Python

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Dre
Regular

Python

#1 Post by Dre »

So I'm still kinda new to the whole python thing and I was wondering if it had the ability to create fighting type games? What about pygames? What's it limits? And python can be put into ren'py right? I don't plan to make anything of the like but it would be nice to be able to.*Thinks of the possibilities* 8)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#2 Post by PyTom »

Okay, Python is a programming language, like many of the other programming languages out there. Python is a high-level, interpreted language, which means it's easier to write in than a language like C, but also a bit slower.

There are libraries that make it easier to write games in Python. Pygame is one of them... But realize that quite a bit of programming would go into making a fighting game from scratch.

Ren'Py is a Python/PyGame application that makes writing a certain class of games (visual novels and dating sims) easier. Ren'Py games use python in a number of ways... Python is used as a language for declaring things like images and characters. Python expressions are also used in the if and while statements, among others.

One feature I've been meaning to add to Ren'Py for a while now is the ability to allow arbitrary python code to shut down Ren'Py for a while and do its own thing, and then return to Ren'Py later. This would allow minigames to be included in a Ren'Py game, by sufficently skilled programmers. It's still on my list of things to do, but fairly low prority. (A rewrite of the sound system, to support archived sounds and multiple compressed sounds at once, will come first.)
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Dre
Regular

#3 Post by Dre »

Oh I see. So in between that shut down, will the scripting be pygames or python?(assuming they are somewhat to different things, I wouldn't know at this point.)

And speaking from a far past chat, what ever happen to the image library script for completing a game?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#4 Post by PyTom »

During the shutdown, one could call pygame functions directly from python. I'm afraid that the question really isn't all that meaningful. Pygame is a library that is used from Python.

Image library script? Are you talking about archive_images.bat?
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Kikered
Regular
Completed: Quine, The Secret Ingredient
Projects: Metropolitan Blues, Mirai Imouto, Temple Glen, Fuyu no Tabi, MIA
Organization: Team BG

#5 Post by Kikered »

I think Dre was referring to an unlockable gallery of sorts with bonus images and the like. If that's the case, then it's already included in the "extras" folder of the latest version of Ren'Py as "gallery.rpy."
Verbosity leads to unclear, inarticulate things.

Dre
Regular

#6 Post by Dre »

Heh, I guess not.

Well about the image thing, I'm taking about something like this...
More appear the farther you get into the game, and so on.

Edit:Ohh.....it was already done? Cool!