Greetings, ladies and gentlemen!

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Admiral Styles

Greetings, ladies and gentlemen!

#1 Post by Admiral Styles »

*tips hat*

Good day to you! I go by the name Admiral Styles. I enjoy video games, the occasional animé series, and settling down to read with a good book every now and then. 'Hajimemashite', I believe it goes in Japanese. :)

My first reason for posting here was to express my congrats on the making of the "Ren'Py" program. I wondered whether anyone was ever going to attempt the construction of a Visual Novel maker, and as the years passed and nothing turned up, I figured no one would. But one day while browsing the Information Superhighway, I found myself clicking on a link, then another link, and another, until before I knew it I was downloading "Moonlight Walks". I went on to play "Garden Society Kykuit" and "Metropolitan Blues" (all fun, well-written works). Heck, they've made me consider creating a visual novel of my own, as a side project of sorts. Who knows? A genuine "hip hip hurray!" to the creator of Ren'Py and the makers of all these games, large or small. You deserve a pat on the back. :)

My second reason for posting here was to do a bit of advertising and hopeful recruiting! I'm a bit of a "Game Maker" myself; I've been working on a RPG series (using the RPG Maker 2000 program) named "Love and War" for a number of years now. The first Act is done and out, it was released last year. Work continues on Act II and beyond. Now, it's not a Visual Novel by any stretch of the imagination, but after perusing a number of the "Ren ai" games offered I realized there were quite a few similarities. One of the features I most hoped to implement (and thus of course, the one that proved the most troublesome) was the adding of "picture cutscenes". Basically, at certain points in the RPG, a picture would appear to convey a moment in a scene, perhaps an intense battle, or a romantic moment, or a character quietly reflecting.

Unfortunately, I've had some poor luck with artists; they all seemed to more or less disappear after providing me with only a sketch or two. :( For Act I, I had the "bright" idea of using a few pieces of Google-found art as placeholders, to be replaced when a reliable artist was found. This never happened, and I was forced to go forward with the Google art still there, much to my regret.

Flash forward to today. I'd like to avoid making the same mistake, and this time secure an artist in advance. I thought this might be a place with possible interested recruits. :) So, if there are any artists around here who find themselves interested in such a project, please let me know, either via e-mail (ofloveandwar@hotmail.com), or by replying here. :)

If RPGs are your kind of thing and you'd like to check it out, you can find Act I here: http://www.gamingw.net/games/420?l=downloads

Comments, questions, kudos or constructive criticisms would be nice to have as well. :)

(Oh, and, if you're unfamiliar with RPG Maker 2000, you will probably need to download and install the "RTP" as well, which provides needed graphics and sounds. You can find it here: http://www.antiochforever.com/antwars/files/RTPe.zip )

Here's Lavender Regale, one of the major characters of my RPG! Drawn by one of the seemingly "lost" artists, and colored by me, with the help of a friend. Judging from the e-mail I've gotten, she seems to be one of the most beloved characters. Hmm, I wonder why?

Anyhow, that concludes my post. Regardless of what happens, I wish you all well, and the best of luck with any projects of your own. :)
"When men are pure, laws are useless;
When men are corrupt, laws are broken."
-Benjamin Disraeli

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#2 Post by mikey »

^_^ Seems like problems are the same everywhere in freetime game development.

I don't know what else to say though... maybe that as far as the artist selection goes, my advice is to prefer stable artists over skilled ones, because regardless of what others say, you need a finished game (not YOU, but generally speaking).

Many very good artists are simply artists - just like painters they have a vision, bring it on paper and that's what makes them happy. But a game artist is a special kind of person - he has to know he doesn't draw a picture, but individual elements of a picture and ultimately of a game.

The dilemma is, that you don't tell a free artist what to draw. But once a game design is made, the artist has to listen to some other person's instructions and ideas - it's often limiting. There are many people for whom it is much easier and more satisfying to draw pictures and make their own galleries, than draw for a game.

Sad, sad.
Waaah, please someone, post something encouraging!

