Alone Ending and Heart Systems

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
SwingAndToons
Soundcloud: =

Alone Ending and Heart Systems

#1 Post by SwingAndToons »

Hello there!

I am currently working on a game. In truth it is the first time I am this excited and motivated to get a story out. Ultimately, I know I want to release the game because I enjoy and am proud of it. But I thought it may not hurt to get some perspective on some recent questions that have been popping up in my mind. In order to keep the topics somewhat separate, I am going to break it up into a few posts. So my apologies for the spam!

What are your thoughts on alone ending options? I am contemplating giving the option for the player to choose not to engage with the interests at all. Therefore not raising any deep romantic connection between an interest. So there could be an ending where she ends up on her own and maybe some light friendships with the interests. This isn't really a "bad ending" per se. And to be frank, I don't really plan on making true "bad endings" as it doesn't really seem to fit. Additionally, I am contemplating scripting in "rivals" per say. I don't think these gals are hostile or antagonistic, but if the MC chooses to not engage with the interests, they eventually move on and end up with someone else.

And somewhat related to the previous question:
What is the best "heart system"? In my plan there are three interests and ultimately two "phases" of the story. To put it simply, midway through an event occurs that fundamentally changes the main character and interests. My thought process is rather than picking a route, based on your actions you accrue a certain amount of hearts with an interest. There is one main storyline and based on bonds created, some aspects are different. But I don't think it's different enough to justify an entirely separated route. There would be "heart checks" where based on your previous interactions certain characters would show up during certain story beats. Or if you didn't talk to anyone or didn't engage with them enough, it would be the MC on her own. As much as I like the idea, I feel like it runs the risk of isolating a player who is trying to test the waters of everyone before choosing someone. Or who the event wants to change to someone else entirely. I feel like the concept of the alone ending plays heavily to this as hypothetically these people would end up on that path by diversifying who they spend their time with. Additionally, if someone wanted to switch, they would be at a severe disadvantage to try and reach the check needed at such a late point. Unless the points increase as you go on? (I am not sure if this is too complicated of an idea in general and I should scrap it)

My apologies if this doesn't quite make sense. I am trying to iron out jumbled thoughts.

Elsa Kisiel
Regular
Completed: Shieldlock Holmes
Projects: Home Spatial Home

Re: Alone Ending and Heart Systems

#2 Post by Elsa Kisiel »

Alone ending : 👍 This has been done in "cute demon crasher" (https://sugarscript.itch.io/cute-demon-crashers) and it was really thoughtful and nicely done.

Heart system: I'm the kind of player who would try talking with everyone, so, yes, I would definitively prefer if the game asked me to confirm who I want to pursue. I know it feel a little more artificial though.
Illustrator • Commission open: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=59346 • My portfolio: https://elsakisiel.artstation.com/

Take a cup of tea and let yourself be charmed by my stories and my drawings. Here, everything is bewitched and bewitching!

SwingAndToons

#3 Post by SwingAndToons »

Elsa Kisiel wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:24 am Alone ending : 👍 This has been done in "cute demon crasher" (https://sugarscript.itch.io/cute-demon-crashers) and it was really thoughtful and nicely done.

Heart system: I'm the kind of player who would try talking with everyone, so, yes, I would definitively prefer if the game asked me to confirm who I want to pursue. I know it feel a little more artificial though.
Oh cool! I think I remember playing that awhile back. I need to download it again

Ah I see. That certainly makes sense. I think I should be able to work in a final choice towards the end of phase one. I suppose that before that instead of heart levels it could be character specific CGs. I'm never quite sure how to telegraph that clearly. Is something like

This is the last night before the project. Should I call someone?
(This choice will determine what route you are on for the rest of the game)
Call Mason
Then at the end: You got the ending "Hello Nurse!"

