—You made it. You played it. Your shit is overrated.—

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: E-mail me if you wanna rock the planet

—You made it. You played it. Your shit is overrated.—

#1 Post by JinzouTamashii »

Vent, bitch, whine, and grind teeth about the commercial or non-commercial games you made or had a hand in making here, and their public reception during alpha, beta, and final release stages. :P
Don't worry, we can get through it together. I didn't forget about you! I just got overwhelmed.
https://cherylitou.wordpress.com

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: —You made it. You played it. Your shit is overrated.—

#2 Post by DaFool »

Is this topic supposed to open a can of worms?

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#3 Post by mugenjohncel »

- CONTENT NO LONGER RELEVANT -
Last edited by mugenjohncel on Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#4 Post by LVUER »

I KNOW Mugen would post here sooner or later ^_^

A Terrible Rabbit
Regular
Projects: Kyuuketsuki BonBon

#5 Post by A Terrible Rabbit »

I'm just hoping someone will like what I do. :) That'll be enough.

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#6 Post by Sapphi »

Geh. What frustrates me is that I know the characters for the VN I'm working on, I just can't seem to settle on a good storyline. I've written/partially coded like 4 chapters and now I'm close to starting over, again. I've started over so many times X_X

And rarely am I satisfied with my art, but I'm pretty psyched about my sprites. I put a lot of effort into them and I think it shows. But showing them to friends I get comments like "You can tell a girl drew it" which to me feels disappointing because they're supposed to be cute in the way you would expect girls to be cute in a dating game, not in a shoujo manga way or something...

And one of my friends expressed that one of my characters looks too "squished", and her sweater makes her body look huge (it's kind of the point, it's a loose sweater) and that it's too boxy.
"Meh... I like my sweater."
"Meh... I like my sweater."
Now that I look at it, it does seem too boxy, but as part of an overall style, would it be that bothersome? T_T Insecurities...
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#7 Post by papillon »

No matter what your art skill and style is, some people will love it and some people will hate it!

A Terrible Rabbit
Regular
Projects: Kyuuketsuki BonBon

#8 Post by A Terrible Rabbit »

Even in professional work you can tell when a boy or a girl has done something- it doesn't mean anything. :3

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#9 Post by Deji »

If I could bitch all I wanted... but I'm a professional and it would be wrong of me to talk bad things about my co-workers or people that hire me~~ :3

Thought I can rant about Astre@ ~~ 8D

<long whiny rant>

If you were around and remember it, two years ago I started my project for getting my diploma as an Illustrator. It was a VN.
Since I can't write, I asked my male best friend, whom I went to school with since I was 5 and pretty much the only person I kept in contact with after graduating high school, to write a story for me. We always mentioned how we would like to make something together, so this was the perfect chance! I also happened to see him often because he was studying film-making at the same institute I was studying Illustration at.

So he mailed me an outline of a story called Astre@. I loved it. I started designing characters from the descriptions and showing them to him for him to pick the ones that suited his characters in his mind best. It was awesome :D
Then it took him forever to give me the full outline of the story with the Event CGs I needed to draw (since it was ridiculous to ask him to write the whole script in a couple of months and then go through the whole script and pick Event-CG-worthy scenes).
Then again it took him a long while to get the script of Day 1 for the demo.

Then almost two years passed.
He hasn't written a since line of Astre@ since then.

Whenever I saw him online (which was getting less frequent every time because he rather use Facebook to communicate with others and I hate that place), I'd ask him "so.. what about Astre@?" and he'd say "yeah, actually I was working on that, but... you know... *insert lame excuse here that would get solved later and he'd still keep writing*".
We also got an offer from a fandub circle to do the voices, get somebody to do the music and even make a song if we wanted. They were super excited. We were super excited.
But he still never wrote anything.

He didn't even show up to my project presentation/defense. He was too busy going to visit his friends and girlfriend in a neighbor city.
He said he'd call to know how it went.
He never did.
Then he mailed me 2 days later asking how it went, that he'd be checking his email often just to know.
I replied right after I got it.
He replied back almost a week later.

Now I'm here with a lot of pretty sprites I worked my ass off to make (back when I thought I only had like 3 months to draw everything, lol), a bunch of decent BGs and a good amount of CGs.
All of them will be going to waste because that the writer has more interesting things to write, and s too busy hanging out with his girlfriend and partying with his friends and doing joint projects with OTHER friends to work on this.

