NaNoRenO 2010

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

NaNoRenO 2010

#1 Post by PyTom »

majes wrote:My roommate and I heard about NaNoRenO and decided it'd be a fun thing to try out.
And with that, I think it's time to start off the NaNoRenO 2010 coordination thread, where people can get ready for NaNoRenO 2010.

NaNoRenO is a yearly event in which people take the month of March to create a game from scratch. IntRenAiMo is a similar event in which people endeavor to finish their works in progress during March. The distinction we've made is that a game is made from scratch in a month if nothing produced before that month specifically for use in the final game. (Notes and sketches produced in advance are fine. So are resources taken from elsewhere.)

Threads from previous years are at:

2005 http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... ?f=4&t=428
2006 http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... ?f=4&t=943
2007 http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... f=4&t=1750
2008 http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... f=4&t=3011
2009 http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... f=4&t=4709

I'd suggest that, following the precedent of last year, game-specific threads be tagged with [NaNoRenO 2010], so we can find them all again. This thread can be used for "rules" questions, team formation, and general commiserating.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

Re: NaNoRenO 2010

#2 Post by LVUER »

Since I can't join last year NaNoRenO due to busy of working, this year... I will definitely join this year NaNoRenO!
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Aashtarsrain
Regular
Projects: Speed Dater Evolution, The Magistrate

#3 Post by Aashtarsrain »

(:D And I'll be back without Poser models but with original photos for backgrounds and with my own drawings :lol: for a change ! :mrgreen: Good luck everyone !)

EDIT :? Well, considering the final project and for the sake of feasibility, I guess I'll be back in 3D again after all ! :lol: :lol: :lol: Sorry guys... :wink:
Last edited by Aashtarsrain on Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

luminarious
Veteran
Projects: Winter, winter

#4 Post by luminarious »

I just got an idea, so I'm pretty sure I'm participating. I just need to hold myself back from starting too early.. :P

kuroi
Regular

#5 Post by kuroi »

Is it that time of year again? Wow... Time goes by so fast. Kuroi Games is definately going to take part! This year will be a bit hard since I'm moving in March, so I'm looking for a bit of outside help in addition to the usual Kuroi Games staff. We've got programming and art handled so what we would really need most is someone to help with writing. Any writers out there looking to work on a nanoreno project with a distinctly gothic feel?
President, Planner, and Programmer for Kuroi Games!

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by DaFool »

I'll probably join with a solo entry.

I need an outlet to express my current bittersweet feelings as I'm playing what would probably be among the last JRPGs this gen before the companies crash and go bankrupt (or further entrench themselves by making remakes for handhelds).

They say the best stories are made when the writer is really passionate about the subject they're writing. But in this case it'll probably come off as a very selfish piece with no regard to the audience whatsoever, so don't expect anything much.

Sailerius
Regular
Completed: Vacant Sky, The Vestibule, Ars Harmonia
Organization: Project BC

#7 Post by Sailerius »

I'd definitely like to help out with writing. Give me a buzz! :)
Last edited by Sailerius on Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#8 Post by Samu-kun »

I would love to join this year, since this is the first NaNo when I haven't been tied to a particular project or buried with homework. But seeing how I'm in Japan, I might be a bit distracted... We'll have to see how it all turns out. =w=;;

lunasspecto
Regular
Location: USA: New York City (school) and Massachusetts (home)

#9 Post by lunasspecto »

Don't know if this is the best place to discuss the idea, but...

I've had this plot kicking around in my head for the longest time, and maybe it'd make a good NaNoRenO project. It's actually been written already. Almost. Here's what I mean:

The idea is to take the story of Gilbert and Sullivan's comic opera Ruddigore, and to make it non-comic. You see, every event throughout the course of the story has enormous tragic potential - which is always used for comic effect by introducing incongruous frivolities. The only real exception to this pattern is the ending - which is such hilarious nonsense that it has no tragic potential whatsoever. So the idea is to remove the frivolities, focus on the darker side of every situation, and replace the ending with one entirely more devious (to which end I have something in mind).

