Tricks/effects to make the game more alive/interactive

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
_ticlock_
Miko-Class Veteran

Tricks/effects to make the game more alive/interactive

#1 Post by _ticlock_ »

Hi, All,

There are a lot of tricks, effects, animations for story/game immersion. I just wanted to ask what effects do you find immersive or just lovely to see in games. Or, maybe, there is something that you find trivial or even banal, that you would rather not see at all. Or, something, that made characters/story really alive. Or, just hilarious and entertaining to watch.

We all think so similarly but at the same time completely differently. I would really love to see what is your opinion about tricks, effects, animations for story/game immersion. I know it is pretty general, but 'general question' is not always a bad thing, or is it?! :)

I guess I should start with myself. I love a lot of effects and here some of them:
Animations:
  • Blinking/winking/moving eye's. Animation/art of character related to story/environment: like shaking from time to time when it is cold/ or complaining about puddles and new shoes/ or sweat dripping down the face
  • Shimmering/shining objects. Dropping leaves. Blinking banners.
  • Animated background: rain/clouds/shaking leaves/ passing cars/ flying butterlies/ someone doing exercise or jumping in background/ moving filters(like shimmering line going from left to right from time to time)
Interface related animations:
  • Jumping/dropping/crazy image buttons
  • all kinds of animated text effects (shaking/slowly appearing/ dropping/animatedly written with 'pencil animation'/ floating around like thoughts)
  • Inventory animation: Cell phone related (opening/rotation animation, messaging, etc) and similar staff. Drag and drop for inventory usage. Animated in-game interface: appearing thought-bubbles when hovering, stylish choice menus are really nice.
Interactive environment(when you move or touch something):
  • Parallax effect
  • Bursting bubbles, squeaking animals, talking characters, small animation when touched
  • Following eye's pupil, following butterflies/animals, forming/scattering clouds
Audio
  • Music and sound effects related to all animations enhance the immersion substantially when correctly applied. I can't express it in more details though :oops:
Effects/things that I don't like or find really annoying:
  • Too frequent 'strong' transition. Like screen shaking/some strange movement of frames/or any long transitions that happen within a short amount of time/frames.
  • Non-compatible styles. It is not directly related to animation but defiantly breaks the immersion. For example, half art/ half photo illustrations. Or cyber interface style with a non-cyber related story.
I guess it is enough for a start. Let's see where it will lead us to... :wink:

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: Tricks/effects to make the game more alive/interactive

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

I prefer to make my game more interactive by immersing the player more.
Depends a lot on the game your making, but for instance if you have a section where the player is walking down a forest road known to be a spot frequently raised by bandits, instead of a choice menu asking the player "draw sword?", I personally prefer to signal in the dialogue that having a sword equipped would be a smart idea, and then leave it to the player to actually do so.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

parttimestorier
Veteran
Completed: No Other Medicine, Well Met By Moonlight, RE:BURN, The Light at the End of the Ocean, Take A Hike!, Wizard School Woes
Projects: Seeds of Dreams
itch: janetitor

#3 Post by parttimestorier »

I'm personally not a fan of too many animated text effects, except for occasional emphasis. I read pretty quickly, so animations or frequent pauses that control the speed of the text tend to slow me down and annoy me. One thing I do like sometimes is if there's a short pause at the end of the line - rather than in the middle or anything - in order to highlight a character's changing expression or something else happening on the screen. But I still think it should be used pretty sparingly. I like to read visual novels at my own pace rather than have that control taken away from me too often.

I think another good effect can be moving the "camera" around a bit, like "zooming in" on close-up versions of the sprites when the scene fits it, or panning across larger backgrounds and CGs. I remember Heart of the Woods doing some cool stuff along those lines, especially at points when the characters were filming a video and you could see the perspective through their camera.
ImageImageImage

Elsa Kisiel
Regular
Completed: Shieldlock Holmes
Projects: Home Spatial Home

#4 Post by Elsa Kisiel »

I think you already listed most of my favorites effects !

