When do you recruit a programmer?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
MapletreePaper
Regular
Projects: Language Barrier
Organization: Naval Maple Media
Discord: MapletreePaper

When do you recruit a programmer?

#1 Post by MapletreePaper »

Hi, I'll cut right to the chase. I've been heavily considering switching my current project from Ren'Py to Unity and bringing on a programmer to do most of the heavy lifting when it comes to coding. Putting money aside, at what stage is the best to do this? Right now the script is about 60% finished and I'm just starting to commission character sprites. I've been thinking it would be best to wait until all the assets are completed and then recruit the programmer, but I'm not sure anymore. Can someone point me in right direction?

mavyxdawn
Regular
Github: mavyxdawn
itch: zeillearnings
Discord: _zeil

Re: When do you recruit a programmer?

#2 Post by mavyxdawn »

I haven't recruited anyone before but I'm a game developer.
As long as programmers have a placeholder image (a draft or even just a rectangle), we'll be able to code it provided that there is already a layout for the UI.

In short, only the layout is important. The actual image size for the placeholder should be the same as the final so there won't be additional changes. Once the final assets are done, the programmer can just replace the images in the folder (same filename).
YouTube: Zeil Learnings
itch.io: Zeil Learnings

MapletreePaper
Regular

#3 Post by MapletreePaper »

mavyxdawn wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:59 am I haven't recruited anyone before but I'm a game developer.
As long as programmers have a placeholder image (a draft or even just a rectangle), we'll be able to code it provided that there is already a layout for the UI.

In short, only the layout is important. The actual image size for the placeholder should be the same as the final so there won't be additional changes. Once the final assets are done, the programmer can just replace the images in the folder (same filename).
Thanks for the insight! In that case, I'll be sure to get the UI finished soon.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#4 Post by Imperf3kt »

Just something to think about, Unity is apparently notoriously hard to make visual novels with.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

MapletreePaper
Regular

#5 Post by MapletreePaper »

Imperf3kt wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 6:20 pm Just something to think about, Unity is apparently notoriously hard to make visual novels with.
Interesting... this is the first I've heard of that. I'm not particularly picky or have my heart set on Unity. All I'm looking for is a reliable multiplatform engine. Unity just seemed like the obvious choice. Maybe MonoGame would be a better fit, though admittedly, I don't know much about it. Full disclaimer: I'm not any sort of coder. I can barely use Python in Ren'Py, hence why I'm looking to offload the work to someone else.

mavyxdawn
Regular

#6 Post by mavyxdawn »

Yep, I can attest Visual Novel in Unity is harder unless you use a Unity Asset. I have an ongoing project and I'm also a Unity developer so I tried creating one in Unity. There are no built-in functions for it but you can buy the Dialogue System asset which is almost the same as Ren'Py. I've tried it and it's really easy to use. Just expensive lol I bought mine on sale tho~

There is a free asset called Fungus. I haven't tried this one but it's worth the shot. The dev you hire can just add additional features that are missing.

MapletreePaper
Regular

#7 Post by MapletreePaper »

mavyxdawn wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 7:11 pm Yep, I can attest Visual Novel in Unity is harder unless you use a Unity Asset. I have an ongoing project and I'm also a Unity developer so I tried creating one in Unity. There are no built-in functions for it but you can buy the Dialogue System asset which is almost the same as Ren'Py. I've tried it and it's really easy to use. Just expensive lol I bought mine on sale tho~

There is a free asset called Fungus. I haven't tried this one but it's worth the shot. The dev you hire can just add additional features that are missing.
I appreciate you going out of your way to link some assets. I'll take what you said under advisement, though like I said above, I'm not that dead set on using Unity. It might be better for me to choose a different engine all together.

mavyxdawn
Regular

#8 Post by mavyxdawn »

Glad to help! It's cuz I agree that Unity is best to use if you want to ship to other platforms such as Nintendo Switch, Xbox and Playstation. If you're just staying on mobile and desktop, Ren'Py should be good enough~

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#9 Post by Imperf3kt »

I'd agree with the above overall, however there are companies that can port Ren'py to Playstation 3, 4, Vita and Nintendo Switch
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

mavyxdawn
Regular

#10 Post by mavyxdawn »

Ohhhhh :O okay. That I didn't know :O Thanks for the info!