A OELVN I wanted to discuss using an alternate perspective.

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Coatl
Regular
Projects: Working Title (If I realese the Alpha before I give out a title I'll ask for opinions)

A OELVN I wanted to discuss using an alternate perspective.

#1 Post by Coatl »

I've only played VN's for probably 6-7 months but I've always been interested in the concept of said games because of the whole "Choose-Your-Own-Adventure" aspect. Most oftentimes I find myself playing a character who is really cool with he everyone but is a dick to his childhood friends. One really good example Shiki from "Tsukihime", In the school scenes, he hangs out with Arihiko Inui who he treats rather sorely because he think Arihiko is weird. And in some sections Shiki has treated some of the wommen with severe disdain even thought they miraculously forgive him.

So my idea is to do a VN but from the perspective of the best friend instead of the main character. It's an idewa of what is it like to not have the power but to be surround by people who do, or more like what is like to be the underdog?

The story that i would want to make is currently one route based off the near and far side rout of Twukihime, and it's a parody in nature without absurd humor. It's mostly revolves around the best friend discovering mostly paranormal activity and there's even a scene where he wonders why he doesnt have girls falling for him as they do for the supposed Mian character. so what is your opinion and what would you like to see?

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: E-mail me if you wanna rock the planet

Re: A OELVN I wanted to discuss using an alternate perspective.

#3 Post by JinzouTamashii »

You're clearly creative, why don't you create your own story and setting and go from there? You can use the same ideas but with original characters and your own world.
Don't worry, we can get through it together. I didn't forget about you! I just got overwhelmed.
https://cherylitou.wordpress.com

oiseau
Regular

#4 Post by oiseau »

Not going to comment on the Tsukihime stuff since I don't really know it, but I think that a visual novel played from the perspective of the so-called "main character's" best friend would be interesting to see...a lot of potential to write some funny (and maybe some WTF is going on?) scenes with a plot like that. I like rooting for the underdog, anyway.
Up and coming visual novelist. Another girl obsessed with writing.
x-xImage
x-xJe pense, donc je suis~

delta
Epitome of Generic
Projects: yes

#5 Post by delta »

The problem here is of course that without a pre-established universe, the main character is always who YOU make the main character. So it's not much of a twist. Still an angle worth pursuing maybe, but you will have a far harder time making this clear if you have to establish everything yourself.
The rest is left as an exercise for the reader.

Coatl
Regular
Projects: Working Title (If I realese the Alpha before I give out a title I'll ask for opinions)

#6 Post by Coatl »

JinzouTamashii wrote:You're clearly creative, why don't you create your own story and setting and go from there? You can use the same ideas but with original characters and your own world.
I'm planning to do so, I already designed the Best friend and his super-heroic foil (the guy who typically woulda been the main character) in a sketch book. I want to use Tsukihime as the basis regardless of what one of the replyers said, but I'm not thinking of doing a fanfic or a direct parody since in order to give it that original flavor, I wanted to make the characters and setting more western. So if I decide that this game will be a direct parody, Shiki would probably still be asian, while your main-character that's based off Arihiko would be Irish-american, and I'd probably have one latino, ect.
But I want peoples opinions and suggestion on moments that could indeed happen simply because i want this to not just parody one VN but to bridge out to other VN's as well in a subtle context. I do indeed have original dialouge written in my notebook and a few ideas. I'm even thinking of creating the character in semi-chibi or cartoon style.
delta wrote:The problem here is of course that without a pre-established universe, the main character is always who YOU make the main character. So it's not much of a twist. Still an angle worth pursuing maybe, but you will have a far harder time making this clear if you have to establish everything yourself.
I was thinking of doing a prolouge in which the guy who typically would have been you MC (main character) is introduced and then afterwards a transition to you, the underdog character, and make the story go from there.

I think I should break some forth-wall here and there using lil tricks like him think if his life was a graphic novel or VN and using that as analogy for his life. foer example :If this was a manga he probably woulda been the hero while I'm the sidekick or something."
oiseau wrote:Not going to comment on the Tsukihime stuff since I don't really know it, but I think that a visual novel played from the perspective of the so-called "main character's" best friend would be interesting to see...a lot of potential to write some funny (and maybe some WTF is going on?) scenes with a plot like that. I like rooting for the underdog, anyway.
Yeah I was thinking of doing alot of WTF moments and since I consider myself a VN player from an urban enviornment, I was thinking of following my personal comments and my friends as well, don't worry that does not mean the character will end up ghetto but you'll often here some dialouge that makes you say "OMG I cant believe he said that!", but in a funny way.

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#7 Post by JinzouTamashii »

Coatl wrote:
I think I should break some fourth-wall here and there using lil tricks like him think [i wrote:if[/i] his life was a graphic novel or VN and using that as analogy for his life. for example: If this was a manga he probably would have been the hero while I'm the sidekick or something."
There's a better way to do this, but you've probably seen it before. A show within a show... have him comment on a show on TV which just happens to parallel the plot of the VN... that way you stay "in-universe" without jarring the reader.

Remember, jarring the reader in that way (breaking the fourth wall and directly talking to them) is an old comedy technique that removes narrative distance between your audience, your fictional piece, and the protagonist... maybe even a little overused... by doing so, you could inadvertently render your story impotent in terms of emotional carriage. Your readers may not be very immersed if you do it too often. Daemonophilia suffered from that, in my opinion.
Don't worry, we can get through it together. I didn't forget about you! I just got overwhelmed.

Coatl
Regular

#8 Post by Coatl »

i was also thinking of giving him the power of Bishounen Eyes later one in the game.

Like most of you may know, I dont follow conventional VN trends and draw Bishi/Moe characters, however this power pretty much parodies a rather superficial aspect of VN by turning them to a special (yet honestly useless) ability.

Coatl
Regular

#9 Post by Coatl »

i was also thinking of asking for any school life VNs even more the ones that has some sort of action in there.

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#10 Post by JinzouTamashii »

That Bishounen eyes ability is fun.

Coatl
Regular

#11 Post by Coatl »

JinzouTamashii wrote:That Bishounen eyes ability is fun.
yeah, the idea was based off an older idea I had but i decided to bring it back.