I'm working on in a Dating Game...

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
LJEARTS

I'm working on in a Dating Game...

#1 Post by LJEARTS »

hi folks, i'm in an early stage of development, i'm working on a dating sim game with some details of life simulation and humorous adventure ... the simple plot is of a teenager in the last year of high school who moves to a small town and live adventures there, work, fall in love, moments +18 haha, among other things ... I would like to know your opinions about what things you like about these games, ideas, recommendations, etc ... I await your answers ...

Fabrican
itch: https://fabrican.itc

Re: I'm working on in a Dating Game...

#2 Post by Fabrican »

Make mini game, where we players can puzzle their girl's NSFW versions and earn precious artwork as a reward.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by gekiganwing »

LJEARTS wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:25 pm I would like to know your opinions about what things you like about these games, ideas, recommendations, etc...
1. Know your limits. Only commit to writing and coding as much as you can handle. In other words, be willing to eliminate characters, locations, and plot lines which aren't necessary. Do not include game elements unless you're ready to playtest them.

2. Ask yourself "What makes my story stand out?" and "What makes my story exceptional?" Do not settle for being the secondhand version of fiction that you enjoy. Improve on what you've read, seen, and played.

3. Commit to a vision, rather than follow trends. Strive to create a signature style.

SelLi
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Silent Column Demo, Memory Mage
Projects: The Silent Column, A Lily from the Lightless Water, A Castle on an Island
Deviantart: SelLillianna
itch: SelLillianna

#4 Post by SelLi »

Hi there, I don't know if you're still looking for opinions but I thought I'd comment.

I like when characters feel real and earnest. I wouldn't worry about trying to insert quirky, gimmicky things into the story or characters. Sometimes gimmicky things can be fun but they tend to feel, to me, like they detract from good stories and characters.

Also, events and narrative starting points can be fun and important! But maybe don't worry too much about them? Just an idea. Especially when it comes to romance visual novels one can think of events of the story like one thinks of the events of a date: it's not all about where you go or what you do. Where you go and what you do can be fun and important! But you probably want to have a nice time with your significant other and you can do that anywhere doing pretty much anything. A story can sort of be like... a person. It doesn't matter "what" it is as much as "who" it is. I hope that makes some sense!

Have a great time making your visual novel/dating sim!

lsf22
Regular

#5 Post by lsf22 »

I would say don't be afraid if someone finds something offensive in your NSFW game. An artist should stick to their guns when it comes to their creative vision. It's more important than dev's realize, countless games have been dismissed due to censorship and/or the dev lacking a spine to support their artistic vision. Patreon for example pressures devs into censoring their games when they feel like it and when a fan gets wind of it they will put the dev on blast. What's more important, pleasing a puritan/woke platform in which you can always find alternatives to, or your fans, the one that will support you if you do right by them.

You can also look to other classics and dating games for inspiration, no shame in doing so if you need to play them to learn or build ideas. For example the game "Another Chance" is one you could take a look at for inspiration.