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#3 Post by Blue Lemma »

Sage words from mikey :D
Admiral Styles wrote:Unfortunately, I've had some poor luck with artists; they all seemed to more or less disappear after providing me with only a sketch or two.
Get used to that one... :?

There are some artists out there who can draw for a game and stick with it, but to find one, you'll have to either get really lucky or pay money.

btw, cute char, cute pose! ^o^
mikey wrote:Waaah, please someone, post something encouraging!
As these types of games gain popularity, we might be able to offer small amounts of money for artists and also find a bigger pool of interested artists :D

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#4 Post by rioka »

Hajimemashite Admiral Styles-san! Douzo yoroshiku. Welcome to the forum. If you're up to it, there's this annual event called NaNoRenO where we challenge developers to make a ren'ai game in one month. Come and join us next year! =D

The thing about artists, especially those working voluntarily, is that it's more of a hit-and-miss deal. Some keep up their end and some unfortunately do not. I think what most artists find themselves in is biting off more than they can chew or just do not understand the proirity of "completing" something as mikey says and/or just do not ask the appropriate questions before signing up.

The best advice I can give you is to post the amount of artwork that you will require such as 4 characters, each having 5 emotional states each - colored, and in full body pose plus giving a scope of when you expect the artwork to be done (personally, I'd state something a few weeks earlier than actual release to make room for leeways, etc).

When working with Taleweaver, that was the first thing I asked - how many characters, how many poses, deadline(s), color or no color, and any other "extras". (Of course, you can mention this in PM and not in an open post to keep development info underwraps. ^^)

Bah, I'm blabbing. Well, anyways, hope that helps. =)

Too bad you weren't around earlier... I may have volunteered for the art then. ^^

Dre
Regular

#5 Post by Dre »

Cool art! What all do you have so far? What all will you need? Depending on these answers, I might beable to give a helping hand. If you want it is up to you. Just check out my site if your interested.

Admiral Styles

#6 Post by Admiral Styles »

Thanks for the friendly welcome y'all, it's much appreciated. :)

Mikey: Good advice, I'll keep it in mind. And I do want a FINISHED game, though in practice I've just come to aim for as close to that as possible, and if one day I actually do succeed in completing the whole thing, then... so much the better!

Blue Lemma: Don't I know it! At one point I almost considered trying to find the cash to pay for an artist. But I'm just a poor University student, so that really wasn't an option. And thanks for the compliment on Lavie, "cute" is indeed the word to describe her, I figure. :)

Eclipse: NaNoRenO, you say? I guess it has nothing to do with that Reno in Nevada? Sounds interesting... Maybe I will. Maybe I will... Of course, I'd have to figure out how to use Ren'Py (which seems a bit daunting at the moment), as well as scrounge up more art for this project. But who knows what tomorrow may bring!

Point well taken on artists; I'm sure it's not easy to draw stuff consistently, and there is that whole life thing that keeps interfering. Still, I wish they would have let me know about not being able to contribute anymore, instead of just going silent forevermore... Oh well, that's the way it goes sometimes...

Heh, too bad indeed. Well, maybe sometime in the future when you've more time on your hands? :)

Dre: Neat! Cool! Even "schway", as they used to say in Batman Beyond! I'll send you an e-mail then, hopefully we can work something out. :)
-Benjamin Disraeli

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#7 Post by musical74 »

Welcome aboard!

I'm one of those that plays the games that mikey, BL, eclipse, et al make and wait (somewhat) patiently for their next game =)

NaNoRenO games are really interesting I think...it's great seeing what people can come up with given only a month's time to make a game from scratch - well, not totally from scratch, RenPy is a great tool and if you have any questions, feel free to ask PyTom about anything associated with it.
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#8 Post by PyTom »

musical74 wrote:and if you have any questions, feel free to ask PyTom about anything associated with it.
Thanks for the volunteering! :-P
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Otaku Dash
Veteran

#9 Post by Otaku Dash »

Welcome to the forums Admiral! Please enjoy your stay here.... wich I'm sure you will :)

I'm an RPG fan, so I try to play all the RPGs I can find. I played from everything so far.... to the Traditional Turn based RPG's like Final Fantasy... to the amazing "good or evil" personality breaker Fable. It was with great joy that I followed your advice and started playing Law 1.... and I must say .... it's a great game! :D

Yes, it's true that you had to use regular sprites from RTP... a minor setback in my opinion. I haven't finished it yet due to lack of time... but before I realized I was already downloading the games that gave you inspiration! :) O_O (yes I'm addicted to Rpgs like that).

Currently I'm working on my game with Ren'py... I have been having some dificulties advancing in it due to personal problems, so I'm afraid I cannot help you at the moment. (currently improving sprite art techs and manga darwing)

However I will give my support to the project. I will be rooting for you and your team. :)

(oh if you don't mind... I might be able to send you a PM with opinion on Law 1 once I finish it).
"Life is like a flower....take care of it and watch it bloom......only there will you see its true beauty" - Myself

"Emptiness....that is...true fear...."

-FEAR THE NARU PUNCH!!- :)

Admiral Styles

#10 Post by Admiral Styles »

Musical74: Thanks! It sort of sounds like it's an exciting new period for fan-made Ren'ai games, with new growth on the horizon. Cool.

PyTom: Heh, if I have questions, I'll try not to be too pesky?

Otaku Dash: I appreciate the kind words. You're working on a game too? Maybe I could help in some way, do a little writing, perhaps? I figure it may be easier to start off helping someone else with their project before leaping headfirst into one of my own. Good luck in any case, hope you complete it. And yes, please do go ahead and send that PM. I enjoy hearing what people think about my RPG. :)
-Benjamin Disraeli

Otaku Dash
Veteran

#11 Post by Otaku Dash »

All the help is apreciated! The thread for my game is here http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewtopic.php?t=650 and it's going to be a saga for Ren'py called "Iluminaire: Quest for higuer heaven".

Once I have some things sorted out I may be able to send you a resumé (or the script if you like) of the first part.

Been playing Law little by little and I'm enjoying it very much. I really love lavie... I almost laughed myself to death when Henrik was praying to god to spare Armid for his "argument" on Lavies Cooking. XD ( oh and is Ryan blind or he can't see the facts? ... If you know what I mean ;) :P )
Last edited by Otaku Dash on Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Life is like a flower....take care of it and watch it bloom......only there will you see its true beauty" - Myself

"Emptiness....that is...true fear...."

-FEAR THE NARU PUNCH!!- :)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#12 Post by PyTom »

Admiral Styles wrote: PyTom: Heh, if I have questions, I'll try not to be too pesky?
Oh, I don't mind answering questions... I just like busting peoples chops when they volunteer me for things.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#13 Post by musical74 »

Sorry about that, PyTom :S I try to not get on people's bad side, sorry if I accidentally did there.
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

Admiral Styles

#14 Post by Admiral Styles »

Otaku Dash wrote:All the help is apreciated! The thread for my game is here http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewtopic.php?t=650 and it's going to be a saga for Ren'py called "Iluminaire: Quest for higuer heaven".

Once I have some things sorted out I may be able to send you a resumé (or the script if you like) of the first part.
Sure, go ahead and do so. Just tell me what you'd need done, and I'll see what I can do. :)
Been playing Law little by little and I'm enjoying it very much. I really love lavie... I almost laughed myself to death when Henrik was praying to god to spare Armid for his "argument" on Lavies Cooking. XD ( oh and is Ryan blind or he can't see the facts? ... If you know what I mean ;) :P )
Hehe, everybody loves Lavie! And Ryan, blind? In some ways, perhaps, perhaps... ;)
-Benjamin Disraeli

Keota

#15 Post by Keota »

^^ nice to meet you Admiral Styles, welcome to the forums. I'm quite interested in doing art for your RPG (Seeing as my own RenPy game is moving along like a turtle on decaff) If you gave me a description of some of your main characters I could do sample drawings to show you. Please contact me over MSN as my e-mail is currently being a bitch. My addy is alexanderclowes@blueyonder.co.uk and I wish you good luck in your search.