Clever way to allow players to guess a string?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
doorknob22
Regular

Clever way to allow players to guess a string?

#1 Post by doorknob22 »

My game employs a Rock/Scissors/Paper battle system. For some opponents, the opponent's "attack string" i.e, series of attacks (Rock, Rock, Rock, Paper, Scissors, Scissors, Rock, etc) is predetermined and I'm looking for clever way that will allow players to guess the string based on some logic or other method.

1. They could find the string scattered in various locations in the map. For example: 1R means the first attack of the beast will always be Rock, 4P means the 4th attack will be Paper etc.
2. A variation of the former method would be finding the string in two parts in two locations (For example: "R,R,R,P" in the cave and "S,S,R" in the temple or something.)
3. They can find the string as whole, only the various letters switched to alternative characters (For example: "#,#,#,@,%,%,#") and they'll have to figure out which is which.

Any other suggestions? Maybe something mathematical?

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: Clever way to allow players to guess a string?

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

Do the players get to refight the adversary? If so, you could make a log book that records the attack patterns used. Smart players will figure it out as they fight, others may notice a pattern in the logs, some may need a helping nudge, such as mentioning to check its previous attacks, somewhere in your dialogue.

Slightly related, may give you some additional ideas.

I use a similar RPS gameplay element, to make it more interesting what I have done is to give the game four difficulty levels and a [next move prediction] indicator on the screen, which tells you what move your opponent is most likely to use next.

Level 1 is called easy. The next move indicator is always accurate and always displayed.
Level 2 is called Casual. The next move indicator is 66% accurate and always shown.
Level 3 is called Hard. The next move indicator is further reduced to 33% accurate and only shows once in every three moves, being blocked for the next two moves.
Level 4 is called Realistic. There is no move indicator and a 5 second timer has been included. If you fail to make a choice in 5 seconds, a random action is taken for you.
If you again fail to make a selection, it repeats your last move.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

doorknob22
Regular

#3 Post by doorknob22 »

I like your levels a lot but I intend to use levels 2-3 as "magic" or other bonuses the player can acquire. Level 1 is essentially nullifying the system, right? The player knows exactly what the critter is going to do?

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Imperf3kt »

Yes, level 1 is effectively for a guaranteed victory.
I've included it for players who don't want to play the game and are only interested in the story, although it can also be used for a guaranteed loss.

Twitter

doorknob22
Regular

#5 Post by doorknob22 »

Cool idea. Maybe I'll implement level 1 as default, by the rest will be acquired via quests, magic etc. Are your opponents attacks completely random? Biased? Pre determined (like the "strings" I posted in my original message?)

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Imperf3kt »

In my game, the attacks are completely randomised, with the difficulty modifying the likelihood of the move predictor being inaccurate.

For all intents and purposes, it is actually a game of Rock, Paper, Scissors

https://mega.nz/file/xMEWUaoB#9NukkaKRS ... UXvISv7Pqo

I don't know how up to date this copy is, but it should give you an idea of how I achieve things. I have however, since improved a few things, so I don't suggest copying it verbatim.

Twitter

doorknob22
Regular

#7 Post by doorknob22 »

My game is already out (0.1.x) and selling, so the system works. I was looking for a way to improve it and during the weekend I came with some ideas regarding my original problem, allowing the players to guess or deduct the beast's next attack.

The clues will be in the roar.

Let's say the Ogre roars "Rah! Fu! Maarr!" before attacking. The "Rah" hints at Rock. I can also make it "Rah! Fu! Maarr!" or "Rah! Fu! Maarr!". In a similar vein, Scissors will be "Suuuuu! Baaaaaar! Looooooffff!" and Paper will be something like "Paaaaas! Looooorr! Niiiiifffff!".

This is easy, the choice is always the first "word" of the roar and is the only "word" starting with the same RPS letter. But I can make it more complex as the game progresses: two "words" starting with RPS letters, but only one of the indicative and other ideas in a similar vein.