How is it called the one who helps you with SFX and Voice Actors?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
johandark
Veteran
Completed: Wild Guards, In Dreams
Projects: Pact with a witch
Deviantart: johandarkweb

How is it called the one who helps you with SFX and Voice Actors?

#1 Post by johandark »

How is called the one who works on the audio control of the voice actors and sfx? Not necesarilly music, and sfx is actually not obligatory... But I would need someone who talks with the voice actors, take their audios, make them sound right and organize them in folders.
What's the name of that job? Sound engineer? SFX artist? I tried to look for it in Lemmasoft forum, but not sure if that's the best place to look for i

What's called and where is the best place to look for someone like this, also I would like to know how much usually they charge, if it's per word, per hour, or how it works.

Thanks in advance! 😉

P.D: I'm working on an adult VN game called Pact with a Witch, but I'm actually looking this for another little project called Secret Glory Hole.

MapletreePaper
Regular
Projects: Language Barrier
Organization: Naval Maple Media
Discord: MapletreePaper

Re: How is it called the one who helps you with SFX and Voice Actors?

#2 Post by MapletreePaper »

It sounds like you're describing two different jobs: a voice director and an audio editor.

Voice directors are rather specialized, so you probably won't find anyone with that skillset here. I suggest recruiting someone off of Casting Call Club. I've never used the site to find directors, but I know it's a reliable source of talent in other areas.

Audio editing, however, is a much more common skill. I suggest you try making a post on the appropriate recruitment board here on the forum. If that fails to get results, I recommend using freelancer sites like Fiverr or Upwork.

Hope that helps! :)

Sarchalen
Regular
Projects: Sugawara Chronicle

Re: How is it called the one who helps you with SFX and Voice Actors?

#3 Post by Sarchalen »

Voice Director - Manages the script and helps the actors interpret how the voices should be done for each take. Usually directs over a live voice call while the VA records. Chooses the best takes for the game. For some teams the voice director also handles casting, since they know which voice works best for each character.

Voice actor - Aside from the acting itself, responsible for ensuring consistent recording quality with clean signal (no background noise), sufficient volume levels without distortion. They will usually provide multiple takes for a line so the director can choose the best one. They will usually deliver the final audio in a single WAV (uncompressed) format.

Audio Engineer - Cuts the recorded audio into individual takes. Adjust levels for consistency and exports to a consistent folder structure for adding to the game. They also might be in charge of setting level for sound effects and music in the game for consistency.

Sound designers - Makes SFX using synthesizers, audio software, sampling etc. Usually you give them a list of things to make and some references, like youtube videos of the sound if you can find one.