I'm new and I just started to make a game

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.

I'm new and I just started to make a game

#1 Post by Guest »

hi everyone.
I'm asuka kanea. I just start to make my own game. I'm starting with all the character designs first and then the back grounds. and I'm writing the script out....so I know where to diverg from the story. I've never done this before so I don't really know what is best to start first with. anyways
it's typical high school story. you know like tokimeki or one of the other ones. high school boy is surrounded by 6 ore more cute girls and he has to get one of them to be his girl friend. It'll have like 8 diffrent endings. does that sound boring? I didn't really know what to do so I decided to do something typical.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#2 Post by mikey »

Well, actually in the field of fan-made ren'ai there isn't a classical schoolboy-6girls game yet! Somewhat strange, but true. There are projects, but none of them are finished.

Many people will give you the advice of starting small, which isn't so wrong, especially when you're just starting. Take a look at http://www.renai.us and try some of the games - it's not impossible to have 8 endings with 2 girls (or one).

You can try this article for starters...
http://www.renaigames.com/dev_mikey1.html

And you know... welcome, have fun and all that... :P

asuka kanea

here's a picture

#3 Post by asuka kanea »

here's a character design I did I on the computer using a template body.
this is ayumi
Attachments
Anorm.gif
Anorm.gif (4.82 KiB) Viewed 3328 times

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: NaNoRenO 2016, Ren'Py tutorial series

#4 Post by Megaman Z »

hmm... (studies pic for what seems like ages)

...it's good. the only guys here that do better are A) part of the bigger dev teams (I think mikey's group would count), or B) not working for free. (plenty of examples out there)

(I know Labbit could do better, but he's been AWOL)
~Kitsune Zeta

asuka kanea

thankies

#5 Post by asuka kanea »

awww thanks for all the and comments. *blush about the picture* aww shucks. that's actually not a final picture for the game...it's just the design of the uniform....If I had a scanner I'd use the stuff I draw by hand(which is much better) but I don't have a scanner so I have to draw in paint shop with a mouse. so it looks a bit crappy. I was thinking about doing a beta version of the game.....just for practice. what kind of games have you guys made so far?

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Megaman Z »

my advice? save up some money so you can get a scanner.
I'm willing to bet that even those "pen-mouse" things that let you draw using a pen-like device probably won't help too much and will prevent some unique styles from occuring. do, however, leave coloring for whatever program you use (best bet is a program that supports layers...*digs out art book*...the one listed here is "Adobe Photoshop"... the guy (Peter Gray, in case you were interested) also adds that you should probably scan the image at a high resolution [500 dpi])

about games>>the genre is more "Visual Novel" then renai in most cases. either way, unless you want like an RPG (such as FLARE's Romancing Walker) or a platformer (no example yet, but I've considered the possibility), just use Renpy. once you get the basics, start working through scripting yourself. most of the games here (ignoring Shoujo Attack for obvious reasons) can be broken down into renpy statements (Dre's "reconstruction", though, required python statements, which I believe PyTom supplied him with. [either that, or Dre had waaaay too much time on his hands])

(speaking of PyTom, you might want to listen to his posts. he's very knowledgeable on most subjects that can reasonably be brought up here, and he's the guy behind the renpy engine.)
~Kitsune Zeta

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#7 Post by PyTom »

Megaman Z wrote:my advice? save up some money so you can get a scanner.
Scanners are actually quite cheap. I got mine refurbished for $35 USD... and I believe that included shipping.

That being said, when I used to draw I did it in vector graphics (using the inkscape program) with the mouse, and did the coloring using a wacom tablet, which I got for $90 or so on amazon. I think the tablet is necessary if you're going to color on the computer.

All art advice is provisional.

about games>>the genre is more "Visual Novel" then renai in most cases.
Ren'Ai is a genre, VN is a medium. My gut feeling is that the genre would probably be better entitled "Romance", but we all think that the Japanese makes it sound cooler, and of course we don't want the association with romance novels.
(speaking of PyTom, you might want to listen to his posts. he's very knowledgeable on most subjects that can reasonably be brought up here, and he's the guy behind the renpy engine.)
I also know a few things about stuff that can't reasonably be brought up here. Like... Karnaugh maps. Or George S. Patton. I'm just a veritable fountain of useless knowledge.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

asuka kanea

art stuff

#8 Post by asuka kanea »

thanks guys! I'll check out that stuff. I've been looking for a cheap scanner or digital camera.(for my portfolio I had to use a digi camera my bigger pieces and it works just as good as a scanner) it's just that I'm a broke college student at the moment. sometimes it's easier to uses the computer to draw on. like when doing buildings and such. no need for a ruler because it can automatically make straight lines. I use paint to draw in and then paint shop pro to color in. those pencil mouses aren't that bad once you get used to it. it's alot easier than a mouse. my friend has one it's great if you have adobe or sometime of good art program.

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#9 Post by musical74 »

It sounds like you have a good idea, and have the means to work with it. If you have questions, feel free to ask any of the guys or gals that have down ren'ai here - mikey, eclispe, PyTom, Blue Lemma, Grey, TaleWeaver, Chronoluminare (I HOPE I spelled that right!)...Everyone is quite willing to pass on their knowledge to help you out. I'm mainly one of those that plays all the games and says *geeeeeeez I'd love to be able to make a game like that*...but I have all the artistic ability of a turnip...have lots of ideas but I can't draw worth a darn.

Welcome aboard!
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

asuka kanea

#10 Post by asuka kanea »

I'm mainly one of those that plays all the games and says *geeeeeeez I'd love to be able to make a game like that*...but I have all the artistic ability of a turnip...have lots of ideas but I can't draw worth a darn.
if you wanna make a game I can do the art for you. just pm me if you'd like my help

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#11 Post by mikey »

musical74 wrote:I'm mainly one of those that plays all the games and says *geeeeeeez I'd love to be able to make a game like that*...but I have all the artistic ability of a turnip...have lots of ideas but I can't draw worth a darn.
asuka_kanea wrote:if you wanna make a game I can do the art for you. just pm me if you'd like my help
Hmmm... it's definitely possible, write the script, the other one will draw the characters and then just look for someone who can put it all together... It's been done before, so why not?

asuka kanea

game making!

#12 Post by asuka kanea »

yea.....I can't image there are many people who just do the 'putting all together' part.....it seems like that's the boring part. I'm going to try to make a simple beta version for my game....with one character and 3 endings. the coding thing looks a bit overwhelming

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#13 Post by mikey »

I don't think that's a boring part though. You get to design the overall graphic look (perhaps menu colors), you decide what the textbox will look like, you can add drama by starting and stopping music, fading in and out, letting characters appear and disappear... You can use fonts to bring up emotion, decide on the type of transitions and perhaps even how the saves will be named... Plus you can ask your team to additionally do one or two more facial expressions... and you get to make an omake section (should the game have one), there are thousands of things. ^_^

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran

#14 Post by Megaman Z »

if it isn't renpy you want to use, I don't think I can do the "putting it all together"... I don't think VB (Visual Basic) is such a good idea (**** data control... always screwing up on a non-windows OS), and I lack knowledge of other languages (I will be trying to learn Python when Civilization 4 comes out for modding purposes... maybe I can turn that into a renai/stratagy game instead of just a stratagy game...)
~Kitsune Zeta

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#15 Post by rioka »

If you don't mind trying to figure out the ins-and-outs of an engine, there's Nscipter, a Japanese industry-standard VN engine recently translated by gp32 and friend(s), as announced at this Lemmasoft thread. I had a chance to look at it more indepth yesterday and it looks fairly simple.