How do you work with Github and Renpy?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
doorknob22
Regular

How do you work with Github and Renpy?

#1 Post by doorknob22 »

I want to start keeping versions (and learn GitHub while I'm at it). I created a GitHub account and put all my RPY files to a repository I created but I'm not sure I know what to do next.

I guess what I'm missing is connecting the Atom IDE to Github or connect GitHub to the Renpy executable. Is that even possible? If anyone cares to share some guidelines to a GitHub noobie, I'd be very happy!

P.S.: I completed the GitHub tutorial and managed to push, pull and merge, but I'm not sure how to let Renpy know that a file was changed, for example.

Autumnotopia
Regular
Completed: Making Friends
Tumblr: autumnotopiadev
Github: autumngreenley
itch: autumnotopia

Re: How do you work with Github and Renpy?

#2 Post by Autumnotopia »

Probably a bit of a late reply, but I figured I'd leave this here in case you're still struggling with it :)

Even though it's a bit of a leap if it's not something you're used to, I'd recommend downloading this to run git via command line if you haven't already. There's some GUIs that people have made for it, but I feel like in the end the command line is just more reliable (plus it's not a bad skill to pick up in general). There's also guides available for that, they can help a lot to get a basic idea of what's going on.

I actually made a git-for-renpy guide for my friend, it's pretty casually written but I tried to explain things in relatively easy to grasp ways: here's the doc (you can ignore the non-git part haha). It was written with our particular setup in mind (so, two people working on the same project), and simplifies some things just to keep it manageable (usually you'll want to be working on a non-master branch), but it should be a decent enough quick beginners reference.

In addition to that, one thing you may want to look into setting up is a gitignore. It's a little advanced, but a quick thing you can add that will clean your repo up a lot. Basically there's going to be certain files or types of file that you don't want to keep track of - things like save files or compiled code/exes. These will be regenerated without you intentionally changing them pretty often, and can be regenerated on their own to begin with, so you don't need to keep them in your git. Gitignores are the files that git will ignore. It's just a file with the name '.gitignore' that you keep in the root of your project along with your README. Mine looks like this:

Code: Select all

# Don't track content of these folders #
########################################
cache/
saves/

# Compiled source #
###################
*.com
*.class
*.dll
*.exe
*.o
*.so

*.rpyc
*.rpymc

# The log file and other misc things #
######################################
log.txt
errors.txt
traceback.txt
files.txt
Now I don't have to keep track of all of those files when saving to git, so when I go to do a push to git I'm only changing my actual .rpy files and art assets for the most part.

Git is kind of complicated, so when you have questions be sure to be as specific as you can and give concrete examples of what you're looking for. Don't be afraid to ask - you probably will need to until you have a good footing.
A game about loneliness, chess, and fighting monsters with magic