How long is too long?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
SwingAndToons
Soundcloud: =

How long is too long?

#1 Post by SwingAndToons »

Hello there!

I am currently working on a game. In truth it is the first time I am this excited and motivated to get a story out. Ultimately, I know I want to release the game because I enjoy and am proud of it. But I thought it may not hurt to get some perspective on some recent questions that have been popping up in my mind. In order to keep the topics somewhat separate, I am going to break it up into a few posts. So my apologies for the spam! (This is the last topic that I have been thinking over so I promise I am done for now)

How long is too long? Currently the framework of the idea exists within a college school year. Two semesters, two weeks per semester. I worry this may be stretching it too much and people would get bored or feel like the pace is too slow.

Speaking of it being in the framework of a school year, what is "too extra". For example, I find myself drawn to a Halloween experience, a christmas/holiday/new years experience and an almost beach episode spring break. (Thanksgiving and Valentine's day may need to be explored if I do pursue actual holiday landmarks). But is this just needless extra?

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: How long is too long?

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

I'd argue to say there is no such thing as "too long", rather a story usually fails by becoming stale, or cliche as it goes on. Repeating the same dialogue patterns, relying on the same gimmicks, adding content for the sake of centent (often called padding or filler), is usually what makes me bore of a story/game.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

MapletreePaper
Regular
Projects: Language Barrier
Organization: Naval Maple Media
Discord: MapletreePaper

#3 Post by MapletreePaper »

Sorry to give a non-answer, but this is 100% subjective. When it comes to length, visual novels share the same rules as books. It simply ends when the story ends. If you visit the Visual Novel Database (https://vndb.org) you can find commercial VNs which are 50+ hours long. I would never recommend tackling that kind of project as an indie dev, realistically a studio is required for such a game, but these beasts do exist. I say make it as long as you need. Just try your best to make sure it comes out this century. :wink:
Last edited by MapletreePaper on Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elsa Kisiel
Regular
Completed: Shieldlock Holmes
Projects: Home Spatial Home

#4 Post by Elsa Kisiel »

MapletreePaper wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:06 am Sorry to give a non-answer, but this is 100% subjective. When it comes to length, visual novels share the same rules as books. It simply ends when the story ends. If you visit the Visual Novel Database (vndb.org) you can find commercial VNs which are 50+ hours long. I would never recommend tackling that kind of project as an indie dev, realistically a studio is required for such a game, but these beasts do exist. I say make it as long as you need. Just try your best to make sure it comes out this century. :wink:
This. ↑↑↑ 100% agree
Illustrator • Commission open: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=59346 • My portfolio: https://elsakisiel.artstation.com/

Take a cup of tea and let yourself be charmed by my stories and my drawings. Here, everything is bewitched and bewitching!

SwingAndToons

#5 Post by SwingAndToons »

Imperf3kt wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:48 am I'd argue to say there is no such thing as "too long", rather a story usually fails by becoming stale, or cliche as it goes on. Repeating the same dialogue patterns, relying on the same gimmicks, adding content for the sake of centent (often called padding or filler), is usually what makes me bore of a story/game.
Fair point. If I include those little side tangent experience I need to make extra sure that they actually have an impact or influence something.
Thanks!

SwingAndToons

#6 Post by SwingAndToons »

Elsa Kisiel wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:11 am
MapletreePaper wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:06 am Sorry to give a non-answer, but this is 100% subjective. When it comes to length, visual novels share the same rules as books. It simply ends when the story ends. If you visit the Visual Novel Database (vndb.org) you can find commercial VNs which are 50+ hours long. I would never recommend tackling that kind of project as an indie dev, realistically a studio is required for such a game, but these beasts do exist. I say make it as long as you need. Just try your best to make sure it comes out this century. :wink:
This. ↑↑↑ 100% agree

Oh yeah I couldn't do that long. But that is a really good point. And comforting to know that I am not reaching too far by pushing it out a bit.
Thank you!