A simple doubt

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
KebecMaslow
Regular
Projects: Here's Evil
Organization: Grupo Tricksters

A simple doubt

#1 Post by KebecMaslow »

Hello guys. I'm currently working in a fan game from The Loud House divided into two parts; both will have visual novel elements but the first one will be a kinetic novel. Anyways, I'm there just to ask for suggestions regarding small aspects for the design.

Those who know the series know that there are big differences from one character to others, there are adults, teenagers, children and toddlers, so the difference in size is something pretty common... Here are some examples:

https://www.deviantart.com/kebec/art/Sp ... -894348840

https://www.deviantart.com/kebec/art/Sp ... -894348856

And there I am having some issues regarding the esthetic of the text box since I don't want it to overshadow the smaller characters. So, can anyone give an idea how to turn this problem into an advantage?
"The men grew fond of themselves, forgetting all the fears and hardships of the past... until the darkness came back for them."

MapletreePaper
Regular
Projects: Language Barrier
Organization: Naval Maple Media
Discord: MapletreePaper

Re: A simple doubt

#2 Post by MapletreePaper »

Hmm... this is an unusual problem. I can think of two solutions off the top of my head:

1) Place the text box at the top of the screen instead of the bottom. This is pretty unorthodox and would take some adjustment from players, but I don't see anything inherently wrong with it. Here's an example from a fan DDLC video.

2) Dedicate a part of the screen solely to the text box instead of it being an overlay. Have the backgrounds, CGs, character sprites, etc. all start at the top edge of the text box. Something like this, but on the same screen, of course. The downside to this is that you'd potentially be wasting valuable screen real estate.

Hope this helps!

KebecMaslow
Regular
Projects: Here's Evil
Organization: Grupo Tricksters

#3 Post by KebecMaslow »

Good ideas, I will take them in consideration and experiment a little with them...

Are there more suggestions?
"The men grew fond of themselves, forgetting all the fears and hardships of the past... until the darkness came back for them."

parttimestorier
Veteran
Completed: No Other Medicine, Well Met By Moonlight, RE:BURN, The Light at the End of the Ocean, Take A Hike!, Wizard School Woes
Projects: Seeds of Dreams
itch: janetitor

#4 Post by parttimestorier »

You could also consider putting the text in word bubbles like a comic instead of in one static dialogue box! That would probably be a lot more complicated to program, but it also looks to me like it might fit the aesthetic of the character art. You could check out Where the Sun Always Shines for ideas on how that might work.
ImageImageImage

MapletreePaper
Regular
Projects: Language Barrier
Organization: Naval Maple Media
Discord: MapletreePaper

#5 Post by MapletreePaper »

parttimestorier wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:36 am You could also consider putting the text in word bubbles like a comic instead of in one static dialogue box!
This is a good idea, but narration would still pose a bit of an issue. The POV character could appear on screen with a thought bubble, but I think that would be a little clunky.