I'm new and I just started to make a game

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#16 Post by Taleweaver »

I can only recommend working together in a team where you split up the work as diversely as possible. For Metropolitan Blues, I had the idea and wrote the script, but it was eclipse who provided the art, a friendly Scottish composer living in New Zealand who wrote the music, and Kikered put it all together AND did all the editing and directing work! The result? Just beautiful. Of course, you need to be able to trust everybody on the team to get their job done :)
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Dre
Regular

#17 Post by Dre »

Megaman Z wrote: (Dre's "reconstruction", though, required python statements, which I believe PyTom supplied him with. [either that, or Dre had waaaay too much time on his hands])
LOL no, no, everything in Reconstruction was done easily using Ren'py. I actually know close to nothing about python but what's in Ren'py. "If" statements is what got me through most of the tough stuff. Nothing more.(Unless if statements work directly from python, then i'm guilty)

asuka kanea

making games

#18 Post by asuka kanea »

I was thinking of using renpy. I just downloaded it a week ago. I've been looking at tutorials and such. it doesn't seem that hard. it's no more harder than HTLM or making a kiss doll (it's a paper doll for the computer)
I'm pretty good at figuring out new languages. it's all pretty logical so it's easy to figure out. I just wanna get all the backgrounds and character expressions done before I start programing the game. I recently played
the PK girl on adrift. has anyone used that program before?
thanks for all the great suggestions! you make a newbie feel welcome!

bookie
Veteran

#19 Post by bookie »

I definitly suggest you try out Renpy. If you have a little background in programing it will be very easy to use (even though I made enough stupid mistakes to perhaps suggest otherwise)

As far as art equipment goes, I'd be impressed if you can get by without ever needing a scanner, but although a tablet makes things ten times easer, with practice you can do passable things with a mouse as well. I'm cheap so I've had three years practice using a mouse, and it gets easier and easier. XD But then again if you're going to do anything professional grade, tabbies are the way to go. I've never heard of a pencil mouse but I might check it out.

Also, I suggest that you have a good part of the script done /before/ you start drawing. That way you will know exactly what you need. I had to revise my graphic list multiple times as I went through as I realized I needed to add one thing or drop another.

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#20 Post by rioka »

bookie wrote:Also, I suggest that you have a good part of the script done /before/ you start drawing. That way you will know exactly what you need. I had to revise my graphic list multiple times as I went through as I realized I needed to add one thing or drop another.
Unless you predefine the story outline and graphics needed from the get-go so you don't need to make additions. I had to do that with GSK for NaNoRenO. Working with constraints keeps you from unnecessary additions (or at least too many additions) and within schedule. But each to his/her own. =)

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#21 Post by mikey »

That's true, so IMO what you can do is write the story, but do have those limitations in the back of your head, because one day you wake up and the story is completed... but then you realize it is so huge you'll need 150 backgrounds and 20 characters, now solve that! :roll:

If possible, try to make say 10 background sketches (or just placeholders) and then think what text could be on screen while those images are displayed. An example:

You have the BG image [Aquapark outside].
So you try to fit the plot so that it takes place not inside and outside plus on the waterslides and in the showers (*gulp*), because you'd need 4 backgrounds. Instead of that, you can try to write the story so that the Aquapark events take place outdoors, so that you don't have to work on 4x as many images.

Every now and then this is a good trick, you'll just have to decide on the tradeoff, how many images are the very maximum vs. the fact that too little images can have a negative effect on atmosphere and you'll have to describe those not seen locations in words (over black screen) if they are important.

bookie
Veteran

#22 Post by bookie »

Eclipse, I wish I could keep myself in the constraints I set. XD I suppose it depends on if you're the type of person who tends to improvise, or someone who stays the course no matter what.

asuka kanea

script

#23 Post by asuka kanea »

I've been writing the script as I go along with drawing. i draw alot of comic books. so I naturally draw and write simultaniously. I've had 6 years of drawing via mouse. so I'm pretty used to it. I'll be getting a scanner or a digital camera soon so hopefully that'll make it easier. I don't think I'm gonna go for professional for my first game...I'm amaing for something not crappy. the picture I'm adding is the girl that the player is trying to date. her name is ayumi honda. I'm not totally pleased with it, but I can touch it up latter.
Attachments
awunorm.gif
awunorm.gif (10.21 KiB) Viewed 923 times