Do any of you use real life images in your games?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
lsf22
Regular

Do any of you use real life images in your games?

#1 Post by lsf22 »

I was wondering if any of you guys use real life images for your games. I've seen in some examples of games where there is a altered real life image that has been pixelated or other effects to bring it into the game without it standing out too much. For example in "Dino Crisis" and "Resident Evil" it seems like they did use real images and pixelated them. Some of them look like they were pictures of hot models or something naughty in the background poster images. Even Metal Gear Solid 2 had a few real life images in the game.

felix
Regular
Completed: Before the Faire
Organization: No Time To Play
Tumblr: no-time-to-play
Github: notimetoplay
itch: notimetoplay

Re: Do any of you use real life images in your games?

#2 Post by felix »

Sure, in Before the Faire I used a set of backgrounds made from photos with an effect applied. Worked really well.

YossarianIII
Veteran
Completed: Guns & Lovers; SRRT!; Kill Your Refrigerator; Banality Man; Beretta Mondatta
Projects: Solidarity Forever
Organization: KONOL Games

#3 Post by YossarianIII »

Yeah, I do a ton. There's nothing stopping you from making a totally photorealistic game in Ren'Py: I did it for Crunchy Lunch, Carrying a Microwave Down 3rd Ave, and Solidarity Forever. It's sort of like FMV... except with no full-motion or video.

If a photo is public domain or you take it yourself, you can use it as-is, run a filter over it, Photoshop it, or even trace over it. As felix mentioned, this is relatively common practice for backgrounds. Sometimes it looks cheap or clashes with the sprite art style, but when done right, most people probably barely notice.

Image Image

ISAWHIM
Veteran

#4 Post by ISAWHIM »

I use "3D Renderings" in my VN work. Most of the best 3D rendered objects look real, because they are made from photographs of real items, imposed onto 3D objects. So, in a sense, yes... I use photographs of real things in my VN creation. (As well as, obvious photographs in picture-frames.)

Hand drawn art is becoming a shrinking trend. Both digital and real hand drawn art. Though I am 99.99% sure it will never die. (I said the same thing about "flash" too... I was wrong.)

It's just another art style. Not even a new one. It's just easier than it was in the past, like drawing was for many, after it went digital and you could erase pen-work and marker-work and paints, without wasting paint, pens, paper and brushes. Now, there are tools that go so far as to take simple 2D pictures and turn them into whole 3D objects, ironically, to render back into a 2D picture. :P

On the creep factor... You can even make whole AI generated real-fake people! (People that don't exist in reality, but potentially could.) Fully animated and with enough AI to talk back, even sounding like real people!

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 14 games released -- and Counting.
Organization: DarkErotica Games
Deviantart: OokamiKasumi

#5 Post by OokamiKasumi »

I did, especially in my first games. Mainly because I hadn't figured out how to draw my own characters then.

download/file.php?id=24243&mode=view

Madeline's Misplaces Miscellany
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11948
Ookami Kasumi ~ Purveyor of fine Smut.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

"No amount of great animation will save a bad story." -- John Lasseter of Pixar

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more
Projects: Fateful Encounter, Operation: Magic Hero
Organization: Tofu Sheets Visual
Deviantart: kokoro-hane
itch: tofu-sheets-visual

#6 Post by Kokoro Hane »

Yes, I often have used real life backgrounds for some of my games, including my recent one "Chance It!". Sometime I leave them unfiltered, like CI, or sometimes they will be filtered. Depends on the style I am going for. Using real life backgrounds (filtered or not) is quite common in OELVN novels, and even amateur JVNs as well. I feel like it gives an aesthetic all its own. Some people love it, others hate it, others have no preference to it.

As nice as hand drawn backgrounds are (I always feel they are the best in VNs, be it made specifically for the game or from a free-to-use pack), they aren't as easy to come by unfortunately, which is why using real life photos -- filtered or not -- is fairly common, and has been for quite awhile. I see no harm in using them and feel they give off their own charm. Some can even make them strikingly beautiful with the right photoshop skills ^.-
PROJECTS:
Operation: Magic Hero [WiP]
Piece By Piece [COMPLETE][Spooktober VN '20]
RE/COUNT RE:VERSE [COMPLETE][RPG]
Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! [COMPLETE][NaNoRenO2020+]
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

But dear God, You're the only North Star I would follow this far
Owl City "Galaxies"

thelastsecret
Regular
Completed: The Last Secret
Projects: Sweet Science – The Girls from Silversee Castle
itch: thelastsecret
Discord: TheLastSecret #5266

#7 Post by thelastsecret »

Yes, a lot of the backgrounds in The Last Secret are photos (either creative commons or those I took by myself for the game) processed with various software and with hand-drawn corrections and add-ons (like light rays, reflections etc.).
Here are some examples (one pic, three short videos):
https://i.imgur.com/hoCt6MN.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/vbDFkxz.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/ynwqtDW.mp4