What questions would you like to ask other visual novel creators?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
BananaAndBread
Projects: Interactive user story game - Runway
Github: https://github.com/BananaAndBread/

What questions would you like to ask other visual novel creators?

#1 Post by BananaAndBread »

Hi everybody, I am writing a thesis about visual novel creation. Actually, I am not a really experienced person in visual novels creation and stuff, but things ended up the way they did. My supervisor says that I should conduct an interview/questionnaire to visual novel creators. Are there any ideas of information you would like to get from the research like this? Ideas of questions/statistics which can be put into the research? Thank you in advance!

Errilhl
Regular
Projects: HSS
Deviantart: studioerrilhl
Github: studioerrilhl

Re: What questions would you like to ask other visual novel creators?

#2 Post by Errilhl »

You seem to be starting kind of at the wrong place?

Shouldn't you formulate a hypothesis, and then try to find a way to disprove that, for your research?

Asking what "we" would want to see from some research which is not at all defined, is kinda pointless. What is the purpose of the research? What is the goal, what do you want to accomplish? Do you want to find out what drives the creators, or what type of content we prefer, or what kind of art? How important is sound for VNs?

You need to limit your scope, because currently, you don't even have an idea, just a "I'm gonna research VN creation" - that's not a thesis, that's "I have no idea what I'm doing"-territory.
Currently working on: Image

puppetbomb
Regular
Tumblr: puppetbomb
itch: puppetbomb

#3 Post by puppetbomb »

If you really want to write a thesis based on the development and production of VNs, I suggest you make one first. Also, read the wikipedia page on the history of adventure games. There's a lot of overlap with adventure games and VNs, and it'll help you to know where they diverged.

While I don't know anything about writing a thesis, a good piece of general advice is not to crowd-source ideas for anything professional or academic, as it opens yourself up to legal/ethical issues.

Shadow17

#4 Post by Shadow17 »

Anyone know how to make Ren’py dialog boxes and backgrounds.

Chiagirl
Regular
Completed: Ellen and the Pumpkin
Projects: The Crossing
itch: Chiagirl

#5 Post by Chiagirl »

BananaAndBread wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:32 am Hi everybody, I am writing a thesis about visual novel creation. Actually, I am not a really experienced person in visual novels creation and stuff, but things ended up the way they did. My supervisor says that I should conduct an interview/questionnaire to visual novel creators. Are there any ideas of information you would like to get from the research like this? Ideas of questions/statistics which can be put into the research? Thank you in advance!
I want to know how much most VN devs are actually making, as tracking that information down seems near impossible. I'd also like to know how much of their own money they sunk in and a breakdown of how much went to where (sprites, music, backgrounds, etc.).