Rhythm Game-inspired mechanics for a VN game with QTE-RPG mechanics?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
CaraPrincess2007
Projects: Tenrai Bakufu (Currently RPGM but might considering moving to Ren'Py...)
Organization: Studio Emiko
Deviantart: caraprincess2007
Github: CaraPrincess2007
itch: emikohosokawa
Discord: EmikoHosokawaDoujins#1325

Rhythm Game-inspired mechanics for a VN game with QTE-RPG mechanics?

#1 Post by CaraPrincess2007 »

Currently I am wavering between using RPG Maker or Ren'Py for my upcoming VN-RPG project. It will involve an RPG battle system that heavily involves QTE-based actions.

But so far I only found help on setting up basic QTEs. What I need to add more spice to the system is another QTE system inspired by rhythm games (take Friday Night Funkin' or DDR for example).

While there is a piece of script for Ren'Py that allows rhythm game-like mechanics, it treats such mechanics as an independent mechanic (not a potential add-on to any existing feature) and it requires several Python modules to set up (which I failed to do so).

Can any of you give me any snippets / samples on how to achieve a rhythm game-like QTE system for my game's battle system (without all that hassle from Python modules)?

All of your help will be appreciated!
PRINCESS OF THE GRAND CROSS, OWNER OF THE DEUSTALE DOUJIN FRANCHISE (Muse Genkaroku, Genkaroku Aftertale, Neon Crusade, etc.)

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: Rhythm Game-inspired mechanics for a VN game with QTE-RPG mechanics?

#2 Post by Zelan »

If you're looking specifically for Ren'Py coding help, you may have better luck posting in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements section. c: