Bara Jam 2020 - It's That Time Again

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
bobconway
Regular
Completed: Whale's Waldo, Xenopathy, YAGS, Earth Boys are Easy, Charles 2.0, YAGS Booty Call
Projects: http://bobcgames.com
Tumblr: bobcgames
itch: bobcgames

Bara Jam 2020 - It's That Time Again

#1 Post by bobconway »

BARA JAM is back for its third year!

Bara Jam 2020 is a two-month jam that starts October 1, 2020 and runs through November 30, 2020, and is dedicated to the creation of male and/or male-relationship focused games that feature the Bara influence.

For more details, read on, or visit the official jam page.

So what exactly is Bara? As wikipedia describes it:

"Bara - is a Japanese technical term for a genre of art and fictional media that focuses on male same-sex love usually created by gay men for a gay male audience.

Bara can vary in visual style and plot, but typically features masculine men with varying degrees of muscle, body fat, and body hair, akin to bear culture in gay culture.

While this jam is, of course, open to all participants/audiences of any gender, please be mindful that your submissions have the characterizations of bara and contain characters who are muscular or have a bear-like build, and are possibly hairy or rugged. So although bara can mean different things to different people, a good summary of this jam is a focus on non-bishounen characters, a reflection of varied body shapes and comfortable masculinity.

Also, to be clear, bara need not have NSFW content and submissions can simply discuss themes related to the essence of bara to qualify.

This jam encourages creation of all genres of games and not just visual novels.
Want to join? Come join us in our Discord server to socialize, share ideas, or find a team; and sign up for the jam on itch.io here.

You can also check out entries from 2019 and from 2018.

See my other games here or find me on Twitter

bobconway
Regular
Completed: Whale's Waldo, Xenopathy, YAGS, Earth Boys are Easy, Charles 2.0, YAGS Booty Call
Projects: http://bobcgames.com
Tumblr: bobcgames
itch: bobcgames

Re: Bara Jam 2020 - It's That Time Again

#2 Post by bobconway »

We're just over a week into the jam, but you can still sign up.

Come join us on Discord to participate, or spectate!

See my other games here or find me on Twitter