Can you give your opinion on these ideas for a game?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
SidVanHalen

Can you give your opinion on these ideas for a game?

#1 Post by SidVanHalen »

Hi there, I was thinking of writing something, one thing led to another and now I am wondering whether I should go ahead with a ren'py project. :?
I have two ideas, tell me what do you think about them.
First one is a sort of devil hunting plot, a guy gets some abilities and is made to hunt demons. Something on the lines of Devil May Cry and Nasuverse (Of course thats just an example to say about the setting)
Second is more Slice of Life stuff, its about some strangers coming and forming a rock band for their own reasons.
Do Tell me how you like these ideas. Anyone interested can pm me or use my Yahoo massenger. :)

I am okay with script and all that, but I am really pathetic at drawing. Also I know a bit of programming (C++ mostly) so I was wondering if programming on Ren'py is tough? :roll:

Anyways, glad to be here and nice to meet all of you.
Hi, I am new here, so be patient with me okay :)

lorddon
Regular

Re: Can you give your opinion on these ideas for a game?

#2 Post by lorddon »

Either story could be interesting, though I would lean more towards being interested in the Demon Hunter story.

Have you heard of or seen Python code before? I'm more of an artist than a programmer and I find Python very easy to use, which is the language Ren'Py was written in.
Discipline or Lack - My current projects and my progress on them.

Aurelia-Aurora
Regular
Projects: Learning Japanese VN

#3 Post by Aurelia-Aurora »

SidVanHalen wrote:Hi there, I was thinking of writing something, one thing led to another and now I am wondering whether I should go ahead with a ren'py project. :?
I have two ideas, tell me what do you think about them.
First one is a sort of devil hunting plot, a guy gets some abilities and is made to hunt demons. Something on the lines of Devil May Cry and Nasuverse (Of course thats just an example to say about the setting)
Second is more Slice of Life stuff, its about some strangers coming and forming a rock band for their own reasons.
Do Tell me how you like these ideas. Anyone interested can pm me or use my Yahoo massenger. :)

I am okay with script and all that, but I am really pathetic at drawing. Also I know a bit of programming (C++ mostly) so I was wondering if programming on Ren'py is tough? :roll:

Anyways, glad to be here and nice to meet all of you.
I like the ideas. Was the second one inspired from K-On?

Also. Ren'py scripting is extremely easy. Once you learn the basics...it gets easy. A bit too easy.
Currently Working On One (1) Game
Story: 100%
Sprites: 25%
Script: 17%
Programming: 0%
Characters: 95%
Event CGs: 0%
Backgrounds: 0%

Lanna
Regular

#4 Post by Lanna »

Dunno about the first story, it's not exactly my cup of tea so I wouldn't really know what I'm talking about. Second one has potential depending on the characters and what exactly their reason for forming a band is.

And that is coming from someone who actually hates the slice of life genre. But yeah, depending on how well the writing is done, it can either go horribly wrong, or end up completely awesome. Good music would obviously help, too.

luminarious
Veteran
Projects: Winter, winter

#5 Post by luminarious »

These could be combined, where the band coming together and the demon hunting are different aspects of the same character's life. Eventually the two get mixed up as one of the other band members is an actual demon and for the first time ever, backstage is actually a scarier place than the stage itself. Kind of a panic room situation.

Tsundere Lightning
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: And plenty of them!

#6 Post by Tsundere Lightning »

I've come to prefer slice of life stories, especially for first attempts at Ren'Py games - they tend to be small enough to complete as first time projects. :P And the idea of 'slice of life relationships in a rock band' is instantly compelling - it's not a very common subject.

The demon hunter thing, though... ehhh... I'm not saying it couldn't work as a visual novel, but you would have to be a lot more specific, with a much more tightly defined and unique setting, before I could tell you if I'm interested. Games about 'hunting demons' are a dime a dozen.

That being said, if you can do it in a cool and unusual way, it seems like a good second project - one of my favorite games of all time is a tabletop RPG with an unusual take on the subject, Dogs In The Vineyard, where the demon hunters are also Wild West gunslingers in a fantasy counterpart to Mormon Utah. Adding the western and historical aspects, as well as making actual violence a weapon of last resort, made it VERY interesting (and good mystery VN fodder come to that).
She's sun and rain: She's fire and ice. A little crazy, but it's nice.
Bliss Stage: Love is your weapon! A sci-fi visual novel about child soldiers coming of age. Kickstarter prerelease here. WIP thread here. Original tabletop game by Ben Lehman here. Tumblr here.

pkt
Veteran
Completed: I dunno
Projects: Something special

#7 Post by pkt »

I like Slice of Life stories so I'll go with that. Give it some special twist aside from the rock band thing though so it won't be another K-on.
No Active Public Renpy Projects...