For those of you unfamiliar with Ruddigore (probably most of you; I hadn't heard of it until last year), here's the basic premise:

A young man (Robin) in a small town is in love with a young woman. The feeling is mutual, but neither is willing to admit it. When the young man finally summons the courage for a proposal,
it is revealed that he is the long-lost older brother of the local baronet (Sir Despard Murgatroyd), and should therefore be the baronet himself; he is therefore forced to take on this role. There is a long-standing curse upon the line of baronets that mandates that he commit some awful misdeed every day, and so the baronet is always deeply feared and reviled. Of course the young woman calls off the marriage. And if he refuses to commit his daily crime, Robin will be tortured to death by the spirits of his ancestors.

The curse itself has a tragic backstory that is introduced at the beginning of the opera: an ancient baronet tortured a witch to death, and the curse is her revenge.
Of course there are further complications in the story, such as Robin's rivalry with the brother he has from his adoptive family (who eventually
brings in the Royal Navy to attack Robin
if I recall correctly).

And here's a number from the opera, sung by Despard (the protagonist's younger brother): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkkxPeI-wIo That's Vincent Price playing Despard, by the way.

Something like this could probably be told with whatever stock castle and seaside village backgrounds I can find and a few appropriate sprites.
Last edited by lunasspecto on Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
from the virtual desk of Kazuki Mishima

majes
Projects: NaNoRenO Game

#10 Post by majes »

I'll be collaborating with Izdubar. He wants to make a VN set in a post-apocalyptic North America. I promise it won't be Fallout: The Visual Novel. :lol:

number473
Regular
Projects: The Duke's Daughter

#11 Post by number473 »

I'm interested in participating, but I certainly can't manage a whole project on my own, so I'll go with offering my services to a project that needs a writer. That's regardless of how much story you have already. And whatever genre, although I'd rather it was something light unless it's sf. PM me if interested.
Mental weather report: Cloudy with a possibility of brain storms.

Scout
Veteran
Projects: A Princess of Venus

#12 Post by Scout »

I will, of course, be participating, since the month-long work period is apparently what it takes to make me actually FINISH something. And this time, the art won't be by me! (Which is to say, NO MORE CRAYONS.)
I also may even have a secret project that I'm working on this month... but that'd be telling, wouldn't it? :wink:
I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm terribly excited.

Tsundere Lightning
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: And plenty of them!

#13 Post by Tsundere Lightning »

I'm in. My project will be a sort of spiritual successor to Star Control: The Ur-Quan Masters - only much simpler, and entirely a visual novel.

The Federation of Solar Colonies has lost contact with it's colonies on the rim. (That's bad). Find out what happened. Have this tramp trader, and if you meet any aliens on the way - well, we need help and to trade, but try not to sell the homeworld, and don't come crying to me if you accidentally get married to a Grey.
She's sun and rain: She's fire and ice. A little crazy, but it's nice.
Bliss Stage: Love is your weapon! A sci-fi visual novel about child soldiers coming of age. Kickstarter prerelease here. WIP thread here. Original tabletop game by Ben Lehman here. Tumblr here.

usul
Veteran
Projects: Teachings of the Buddha, System-Addict, Generation XxX

#14 Post by usul »

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I'm back out of the blue. I've left Ren'py untouched for a while now and I'd like to get back to it with something simple. It's a story idea I thought of when I first discovered Ren'py roughly two years ago. I've played with Ren'Py since then exploring more than producing anything focused. But I'd really like to have a complete game under my belt, something short and sweet.

Here's the idea. Remember those old detective stories of the Film Noir era? A clever detective, a femme fatale, a mysterious case that leads to nothing but trouble. That's the general idea. This story revolves around a particular parrot who talks too much for its own good. Hence the title of the Game: The Scarlet Macaw.

Here's a snapshot of what I had started a couple of years ago. I'm thinking of going manga-style with the characters this time around.
Attachments
scarlet_macaw_small.png
Last edited by usul on Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The universe is non-simultaneously apprehended"
— Buckminster Fuller

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#15 Post by PyTom »

The size of the upload directory is now large enough it can't be represented in 32 bits. So we were getting an error from the forum software. I've fixed it, and we should be good now.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom