Template for contract form.

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Zahara

Template for contract form.

#1 Post by Zahara »

Hello

I have been searching the forum for a while but I still have a question.
  • If i want to buy a story for commercial use, is there a good template for a contract? I found a few but all of them were a bit weird, can someone link me a good simple form that many people use?
I have been searching and reading the forum for a while but nobody really linked a contract form. I would be happy if someone had a link for me to the forum post if I missed it. Or a link directly to the contract form.

Thanks and best regards.

puppetbomb
Regular
Tumblr: puppetbomb
itch: puppetbomb

Re: Template for contract form.

#2 Post by puppetbomb »

Are you contracting hourly/per word, or is it an existing story you wish to buy off the author?

Zahara

#3 Post by Zahara »

I want to buy a story from a writer who writes it himself with small "changes / ideas" from my side during the story.

However, I want to buy the story for commercial use.
I think a contract would be a good idea if I want to use the story commercially.

I would pay per word, so it will be about 15-30k words I want to buy. However, I would also continue to pay for other texts that are added later, such as "character descriptions", even if this would exceed 30k words in total.

puppetbomb
Regular
Tumblr: puppetbomb
itch: puppetbomb

#4 Post by puppetbomb »

If I'm understanding this correctly, you want the rights to use this person's Intellectual Property (IP), with you as the final authority to OK how the IP will be portrayed in your project. I'm also assuming that if the creator decides to leave the project, you would want the right to contract other writers and continue the story.

What I'm missing is if you still retain the rights after the project is completed, but this is a lot of control you're asking for.

There are three options I can see at the moment:
  • Buy all the rights
    Since I don't know the popularity or the preexisting level of investment this person has made (physical, emotional or financial), it's difficult to know at what price point the creator will part with that amount of control over their work. If their investment is weak, you can get it for fairly cheap (Maybe $100-$500). If not, come back with a higher offer or start negotiating what rights you want to purchase. You will get to make all the changes you want and can pursue legal recourse if the original creator uses the IP they've sold to you for commercial purposes. If you plan on continuing to make more projects using this IP, it's something to consider.
  • Buy limited rights
    The creator will keep the rights to their IP and allow you to use it per project. This one has a lot more grey areas, especially since you want to make changes in the original IP. Royalties should also be discussed.
  • Make enough changes that it becomes a completely new IP
    Do you like the setting? Consider a wealthier/poorer area in a similar world. Is there a relationship dynamic you really like? Maybe shuffle around the relationships of side characters. Commissioning an artist to draw the characters can also differentiate your characters to the creator's enough that you can call it your own IP. It's more work, but it's also probably the cheapest and most frictionless option.
Whatever you choose, be clear in what you want and how much you're willing to pay. Research how much rights go for small indie writers and take some time to put together an offer. Know what issues you can't compromise and which ones you can.

(Also, commissioning the creator for further writing is a separate issue from buying IP. A writing contract is pretty easy to find, so I won't go into that.)

Tl;dr: You need to know what rights you want to use before you can find a contract for it.

Morhighan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: AIdol, When Our Journey Ends, Forgotten Not Lost
Organization: MysteryCorgi
Tumblr: MysteryCorgi
Deviantart: MysteryCorgi
Soundcloud: MysteryCorgi
itch: MysteryCorgi

#5 Post by Morhighan »

If you want to make a custom contract for commissions, I recommend using HelloBonsai and then sending an invoice via paypal. But the best tool to use depends on the situation and what you need.