Yay =__=

</long whiny rant>
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#10 Post by JinzouTamashii »

Deji wrote:... two years ago I started my project for getting my diploma as an Illustrator. It was a VN.
So he mailed me an outline of a story called Astre@. I loved it. I started designing characters from the descriptions and showing them to him for him to pick the ones that suited his characters in his mind best. It was awesome :D
Then it took him forever to give me the full outline of the story with the Event CGs I needed to draw (since it was ridiculous to ask him to write the whole script in a couple of months and then go through the whole script and pick Event-CG-worthy scenes).
Then again it took him a long while to get the script of Day 1 for the demo.

Then almost two years passed.
He hasn't written a since line of Astre@ since then.
In that vein, thanks, NeverM0reX! I hope you went somewhere with your Kara and Twist of Fate, because my Controlled Chaos: Second Origins VN dead-ended without a middle before the ending...

[/edit] http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/196682

Some of my postwork bitterness poured through. NeverM0reX, and the IRL person behind the screenname—wherever he is—was an incredible influence upon me during my formative years. He shared my love of Powerpuff Girls, he did his own original fan-animations, he taught me Flash, and he let me work with him on his project... and told me to make it my own, with his permission.

I would also be remiss if I didn't mention Youri or Buth0... two other artists that I used to collab closely with. :D
Last edited by JinzouTamashii on Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:41 am, edited 4 times in total.
Don't worry, we can get through it together. I didn't forget about you! I just got overwhelmed.

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#11 Post by Deji »

In recent development, I got green light from the author to get the story written by a very talented somebody else, that kindly stepped up and offered to write it :3

Yay for happy endings 8D

*goes away dancing*
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

dstarsboy
Veteran

#12 Post by dstarsboy »

Deji wrote:In recent development, I got green light from the author to get the story written by a very talented somebody else, that kindly stepped up and offered to write it :3

Yay for happy endings 8D

*goes away dancing*
Hey! This is a rants thread!! No place for happy endings!! jk, I'm glad that it sounds like the work will come to fruition! :)
JinzouTamashii wrote: In that vein, thanks, NeverM0reX! I hope you went somewhere with your Kara and Twist of Fate, because my Controlled Chaos: Second Origins VN dead-ended without a middle before the ending...
You're ButtercupSaiyan?! I'm a big fan of your stuff. I was really looking forward to Controlled Chaos. :(
Current Projects:
The Isle of St Marcus

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#13 Post by JinzouTamashii »

dstarboy:
Controlled Chaos: Second Origins isn't over, it's just part of the Sum of the Parts universe and the Nexiiverse doujin circle releases, like UDOU, Prodigal Son or Daughter, and All the Spirals Winding Down.

As such, the other parts of its story relating to Laura Mitchell (Augmented), Yukina Atagawa (Asha, reincarnated), their respective fathers, her mother, Bion, Matthew, and the rest are slowly being expanded... I also have several lemons distributed here and there which are in-universe canon but not included in the game itself.

The main pairings that exist canonically are: BionxYukina, YukinaxMatthew, and LauraxEthan... and Matthew and Yukina's mother but that was the key point of development of several chapters, if I remember correctly.

The hovercars mentioned in the Sum of the Part's Nexus and M.O.T.E.s in Controlled Chaos are identical in the underlying antigrav and escape velocity theories, if not in design and execution.

I wrote the ending, lost the notebook, found the notebook, and I'm currently paused on Chapter 10, novel-style.

You could easily dull a knife on the sexual tension between the android, Bion, and the two sisters' rocky reunion...

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#14 Post by musical74 »

Datarsboy: ButtercupSaiyan is the BCS here :)

I haven't made any vns myself (working on a full fledged novel though!)...having said that, I can generally tell when a game was totally rushed or poorly executed...lots of spelling errors, that a simple proofread would pick up? Graphics that look like a 12 year old could do better? Things that seem to be there, for the sole reason of *I needed to put SOMETIHNG here*? Games like that I almost always pass on.
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

dstarsboy
Veteran

#15 Post by dstarsboy »

@BSC Thanks for the update, I remember reading about it and seeing some art designs on your DeviantArt account but haven't heard much about it since. Do you have a one stop shop/link that has a compilation of released stuff somewhere?

Anyways, my rant is about my iPhone VN that was suspended. Total downer. I think I bit off more than I could chew and tried to make it too complex with making my branches interweave so much. WRITING SUCKS! But I have all of this art/music/technology hanging around collecting dust, so maybe one day I'll collaborate with a writer or something and put together a new short and sweet story for the app store. *Crosses fingers*.
Current Projects:
The Isle of St Marcus