Inspiration for games

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
_LadyBex_
itch: ladybex

Inspiration for games

#1 Post by _LadyBex_ »

Hi :) I wanted to ask where do you get inspirations for games you develop. Do you perhaps get inspired by other games, talk to your friends/co-developers about ideas, or suddenly get an idea like in a dream/daydream or you focus on the task of making a certain type of game and research everything around it and then carefully plan it.

As for me I am a mix of all of the above mentioned.

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

Re: Inspiration for games

#2 Post by fleet »

Some of my ideas are inspired from public domain books and short stories.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

CaraPrincess2007
Projects: Tenrai Bakufu (Currently RPGM but might considering moving to Ren'Py...)
Organization: Studio Emiko
Deviantart: caraprincess2007
Github: CaraPrincess2007
itch: emikohosokawa
Discord: EmikoHosokawaDoujins#1325

#3 Post by CaraPrincess2007 »

I frequently develops fangames of games like Touhou and Seihou Project (the latter might require some researches tho). So it might not be a surprise when I use those two games as inspirations for my games.

Also, Undertale and the hit game Genshin Impact also are another major influences on my games too. TBH, Undertale is like my pathway to game dev.

May God bless all of you ~.
PRINCESS OF THE GRAND CROSS, OWNER OF THE DEUSTALE DOUJIN FRANCHISE (Muse Genkaroku, Genkaroku Aftertale, Neon Crusade, etc.)

_ticlock_
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by _ticlock_ »

I think it depends on the person and environment. What is good for one person does not work for someone else. It is all about how our brain works.

Personally, in my mind, I often have some alternative ideas whenever I watch a movie, read a book, play a game, talk to people, etc. Books or visual novels are probably the most ''productive' for me mainly because I can stop at any point and think about alternative stories or endings. I guess that is why I read so slowly, lol.

I like to look at famous writers to see what inspires them or how they create. For example, I really like Tim Schafer process to create a character:
“I have a little character template that I try and fill in the form almost like a social media form of what that character was like. I try to get to know every character and then by the time I’m writing dialog, I’m just improvising like an actor almost.”quote-source

Or 'What if?' question for the development of the story like a lot of writers do (like Stephen King)

I think story development and getting ideas for the story are two steps of creating a story. Ideas come from inspiration(based on some events in life or in a book), while story development is a process to turn the idea into true art.

There are a lot of interesting books for story development. Personally, I can suggest Story by Robert McKee.

felix
Regular
Completed: Before the Faire
Organization: No Time To Play
Tumblr: no-time-to-play
Github: notimetoplay
itch: notimetoplay

#5 Post by felix »

My (never completed) visual novel was inspired by a couple of asset packs from Open Game Art. You never know.