RAA Rewrite

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: RAA Rewrite

#31 Post by PyTom »

Samu-kun wrote:Found another glitch. Unticking the "Mac" and "Linux" boxes in the "Add a Game" page doesn't do anything and you need to untick them in the "Edit Release" page for it to have any effect.
I think I fixed it.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#32 Post by Samu-kun »

Question: is it possible to create a list of games that need to be approved? It's too difficult to go through all the games and figure out which ones are new and need approval.

also,

haha, very funny, but the Fucking Question is *not* 13+. You're lucky that I don't slap it with an 18+... It's too bad we don't have 17+, because that's pretty much what it is.

Samu-kun
King of Moé

#33 Post by Samu-kun »

Also, I think there's something wrong about the word count too. Does the system automatically try to calculate the play time based on the word count? Because it's returned some pretty incredible results, such as a total play time of 9 hours for Katawa Shoujo's 90k some words, and 4 hours for Angelic Orbs' 50k some words. I can assure you, nobody reads that slow. I cleared through Katawa Shoujo once in more like 2 hours and Angelic Orbs in about an hour. Even if I were to play through all the different choices, I can't see either of them lasting more than double that amount.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#34 Post by PyTom »

A list of games that need approval will be emailed to the staff on a regular basis.

It does try to automatically calculate the playtime. It's assuming a 200wpm reading speed, which I think is on the fast side. It's calculating for all paths, so maybe the difference is you're reporting the single path time, while it's reporting the game clear time?

delta
Epitome of Generic
Projects: yes

#35 Post by delta »

8 hours for KS is rather ridiculous no matter what. But it does have 96k words (per language in case you're wondering).
The rest is left as an exercise for the reader.

Samu-kun
King of Moé

#36 Post by Samu-kun »

Even with total game clear, it's way too long.

The way text is presented in a visual novel is different from your regular book, because it's presented in small chunks and the text also scrolls along at a speed of the reader's choosing. Because of this, metaguiding occurs, increasing the reading speed to roughly 400 wpm. Not only that, but the vocabulary in a visual novel is generally easier to read than something like an academic journal. For the exciting bits, I think I read closer to 700-800 wpm than a measly 200 wpm.

delta
Epitome of Generic

#37 Post by delta »

I think inferring length from wordcount is just not a very good idea in general. It only halfway works for very short works with no branching at all.

And having been there when this exact same discussion happened on vndb, I can safely say that the solution we decided on there was easily the best one: Wordcount aside, reading speed is too subjective anyway, and in fact nobody really cares exactly how long it is. So we just made a couple of vague "brackets" with some well known games to compare to. The exact bracketing certainly does not carry over to RAA (90% of the games there would classify as "very short", the shortest bracket, on vndb), but I think it's really the only sensible thing to do.

Word count can still be there for the curious, or even to place or help place the game into a bracket automatically, but this exact maths approach will never really work IMO - games are just too different.

tylerthekitsune
Regular

#38 Post by tylerthekitsune »

great job on the site tom! it looks way better than the old site.

Samu-kun
King of Moé

#39 Post by Samu-kun »

Umm... You know guys, I'm glad to transfer 121 games by myself, but the more people volunteer to help out, the sooner we'll be able to get the new RAA... It's going to take at least three more days before I can do this all by myself...

Also, it would be great if the creators of the visual novels that are up there put in some screenshots too. The new screenshot gallery isn't just for show, you know.

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

#40 Post by Vatina »

I've wanted to add some more, will try and get it done this weekend.

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#41 Post by chronoluminaire »

Samu-kun wrote:Also, it would be great if the creators of the visual novels that are up there put in some screenshots too. The new screenshot gallery isn't just for show, you know.
Added some screenshots for WIRTW. (The same as from the game's webpage.) I'll put some Elven Relations and CLF ones up when they appear on the site.
I released 3 VNs, many moons ago: Elven Relations (IntRenAiMo 2007), When I Rule The World (NaNoRenO 2005), and Cloud Fairy (the Cute Light & Fluffy Project, 2009).
More recently I designed the board game Steam Works (published in 2015), available from a local gaming store near you!

delta
Epitome of Generic

#42 Post by delta »

chronoluminaire wrote:
Samu-kun wrote:Also, it would be great if the creators of the visual novels that are up there put in some screenshots too. The new screenshot gallery isn't just for show, you know.
Added some screenshots for WIRTW. (The same as from the game's webpage.) I'll put some Elven Relations and CLF ones up when they appear on the site.
I'd recommend adding games by you that are not yet there yourself. It helps the people who have to do what others don't, you can set all descriptions yourself, and as an added benefit you can change everything later.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#43 Post by PyTom »

I've done quite a few changes to the website.

- The site has been redesigned to match the current renai.us look.
- Search is now operational, with a cron job updating it every four hours.
- I've added a brief list of all games, a list of games without screenshots, and a list of unapproved games.
- The start of games.renpy.org work.

We've also passed the halfway mark when it comes to adding the games back to the site. (A big shout-out goes to Samu-kun for doing most of the heavy lifting on this.)

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#44 Post by sake-bento »

Looking good! Huge thanks to Samu-kun for rocking so hard. The genre links on the side link to BxG instead of their respective genres. And speaking of genres, might it be a good idea to eventually include slice of life and fantasy? I think both are fairly common themes in the RAA.

Samu-kun
King of Moé

#45 Post by Samu-kun »

Hey, new screenshots. That looks a lot better now.

Just a couple of notes as an editor:

For games starting with the word "The," please rewrite it as [Game Title], The. So "The Cute, Fluffy, and Light Project" would be "Cute, Fluffy, and Light Project, The." That way, we don't have a massive pile up on the "T" section.

Also, please capitalize the first word of the title, because apparently it messes up the alphabetical ordering if you don't. Games starting with a small case letter get thrown to the very end of the alphabetical list for some reason. Maybe Pytom will fix this in the future?