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#8 Post by LVUER »

luminarious wrote:These could be combined, where the band coming together and the demon hunting are different aspects of the same character's life. Eventually the two get mixed up as one of the other band members is an actual demon and for the first time ever, backstage is actually a scarier place than the stage itself. Kind of a panic room situation.
Hahaha ^_^ That's a good idea

SidVanHalen

#9 Post by SidVanHalen »

Hey thanks for all the interest and encouragement.
What I gave was just te first idea that had come to my mind when I decided to write something, I have developed things somewhat now. To talk abut inspiration is, well yes there are inspirations but nothing specific as such.
The talk about the simplicity of the program and coding is nice news. I've been working on script (first idea) and I'll post the story (atleast) soon, because the first idea is to have a good base.
Major problem is charecter arts and sprites because everything else can be managed. How do you guys develop them?

SidVanHalen

#10 Post by SidVanHalen »

luminarious wrote:These could be combined, where the band coming together and the demon hunting are different aspects of the same character's life. Eventually the two get mixed up as one of the other band members is an actual demon and for the first time ever, backstage is actually a scarier place than the stage itself. Kind of a panic room situation.
Yeah that is quite an idea.

SidVanHalen

#11 Post by SidVanHalen »

So I have done some work (inactive for last one week due to college :( )
I developed a story for the first idea. Basically its this:

A 21 yr old college student discovers he carries a "godhand", a sort of virus/extra gene that means he is a descendant of the fallen angels. Accessing the gene gives him some power (I have not completely decided- there are several options- I am trying to develop some nice power- like Shiki's Eyes of Death perception). Oh and he suppers from MPD and is a killer.
At the same time, a magus, who is hunting down a particular "devil" realises she can use him, and there is a woman who is asked to protect the godhand. Then there are some obvious charecters.
Then there are the villians, there are two of them:
First is a devil who is the son of the protagonist's swordfighting teacher
The boss is a magus turned demon who wants to destroy the city in which the story takes place.

SidVanHalen

#12 Post by SidVanHalen »

About the rock one.

Ryo is a guitarist who is thrown from his band (school guys), because they complained he was too "rock and roll" (despite his talent). After being told to take his leave he sees a woman who he immediately realizes as one of is favorite rock artists, who because of some bad things, is offering to sell herself. Things happen and soon a rock band is formed, Ryo invites another girl, who wants to make it big, but is right now just a street singer, and they are joined by a bassist (studio artist) who used to work with the idol. They are managed by the street singers's mother who acts as the manager.
This is the basic structure, although I still don't have an idea about what to do about the drummer.

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: E-mail me if you wanna rock the planet

#13 Post by JinzouTamashii »

You gotta check out Atlus's Shin Megami Tensei series.

And then you have to become an Atlus Faithful and register for their forums.

Then you have to hire them to help you do the work. Don't worry, they love to work... I think. :roll:
Don't worry, we can get through it together. I didn't forget about you! I just got overwhelmed.
https://cherylitou.wordpress.com

netravelr
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Culina: Hands in the Kitchen, Culina: The Spirit of Cooking, Saving Zoey
Projects: Love at the Laundromat
Organization: Lakeview Interactive
Deviantart: netravelr

#14 Post by netravelr »

JinzouTamashii wrote:
You gotta check out Atlus's Shin Megami Tensei series.

And then you have to become an Atlus Faithful and register for their forums.

Then you have to hire them to help you do the work. Don't worry, they love to work... I think. :roll:
You know funny thing? Dante from Devil May Cry is actually in Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. I really do love Atlus though (both US and Japan, though Japan's the only one that actually makes games).

[quote="SidVanHalen"
I am okay with script and all that, but I am really pathetic at drawing. Also I know a bit of programming (C++ mostly) so I was wondering if programming on Ren'py is tough? :roll: [/quote]

Well, I'm familiar with C++ and have been using it for 2+ years and it hasn't been terribly hard to transition to using Python and Ren'Py. However, you are going to get frustrated at some times with the lack of certain features (but for the most part I've been able to just recode it) and syntax can be tricky sometimes. But if you ever get stuck, the guys here are really good about helping out, and I'll try to do my best to help as well. :-)
Technical Designer/Programmer
Game Design Portfolio - Project updates on my Twitter
Experienced in: C/C++/C#, Python, Unreal, Unity, and Flash