Call Kai
Then at the end of the game: You got the ending "Sun & The Sea"

Call Finn
Then at the end of the game: You got the ending "Suit Up"

Nah, I would rather just review on my own
Then at the end of the game: "Friends Forever"

To obvious? (Not actual achievement names. And I am debating achievements at all. But you get the idea)

Additionally, if routes are the best angle. Do you feel like it would be best to include a "bad ending"? There is a part of me that is worried if routes are chosen, then someone may feel like their choices don't particularly matter if it ends happily from that point on

Elsa Kisiel
Regular
Completed: Shieldlock Holmes
Projects: Home Spatial Home

#4 Post by Elsa Kisiel »

SwingAndToons wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:07 am This is the last night before the project. Should I call someone?
(This choice will determine what route you are on for the rest of the game)
Call Mason
Then at the end: You got the ending "Hello Nurse!"

Call Kai
Then at the end of the game: You got the ending "Sun & The Sea"

Call Finn
Then at the end of the game: You got the ending "Suit Up"

Nah, I would rather just review on my own
Then at the end of the game: "Friends Forever"
That's working well, I think. Some people might prefer something more subtle, but I like it like that.

Bad endings: does it fit your story? If yes, why not? I loved the bad endings from The knife of the traitor (https://tsukiyo-novel.nanami.fr/projets ... e-traitor/). The only kind of bad ending I don't like are the ones that feel underserved (like, asking the player to go right or left, and one of the possibilities is a bad ending, with no clue at all).
Illustrator • Commission open: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=59346 • My portfolio: https://elsakisiel.artstation.com/

Take a cup of tea and let yourself be charmed by my stories and my drawings. Here, everything is bewitched and bewitching!

Mutive
Veteran
Completed: Eidolon, Minion!, Love Furever, Epilogue

#5 Post by Mutive »

I personally really loved the asexual ending for Arcade Spirits (https://store.steampowered.com/app/9106 ... e_Spirits/)

It worked (for me) in that you didn't really lose out on anything by taking that path (other than a romance, I guess?). The story follows the same no matter who you romance, with the difference being that in a few scenes you go to the beach with the person you're in love with vs. going to the movies with your best friend if you choose to follow the ace ending.

The rest of the game follows more or less the same plot, just your best friend encourages you vs. your love interest.

So I think that games can definitely have great "no romance" options, you just need to make sure that they don't feel like most of the content is missing because the player didn't choose to romance someone.
Enjoy Eidolon, my free to play game at: https://mutive.itch.io/eidolon, Minion! at: https://mutive.itch.io/minion or Epilogue at: https://mutive.itch.io/epilogue

SwingAndToons

#6 Post by SwingAndToons »

Mutive wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:40 pm I personally really loved the asexual ending for Arcade Spirits (https://store.steampowered.com/app/9106 ... e_Spirits/)

It worked (for me) in that you didn't really lose out on anything by taking that path (other than a romance, I guess?). The story follows the same no matter who you romance, with the difference being that in a few scenes you go to the beach with the person you're in love with vs. going to the movies with your best friend if you choose to follow the ace ending.

The rest of the game follows more or less the same plot, just your best friend encourages you vs. your love interest.

So I think that games can definitely have great "no romance" options, you just need to make sure that they don't feel like most of the content is missing because the player didn't choose to romance someone.
Thanks so much! You bring up a good point

skybeargames
Completed: The Nine Lives of Nim: Fortune's Fool , Wonderland Nights: White Rabbit's Diary
Projects: Her Jentle Hi-ness
Tumblr: skybeargames
itch: skybeargames

#7 Post by skybeargames »

I agree, big thumbs up on alone endings as being a positive way to end a story.

Personally, when I write romances into my games, I actually like to have consent from my players. I can definitely see how it might be artificial, but I would far rather have the player enter the character into the relationship with consent than get a complaint about feeling blindsided by unlocking a relationship they didn't mean to.

jeffster
Veteran

#8 Post by jeffster »

I like it when those are the choices that form your path. And they can be formulated in a manner subtle enough, e.g.:

- "I feel that ultimately I would like to be with Mason. I should call him now..."
- ... etc.

Also, when a game has a points-based system, that often provokes players to choose answers which would supposedly yield max points, rather the answers they would really like. They even use walkthroughs etc instead of just playing... That's another disadvantage of points/hearts systems.