2d anime character generator

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
stacia

2d anime character generator

#1 Post by stacia »

Does anyone have a list of programs that can be used to generate character art? My friend has a cool program (http://khmix.sakura.ne.jp/download.shtml) , but it only does girls. It seems like there must be a japanese program somewhere which can be more flexible. I just found something called Alicedotnet - has anyone had any success on that?

Aka-kami
Regular
Projects: A long-ish project. Will probably make a WIP thread when it's 50% done.

Re: 2d anime character generator

#2 Post by Aka-kami »

a long time ago, i found a version of that very program that makes guys as well.

I don't have the file anymore, and i can't remember where i downloaded it...

sorry.
See ya.

stacia

#3 Post by stacia »

Ohhh noo. Please anyone let me know if you find the version that makes guys...I'll divulge my secret on a great program to create music if so.

Antissa

#4 Post by Antissa »

I found the male charset for KHMix yesterday.

First, you'll have to go on this site. Then, click on the third link on the second row on the top of the page. On the next page, download the first file on the list (the one with the h02-03 thing).

Open that file and you'll notice that there are a lot of other compressed files inside. The one with the male char is "part_yomo_01.lzh".

Extract the files inside their respective folders on data/default directory (it is on the same folder as the program).

(I'm not exactly sure if the file is free for use on games, though; most of the files on the site are free use unless the creator says otherwise, for what I know, but I wasn't able to read the readme file that comes with that specific charset...)

Adsiltia

#5 Post by Adsiltia »

I actually made a set on this thread: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =26&t=5511

I've been working on and off on a new set and created a new doll that's more mature looking but hasn't been converted for the program yet. I've got a female one on hold but I'm trying to add as much as I can for a male set first since there's a lack of VN male dolls out there.

As long as you have a program that can read PSD and supports layers, you should be able to use this file. You can use or add anything to this character set and you don't even have to credit me on it. It would be great if someone else could just convert this set for khmix's character program for me since it requires a lot of manual labor and keeping track of a lot of file names. Please see linked thread above about creating and adding a set for this program.

Download PSD set for Adam here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HFUR2ND4
Attachments
Preview of the Adam
Preview of the Adam

vaanknight
Regular
Completed: Happy Weird-Day! How a freckled fairy can save your world (Or get more freckles in the process...)"
Projects: Nameless 2D Fighting Game

#6 Post by vaanknight »

Wonderful, this is just what I needed! I just joined and this is quite a welcome for me xD

Is the Adam set's layers on folders? because I only have PS elements ¬3¬ and I seriously don't want to get other edition software.

Adsiltia

#7 Post by Adsiltia »

Actually yes, the Adam PSD set has the layers inside folders. I made the set using Photoshop CS3.

flowerthief
Regular

#8 Post by flowerthief »

I've got an idea for a project...someone tell me if it's a good or bad one.

I'm thinking about authoring a bishojo dating simulation in which ALL the characters will be generated using K.HMix's character generator using his default template. (I actually discovered this tool independently and was thinking about mentioning it on these forums but it looks like you already knew^^) Besides making the art demands trivially easy on me, this will have the advantage of allowing the implementation of a feature whereby players can design their own characters using the same tool and insert them into the game.

In other words, it will be a semi-customizable dating simulation. No limit to the number of characters that can be added to it. I would include a guide explaining how to use one's own custom characters in the game, and maybe try to arrange with K.HMix to get his tool translated to English so everyone can play around with it easily.

As far as I know nothing like this has been done before so it seems fun and exciting to me, but I dunno. Does anyone else think it's a worthwhile idea? The dating sim btw will be the traditional Tokimemo sort with stat management and number-crunching.
Customizable datesim in beta! Need testers!
Idolcraft - RPG-style bishoujo simulation

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#9 Post by papillon »

I am actually working on a dating sim with customisable characters, although it's with very different art. :)

Meems
Regular

#10 Post by Meems »

It's a pretty good idea - after all, customisable characters are already a pretty big thing in western RPGs and similar games (though that's usually the player character). There's one or two things to consider, though. Most importantly: if the player can create their own characters and there is no limit to characters, how do they fit in to the over-all story? Is there an over-all story at all?
I still think you could do some very interesting things with the idea, but it will take some good writing to make sure it doesn't come off as a gimmick. Make sure the rest of the gameplay has substance.

Also - and this has no bearing on the quality of your core idea; it's just a personal nitpick - I have to admit that I am not fond of the default character set. Lolis are not my cup of tea.

mduffor

#11 Post by mduffor »

Another issue to consider is any CG/cutscene graphics you want to create that involve the main [customizeable] character. If you are only using characters/sprites over backgrounds, then no problems. But it may limit you on galleries, ending graphics, intro/outro sceens, etc.

That said, I'm a big fan of customizable graphics and trying to get the biggest bang for your buck on character art. It helps to have multiple base types though, so all your characters don't look the same weight and height.

Cheers,
Michael
Blog + website = www.mduffor.com

flowerthief
Regular

#12 Post by flowerthief »

Thanks for the feedback.

Truth be told I would prefer character art that looked slightly more mature myself. But that particular template has more available for it than any others out there by far. As a google search shows, you can get an infinite number of distinct characters out of it.
There are some other templates, such as this commercial one. But even if I paid to download one of those, the audience of my game wouldn't be able to create their own characters unless they also paid for a copy. (and I don't have the means to buy Japanese goods online anyway ><)

Event CG and endings CG, will just have to do without unfortunately. I don't see any getting around that.

Story/setting will probably have to be fairly conservative in order to have wide appeal. A basic high school setting probably. (Could those girls pass for high school students?) Yeah, I think the idea is gonna stand or fall on the quality of the gameplay.

VoluptuousVixen

#13 Post by VoluptuousVixen »

A CALL OUT TO ALL THE NEWBIES WHO CAN'T DRAW ANYTHING (me included...)
Well K.H. Mix is splendid in its own way, but the updates on it is too few(as its choices), but there are some places (I can't really find them though...) that has the extra character sets and costumes. Too bad for the link that Antissa gave, most of it seems to be restricted... <Tears> But I did found one of the site (out of few which hold the exact same thing) with many added on, too bad some of it is broken, but the choices are still plentiful!
http://twilightdreamsscans.darkbb.com/f ... r-t222.htm
Give them some thanks if you can!!! And if anyone wanted me to post the edited fix here, please PM me.
I know the Thread is for something else but the title is too good to pass!!!

Antissa

#14 Post by Antissa »

VoluptuousVixen wrote:A CALL OUT TO ALL THE NEWBIES WHO CAN'T DRAW ANYTHING (me included...)
Well K.H. Mix is splendid in its own way, but the updates on it is too few(as its choices), but there are some places (I can't really find them though...) that has the extra character sets and costumes. Too bad for the link that Antissa gave, most of it seems to be restricted... <Tears> But I did found one of the site (out of few which hold the exact same thing) with many added on, too bad some of it is broken, but the choices are still plentiful!
http://twilightdreamsscans.darkbb.com/f ... r-t222.htm
Give them some thanks if you can!!! And if anyone wanted me to post the edited fix here, please PM me.
I know the Thread is for something else but the title is too good to pass!!!
When you say "restricted", you mean because of the licenses of use or did you actually have trouble downloading the sets? It's just that I remembered that you can't download on Nantoka through Google Translator (it gives you a 403 Forbidden on the download pages)... Should have mentioned it earlier, sorry for that... :oops:

Thanks for the link, anyway. I noticed most of the extra costumes are from some of the Nantoka sets, actually. Kinda wonder if it is ok to use them (I may try to find the licenses on the sets I got earlier and see if I get something coherent on Google Translator about them... I wish I knew more about the language. :cry: )

flowerthief
Regular

#15 Post by flowerthief »

The terms of use, if any, will be in the respective readme file of each custom set. Most of them just say, "feel free to use this however you like", so you probably don't need to worry. To be safe I'd credit the author of each set you use. (I'd do that even if they didn't ask me to)

Man, I had decided on a different, more mature-looking template for my game, but seeing these again I'm torn... might have to make two different versions of my game :lol: