What are some simple battle/lite RPG mechanics easy to implement?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
GammaBreak
Regular

What are some simple battle/lite RPG mechanics easy to implement?

#1 Post by GammaBreak »

I had a random idea the other for what I feel like could be a fun erotic visual novel, but it would involve implementing some kind of combat or engaging interaction.

I considered maybe just taking the approach of a choose your own adventure (CYOA) story: multiple branching dialogue paths that could wind up at multiple endings, but I feel like this could have some disadvantages:

For one, if the player doesn't get the ending they want or have to try again, they have to redo everything, which can quickly become tepid and stale. Oh darn, I don't like this outcome, I'm going to go back and skip through everything and try a different option. Darn, same ending, time to redo it again, etc...

Secondly, like how some CYOAs go, there is little strategy involved. Pick an option, you die.

I'm not after anything that complicated, like RPG stats, levels, RNG, etc. I'm looking for something to seamlessly integrate into the VN as dialogue and choices. Closest I can sort of come up with is like a "rock/paper/scissors" approach. Your opponent is big and dumb, so you pick the clever option. But that feels like it could get boring, or worse, equally as cryptic.

doorknob22
Regular

Re: What are some simple battle/lite RPG mechanics easy to implement?

#2 Post by doorknob22 »

My game actually runs my homebrew version of Rock/Paper/Scissors with some caveats to make it more interesting. Here is a little article I wrote on this:

There will be times in Vae Victis - Khan where you need to face an opponent up close and personal. The system employed in the game is called Riposte, Parry and Slash and it is (obviously) based on the Rock Paper Scissors mechanism. However, in order to keep combat interesting, I have added the following variations on the venerable system.

Each Beast has two important factors in combat the amount of damage they dish if the hit connects and their attack pattern. A totally unpredictable foe will have a ⅓ chance to choose Riposte, Parry or Slash, making them (almost) impossible to predict. Other foes will have affinity towards one type of attack, meaning a noticeably higher chance to select Riposte, Parry or Slash. Consider a nimble goblin with relatively low damage output but is very unpredictable, choosing his attacks at perfect randomness. On the other hand, a lumbering ogre will have high damage output but 80% chance to choose Parry so over a few rounds you’ll be able to learn and exploit this vulnerability.

A rare type of attack is called predetermined attack and is reserved for only a few entities. These rare and powerful characters have high damage output, high hit points count and a predetermined pattern of attacks (for example: R,R,P,P,P,P,S,R,R,P,S,S,S etc). The player may either use patience to study their patterns by noting their patterns, dying horribly and reloading the game or go on special quests to seek the wisdom of those who know the specific Lore (i.e predetermined attack) of the dreaded Wyvern, for example.

Other than choosing Riposte, Parry or Slash you will be allowed to determine the force of your attack.
-Normal attacks deal normal damage.
-Defensive attacks deal half damage but if you lose you will only receive half the damage inflicted upon you. This attack is best used when dealing with an unknown opponent.
-Aggressive attacks are the opposite of Defensive attacks: you gamble on a wide open attack and if you manage to land it, you will deal double damage. However, if you lose you will suffer double damage. This attack is suitable for foes you feel confident against.
-The last force of attack is used only when fighting foes you might want to take unharmed. It is called Subdue attack and it deals only half damage but if you manage to beat an opponent with Subdue attacks only, you’ll be to take them alive after the combat. Note that if, during combat, you attack with any force other than Subdue, you will kill your opponent (or die trying).

This system allows players to experiment a little (what is the affinity of the beasts they face) and kill them rather quickly once they manage to identify what the affinity is. Hope this help!

_ticlock_
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by _ticlock_ »

You can implement some skip options for the second and further game runs so players won't get bored or annoyed by repetitive actions. Maybe just skip battles and then just renpy skip for faster replay. Although, it also may break the game engagement.

About simple RPG mechanics. The following comes to the mind:
1) QTE: classical press timely a specific key; or click timely specific area; or maybe type the sequence of arrow-keys.

2) Classical dice/RNG mechanics. There are a lot of books and simple text-RPG that use it. It can be as simple as you mentioned with pick a more appropriate choice option for the opponent and have some dice advantage.

3) It might be purely choice driven mechanics:

For example:
2 opponents. One is strong and slow. The other is an archer.
choices:
  • *Attack the archer first with the bow (requires bow)
  • *Charge to the archer and attack him with a sword (requires light armor and sword)
  • *Attack the strong opponent (requires master sword skill to survive)
  • *DIstract the strong opponent with dust and attack the archer (require battle strategy skill for success)
Some options can be suicidal while other lead to 2 chance with new choices. It can be very engaging, however, I guess it is not simple and requires a lot of writing.

GammaBreak
Regular

#4 Post by GammaBreak »

doorknob22 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:38 pm My game actually runs my homebrew version of Rock/Paper/Scissors with some caveats to make it more interesting. Here is a little article I wrote on this:
Interesting concept! I might be able to work in the idea of different types of enemies like you said, although I'm dealing with a somewhat limited pool of characters. This would be for an erotic wrestling game, so I'd rather not the player just be like "well obviously this is a strength character, so I just need to pick these options and win against them. And I don't like the idea of random chance in a simple game because that just means you are more at the mercy of randomness. But the overall style of the system seems like it would work.
_ticlock_ wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:15 am About simple RPG mechanics. The following comes to the mind:
1) QTE: classical press timely a specific key; or click timely specific area; or maybe type the sequence of arrow-keys.
I hadn't thought about doing QTEs, actually. A cursory search shows that it's doable in Renpy and might be the overall simplest. Not totally elaborate, but with the right touches/sound effects/dialogue, I suppose it could work. And difficulty could scale a bit with time by using faster events.

doorknob22
Regular

#5 Post by doorknob22 »

GammaBreak wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:25 pm
doorknob22 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:38 pm My game actually runs my homebrew version of Rock/Paper/Scissors with some caveats to make it more interesting. Here is a little article I wrote on this:
Interesting concept! I might be able to work in the idea of different types of enemies like you said, although I'm dealing with a somewhat limited pool of characters. This would be for an erotic wrestling game, so I'd rather not the player just be like "well obviously this is a strength character, so I just need to pick these options and win against them. And I don't like the idea of random chance in a simple game because that just means you are more at the mercy of randomness. But the overall style of the system seems like it would work.
See my comment here. You might want to invest into logic which will allow the player to deduct what RPS the opponent will throw. It could be something they say or a visual que (shaking her head = Rock, waving her fist = paper, etc).