Is Indiegogo a good crowdfunding platform for VN

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
ConradAnime
Regular

Is Indiegogo a good crowdfunding platform for VN

#1 Post by ConradAnime »

So I was planning on doing Kickstarter but then I saw that my country is not available there so I'm thinking of switching on Indiegogo. Can anyone tell me if this is a good platform for Visual Novel to crowdfund or the success rate is lower than in Kickstarter. My plans have been completely thrown off because of the KS policy but I don't want to just abandon my project and now I'm looking for a solution.

dragondatingsim
Regular
Tumblr: angelswithscalywings

Re: Is Indiegogo a good crowdfunding platform for VN

#2 Post by dragondatingsim »

Indiegogo's reputation is not as good as Kickstarter's, but the main consideration for potential backers will still be the product. If you have fans who are interested in what you have to offer, the platform shouldn't be a big hindrance.

At the time I crowdfunded my VN, Kickstarter was not available in my country either. I considered going through an intermediate to still run the campaign on KS, but ultimately decided against it.

The campaign was still successful on Indiegogo.

Of course there's no telling if it would have been more successful on KS, and by how much.

ConradAnime
Regular

#3 Post by ConradAnime »

dragondatingsim wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:18 am Indiegogo's reputation is not as good as Kickstarter's, but the main consideration for potential backers will still be the product. If you have fans who are interested in what you have to offer, the platform shouldn't be a big hindrance.

At the time I crowdfunded my VN, Kickstarter was not available in my country either. I considered going through an intermediate to still run the campaign on KS, but ultimately decided against it.

The campaign was still successful on Indiegogo.

Of course there's no telling if it would have been more successful on KS, and by how much.
Do you have any advice in crowdfunding in this platform based on your experience? We are a new team and this is the first game we would launch so I'm kind of nervous, we plan to release a demo soon though so people could see what we already have and could give.

dragondatingsim
Regular
Tumblr: angelswithscalywings

#4 Post by dragondatingsim »

ConradAnime wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:57 am Do you have any advice in crowdfunding in this platform based on your experience? We are a new team and this is the first game we would launch so I'm kind of nervous, we plan to release a demo soon though so people could see what we already have and could give.
There aren't really any big differences on IGG vs. KS.
Indiegogo even has a small advantage in that it can accept Paypal as a payment method.
Indiegogo also has an option for "flexible funding" (you will get the money even if you don't raise your target amount), but I don't recommend this. Just choosing a sensible target amount that actually matches your needs is generally much better.

Otherwise, it's fairly similar. Just look at successful campaigns on both platform to see what the campaigns looked like and what kinds of information you should also put on yours.

A demo is of course very helpful for potential backers.

ypressgames
Regular
Completed: To Trust an Incubus, My Magical Demon Lover, Gods of Love, Mister Versatile
Projects: Alpha Hole Prison, Maelstrom
Organization: Y Press Games
Tumblr: ypressgames
Soundcloud: ypressgames
itch: ypressgames
Discord: Y Press Games#4885

#5 Post by ypressgames »

Kickstarter has built itself as the place to crowdfund games. That's where most of their money comes from, and 30% of the backers for your project will show up just because they search Kickstarter for games to back. We do Indiegogo and Kickstarter, but Kickstarter is by far better. Consider this case study:

We put our game Maelstrom on Indiegogo because it was too soon for us to use Kickstarter again (we still had to deliver rewards for a past project). Maelstrom made $6000. (This is still a high amount to get for a game. We've built up a large social media network.)

We put our game Vampire Slave on Kickstarter. Vampire Slave has the same artists, same writer, and same genre as Maelstrom. The Kickstarter made over $12,000

See if you can find someone from a country that Kickstarter supports to launch your project for you. You need to have a clear contract that makes them blameless if you fail to deliver or deliver late, and they must be fairly compensated for their help. I can't help you. We use Kickstarter as often as is possible right now already for our own games.
~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'
Y Press Games, Making Yaoi, Bara, and Gay Romance Visual Novels - Are You Y-Curious?
https://discord.gg/Vd23qJ4
https://www.facebook.com/ypressgames/
https://twitter.com/ypressgames