Help with VIOLA Game Mechanics!

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
DFlimbingo
Regular

Help with VIOLA Game Mechanics!

#1 Post by DFlimbingo »

Hey!! If you haven't seen it, I've put out a demo on my game, VIOLA. If you haven't tried it yet, please do so if you'd like!

I've been getting a lot of good feedback, but now I need specific help on the mechanics of the game. The system is currently very simple, so I want to see if these things can be changed out to be better.

Currently, there are three options for each dialogue section. I don't think I can expand it to four since space is at a premium currently in the game, and it would make developing each section take a lot longer (more options to develop, etc) but I still want to support player interaction/agency.

The first idea I was recommended and thought of was something similar to Ace Attorney games. Where you would go into your inventory/evidence menu and present an item to the person you're speaking to. It's a very simple way to give the player choice, but would it be good for my game so far? I already have a decent inventory system in place (check the EVIDENCE button to have a quick peek at it) so it hopefully wouldn't be too hard to implement in Renpy, but I'm not sure if that would cause the game to become too similar to the AA games. I know other investigation games have different systems of doing it (such as AI:The Somnium Files, Danganronpa, etc) but I'm not as experienced in those games to take from those concepts.

If you have any ideas of how to put in more player interaction into VIOLA, please tell me so!