Here's one that I have not seen in your list: sliding panels effect: (between 16:00 and 16:05)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCoi7lq ... imi%26Ebba
I think it's pretty easy to do and it really helps adding emphasis to the fact the player found the good answer.

When it comes to effects I don't like : just like parttimestorier, I read quickly and I don't like to be forced to read slowly. Unless it's used only once in a while, for a special effect.
Last edited by Elsa Kisiel on Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MapletreePaper
Regular
Projects: Language Barrier
Organization: Naval Maple Media
Discord: MapletreePaper

#5 Post by MapletreePaper »

One thing I've been playing around with in my VN is moving the character sprites themselves. For example, in one scene a character runs ahead of the MC, so I have her zip off the screen horizontally. That's not revolutionary mind you, but it's more kinetic than having her simply fade out. I've added a snow weather effect too, but I think you already covered that when you mentioned rain.

_ticlock_
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by _ticlock_ »

Imperf3kt wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:41 am instead of a choice menu asking the player "draw sword?", I personally prefer to signal in the dialogue that having a sword equipped would be a smart idea, and then leave it to the player to actually do so.
I like that. Basically providing freedom of actions using the interface. So the player can draw the sword anytime and maybe even have some response from companions: "Did you hear something?"
Or maybe in the wrong place something like "Gosh, what are you doing. I can cut the cake with a knife."
parttimestorier wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:06 pm I think another good effect can be moving the "camera" around a bit, like "zooming in" on close-up versions of the sprites when the scene fits it, or panning across larger backgrounds and CGs. I remember Heart of the Woods doing some cool stuff along those lines, especially at points when the characters were filming a video and you could see the perspective through their camera.
Agree. That is something I like as well. When it is properly used it resembles how we look at the picture in real life, wondering around to focus on different parts.
Elsa Kisiel wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:29 pm sliding panels effect
You are right. Pretty classical, although I am not a fan of it. I think it can be very powerful, I just don't know how to use it (or just because I am narrow-minded :) ).
MapletreePaper wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:34 pm One thing I've been playing around with in my VN is moving the character sprites themselves. For example, in one scene a character runs ahead of the MC, so I have her zip off the screen horizontally.
I agree, moving character's sprites is good for immersion. What about animated sprites? For example, somebody coughing and we see an animated coughing sprite from time to time. Is it alright, or too distracting from reading.

parttimestorier wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:06 pm I read pretty quickly, so animations or frequent pauses that control the speed of the text tend to slow me down and annoy me. One thing I do like sometimes is if there's a short pause at the end of the line - rather than in the middle or anything - in order to highlight a character's changing expression or something else happening on the screen. But I still think it should be used pretty sparingly.
Elsa Kisiel wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:29 pm When it comes to effects I don't like : just like parttimestorier, I read quickly and I don't like to be forced to read slowly. Unless it's used only once in a while, for a special effect.
It is a very good point. If you see something too often it is distracting and even annoying. I feel the same. I wonder, how often is not too often? What do you think?

Elsa Kisiel
Regular

#7 Post by Elsa Kisiel »

_ticlock_ wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:16 am It is a very good point. If you see something too often it is distracting and even annoying. I feel the same. I wonder, how often is not too often? What do you think?
Well, in my opinion, controlling the text speed should only be used for a special effect. Like a pause before a revelation, for exemple. Or a mysterious radio message/ghost voice, difficult to decrypt ? It really depends of the story, but it should not be used often, as it would not only be annoying, but also have less impact the more you use it.

parttimestorier
Veteran
Completed: No Other Medicine, Well Met By Moonlight, RE:BURN, The Light at the End of the Ocean, Take A Hike!, Wizard School Woes
Projects: Seeds of Dreams
itch: janetitor

#8 Post by parttimestorier »

Elsa Kisiel wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:00 am
_ticlock_ wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:16 am It is a very good point. If you see something too often it is distracting and even annoying. I feel the same. I wonder, how often is not too often? What do you think?
Well, in my opinion, controlling the text speed should only be used for a special effect. Like a pause before a revelation, for exemple. Or a mysterious radio message/ghost voice, difficult to decrypt ? It really depends of the story, but it should not be used often, as it would not only be annoying, but also have less impact the more you use it.
I agree, and I think one more thing to keep in mind depending on the effect you use is that different people sometimes set different text speeds, which might change how your effect turns out. For instance, if you tend to read with the text scrolling onto the screen slowly, it might seem like a good effect to once in a while have the next line of dialogue cut off the previous one without the reader needing to press enter - but for someone else who reads with the text set to instant, that effect might be totally broken and just flash the first line too quickly to be readable before the next one shows up. On top of using those kinds of things sparingly, you should beta test them on different speeds and see if you need to adjust them.
ImageImageImage

MapletreePaper
Regular
Projects: Language Barrier
Organization: Naval Maple Media
Discord: MapletreePaper

#9 Post by MapletreePaper »

_ticlock_ wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:16 am What about animated sprites? For example, somebody coughing and we see an animated coughing sprite from time to time. Is it alright, or too distracting from reading.
I think that could work. The Ace Attorney series uses that sort of animation for most of its characters and it has never bothered me. Detective Gumshoe for instance, scratches the back of his head every few seconds in one of his poses. As you said, even more basic animation like eye blinking or mouth movements can do a lot to add immersion. As a creator the issue is that a full animation cycle is expensive. This is why I'm limiting myself to sliding the sprites as I described. The only additional cost is my time, coding the animations into Ren'Py.

_ticlock_
Miko-Class Veteran

#10 Post by _ticlock_ »

Elsa Kisiel wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:00 am controlling the text speed should only be used for a special effect.
parttimestorier wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:27 pm different text speeds, which might change how your effect turns out.
Agree. I can only add that some people prefer to click, that also should be considered.
MapletreePaper wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:55 pm As a creator the issue is that a full animation cycle is expensive.
Sadly true.

What about 'effects' that do not involve animation. Like timed choices. Or just acknowledge that the player is taking time to make a decision, that is classical for videogames. For example, if you think longer than 'necessary', the character interrupts you with something like:
"Why don't you say something. I am starting to feel like I am a side character from a visual novel. Creepy feeling."
Or other feedback on the player's actions. Like if you check in-game cell phone while talking to a character, or interact with objects (inventory). I am not talking about story related feedback (like consequences to some choices).

Do you like this type of game feedback or maybe in some games it was irritating?

Do you remember some 'effects' that you really liked or just did not expected at all?

Personally, I like it when combined with references or jokes or reveal a character's personality.

PS: Thank you for your opinion, I appreciate it!

Elsa Kisiel
Regular

#11 Post by Elsa Kisiel »

_ticlock_ wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:26 pm What about 'effects' that do not involve animation. Like timed choices. Or just acknowledge that the player is taking time to make a decision, that is classical for videogames. For example, if you think longer than 'necessary', the character interrupts you with something like:
"Why don't you say something. I am starting to feel like I am a side character from a visual novel. Creepy feeling."
Or other feedback on the player's actions. Like if you check in-game cell phone while talking to a character, or interact with objects (inventory). I am not talking about story related feedback (like consequences to some choices).

Do you like this type of game feedback or maybe in some games it was irritating?

Do you remember some 'effects' that you really liked or just did not expected at all?

Personally, I like it when combined with references or jokes or reveal a character's personality.

PS: Thank you for your opinion, I appreciate it!
For the interaction if you're waiting too long: I like it if it's not too often. If I hear the sentence once, I find it funny. If I hear it three time, it start to be repetitive.

_ticlock_
Miko-Class Veteran

#12 Post by _ticlock_ »

Elsa Kisiel wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:08 am For the interaction if you're waiting too long: I like it if it's not too often. If I hear the sentence once, I find it funny. If I hear it three time, it start to be repetitive.
That's true. I guess, it can be avoided with more response options and reasonable time intervals.