A newbie question about inbuilt themes

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Showakun

A newbie question about inbuilt themes

#1 Post by Showakun »

Perhaps the answer is obvious but I can't find it. As a beginner I may not understand something very obvious so sorry if it's silly. :)

Say, Renpy has inbuilt themes, right? They can be changed with a single click. Yes, they are basically same design but with different colors but still.

Can you somehow...add a custom theme to that set of prebuilt themes so you can change it with a single click and not reinsert everything
into a new design?

It could be useful if you are only making games of specific type and you need a base theme for that to test things.

Again, maybe I am just dumb, if so, sorry! :)

qirien
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Metasepia Games
Deviantart: qirien
Github: qirien
itch: qirien
Discord: qirien

Re: A newbie question about inbuilt themes

#2 Post by qirien »

Probably the easiest way to do this would be to create a blank game where all you change is the GUI theme. Then whenever you want to make a new game using this theme, you can copy all its GUI data in.

If you really wanted the Ren'py GUI to show your custom theme, you would need to modify the Ren'Py GUI. It is open source, so that's possible, but would probably be more trouble than it's worth.
Finished games: