Your take on Zero Fund VNs

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
MenmaYu
Deviantart: khrazz001
itch: menmayu

Your take on Zero Fund VNs

#1 Post by MenmaYu »

Okay, so I've been around but not to the point where I can create a game on my own, and I though to myself, "Hey! Why not create a VN which I can profit from?"
Then, that raised the question of "Where do I begin?", "Can I do it myself?", and "In which point do I need to get help who/where to get it from?", which is a lot of question. All these questions led to one ultimate truth; I need funding.
Now, I went online and started looking up ways to fund it and saw this page: https://indie-fund.com/
Do you think it's okay to invest on it? And are there any besides Patreon to help you start making your game?

Elsa Kisiel
Regular
Completed: Shieldlock Holmes
Projects: Home Spatial Home

Re: Your take on Zero Fund VNs

#2 Post by Elsa Kisiel »

I didn't know that website, but it looks pretty neat. A little warning, though : you will have to refund them once your game is released.

By the way, I'm not sure you will be able to fund your game as soon as you start working on it. Usually, it's easier to convince people with a few visuals, and perhaps even a demo. Especially if it's your first game ! On their website, they say that their ability to lend you money to fund your game will depend on whether investors like your project or not. And most game seems to have at least a few visuals and a trailer.
Illustrator • Commission open: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=59346 • My portfolio: https://elsakisiel.artstation.com/

Take a cup of tea and let yourself be charmed by my stories and my drawings. Here, everything is bewitched and bewitching!

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#3 Post by Imperf3kt »

A safer option would be kickstarter, but you'll need to know in advance all your costs.

However, if this is your first time making a visual novel, then I would strongly suggest making your first game using free assets and volunteer writers, so you can get used to what is involved and what to expect.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

VillainousClown

#4 Post by VillainousClown »

I can only agree with what has been mentioned before. You should have something to show of as a 'sales pitch' and play around with renpy before making anything serious, so you can be sure that this is the right program and that you are truly determined to make this game happen. It happens too often that people lose the spark for a project and give up on it.
Funding is difficult to get, especially if this is your first real project. But you can always find free assets as placeholders and change them down the line when funding is archived. Good luck!