Newb requesting a little help >.>

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Kelari

Newb requesting a little help >.>

#1 Post by Kelari »

Hello, my name's Kelari, Kel for short. I found this platform a few days ago, and thought it would be perfect to play around with. I love creating new things, especially for other people to enjoy.

So I thought I'd try making a dating sim, though it seems that the coding has got the better of me. >.>

What I'd like to do, is make it so that the text box (say window) is shorter to the right so I can put the stats menu there. (Text box on the left, stats window on the right)
As well, I was just curious, can you make it possible to maybe have a choice between main characters? Like you get to choose to be May, Mary, or Jane?

Thanks in advance for all the help!
"Life in writing - it's always loquacious."

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#2 Post by PyTom »

When you say "this platform", what do you mean? Ren'Py/DSE, or something else?

For Ren'Py, to shrink the say window, you can simply specify that it has a larger right_margin, using a command like:

Code: Select all

$ style.window.right_margin = 150
Inside an init block. 150 is the number of pixels to reserver on the right... it can be bigger or smaller.

The quick answer is, yes, it is possible to have a choice of characters. It would help, though, if you explained what you meant by that. Just changing the names, or changing the stories. It's probably easier to keep a single gender for the pov character, but that's not strictly necessary... IIRC, Icekiss's dse game lets the user pick their gender. (And in a clever way, too...)

Kelari

oi

#3 Post by Kelari »

Thank you so much for the help (over msgr as well). I got it to work so far, now just getting the rest of it to go along with it hehe. All that comes with time though, and a little fiddling.

Thanks again :)

Kelari

I'm baaack

#4 Post by Kelari »

'Ello there peeps. I gots more questions about DSE....>.>;;

First of all, how do I make it so my stats box is always showing? It always seems to disappear on me.

Can I make someone say something random? Like:
"It's too bad I'm sick, I really wanted to go to the (Park, Mall, Arcade, etc...)

And how do I get a random event? Say I wanted Sue to pop up occasionally when I head to the park, and then a random of several different dialogues.

Heh, lotsa questions. Sorry folks.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#5 Post by PyTom »

I'll respond in a little bit in the Ren'Py forum, so look for it there.

So say we all.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom