Self Voicing and Accessibility - Discussion and Questionnaire

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
JenivereDomino
Regular
Completed: Summer Horrordays
Projects: "Project Cadence" (Placeholder)
Organization: PunderBash Games
Deviantart: JenivereDomino
Github: JenivereSH
itch: punderbashgames
Discord: Jenivere #1227

Self Voicing and Accessibility - Discussion and Questionnaire

#1 Post by JenivereDomino »

I have been thinking about how to make sure my games are going to be fully accessible, including making good use of the self-voicing and alt function in Ren'py for image description and name pronunciations. I've got a good idea of how to implement these features, but I'm gathering some feedback on what people who use them would want to be included (like how much detail to put in an image description and how often to use image descriptions).

To this end I have put together a questionnaire, and I would really appreciate it if any of you use self-voicing or screen readers if you could fill this out. If you don't use these features yourself, but know someone who does, it would b very much appreciated if you'd consider passing the link on for their input. There's a section for blind and partially sighted users, and another section for those who use self-voicing or screen readers for other reasons. This is only for people who use these features, but if you have any thoughts from a developer perspective please leave a comment reply below instead.

Questionnaire link - https://forms.gle/AnnU1Fx4jr9WGXt37

I hope to be able to compile the results and share them here when I'm done, so we can use it to see what kinds of things people would like from the image descriptions and in general for VN games to be more accessible to people who use screen readers or self-voicing to play VNs. feel free to contact me here, by email, or on discord if you would like to discuss more about accessibility in VN games and/or how to effectively make use of the alt character with self voicing.
Mighty Morphine Vowel Arranger

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: Self Voicing and Accessibility - Discussion and Questionnaire

#2 Post by Zelan »

I'd definitely be interested in seeing your results from this if you have them (: