Re-editions

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

Re-editions

#1 Post by mikey »

Hmmm, so there's this discussion about revitalizing "old" games with new graphics.

The theory: It's great. Now that you have a finished game, there's nothing stopping you from looking for improvements - in theory the game is done and a potential better artist KNOWS it gets finished. His work will not be in vain.

Reality: Who knows? I for one tend to have a "case closed" approach. It would be fairly easy to up Kaori's graphics for instance. It's not because I'm lazy, but... it costs time.

I think everyone can agree that the renai.us games (and more or less fan-game in general) could in many cases look better. I myself like to always bring this up - finishing a game is the goal - but it doesn't have to stop there - you can refine an re-edit it until you are happy. The reality is that it's rarely being done.

BL mentioned some games, I'd say Amatire could be re-edited, also at least Kaori from my side... how do you see it? Perhaps it's true and many more people would play the games if we would re-edit them.

Other questions: Would it be an attractive offer to just post on other forums "looking for artists"? In theory yes, but who knows. Or how much time and effort would you be willing to give to such a project? It's not easy to find artists, to get them to draw, OTOH they would already know what to draw, so in theory you can just sit back and relax - wait for the pictures and if they don't come it's too bad for the artist, but yiou don't lose your game anymore.

Perhaps artists could be encouraged somehow to make their own vision of a game that is to be re-edited. Take Amatire - there's huge space for creative artistic vision - and you're already working with a certainty of a finished (if small) game.

This also extends to game music - silent games could get music, maybe there could be a list of silent games and musicians could compose soundtracks? For instance on a "pimp my game" site - the site would list games and describe (show) their elements - artists who think they can "do better" or fill some of the blanks could see it - and somehow get motivated to participate. The "artists wanted" announcements don't seem to work all too well.

Perhaps even "blank" games could be made - no graphics, but script and engine. Would that be motivating for an artist?

I know, random thoughts. I just thought I'd open a discussion, the art has become a prominent issue these days so perhaps some ideas will be able to help. :?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#2 Post by PyTom »

I figure that one of these days I will reissue moonlight walks, with a number of minor bug fixes, and to update it to a relatively modern Ren'Py engine.

I'm not really planning on collaborating with anyone to do that, however... The real thing would be to ship with less compressed graphics (which look lousy on my LCD monitor), and also to fix some bugs. (One tense error, and one place where the moon is visible where it shouldn't be.)

It'll also be compatible with the new mac launcher, when it exists.

I'm debating if I should put in some unlockable backstory commentary.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#3 Post by rioka »

My feelings as far as art goes - once it's done, it's done. I will not go back and redo it. I did the best at that point in time and redoing it after I've gotten better or having someone else redraw it - out of the question. I basically see no reason for it. Now, if I was doing a sequal or something, that's when old artwork is up to evaluation for upgrading. For music, I would consider adding it in depending if I had time and other factors (remembers AP and it's lack of music).

Re: Re-editions

#4 Post by Guest »

mikey wrote:For instance on a "pimp my game" site
You're killing me!!!! ^_____^
"Pimp my game" is such a cool expression we'll need an own forum corner for that one!

On a more serious note: If artists are really so rare that they can choose the project, I'd figure they'd rather go for something new. On the other hand, it doesn't hurt to try. I have the same approach (once it's finished don't touch it), but then again it's like you said -- the artist has a better view of what's needed. And there will always be people who play the game for the first time. So it's maybe worth a try?

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: GO! Magical Boy (2006), Angelic Orbs (soundtrack)
Projects: Cyberlin (in progress)

#5 Post by Alessio »

(Just for the record, "Guest" above is me. Forgot to log in. Sorry.)

Dre
Regular

#6 Post by Dre »

For instance on a "pimp my game" site - the site would list games and describe (show) their elements - artists who think they can "do better" or fill some of the blanks could see it - and somehow get motivated to participate. The "artists wanted" announcements don't seem to work all too well.

Perhaps even "blank" games could be made - no graphics, but script and engine. Would that be motivating for an artist?
Hum.....from an artist point of view, this would be kinda cool. It'll make it easier for the artist and the maker to work together because they'll both have the same idea when the artist picks the game he likes the most. But then again, artist are few and artist that are willing to go all the way are even fewer. I guess this would work better as an side feature on an site.

Eh....my 2 nickels...

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

mikey wrote:I'd say Amatire could be re-edited...
I messaged Gloranor about that... but I haven't gotten a response...

I think re-releasing a game is a good idea. But only if it's not a whole lot of extra work- and the improvement is a drastic one. I don't know what Kasuka looked like before, but it seems like Grey was very glad that she redid the graphics

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#8 Post by musical74 »

I have mixed feelings on this...on one hand, if a game is reissued with better graphics, better sound, and more to the story or more hidden features and so forth, then I wouldn't mind - make a game that initally didn't have sound now support it, for example. BUT...if the only difference between the old game and the new edition is improved graphics, I would probably pass on it. I'm more interested in story and plot; it a game has top-of-the-line story and plot and so-so graphics I'm more inclined to try that than a game that has great graphics and nothing else...
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

Grey
Veteran

#9 Post by Grey »

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#10 Post by mikey »

Well, some of the IMO best English VNs like Phantom or EVE have been re-edited as far as I know. So it's not completely uncommon. The fact is many works get re-edited.

From my point of view I have too many new ideas and projects (in my head) to just stop and go back. But perhaps I'll take a year off at some point and make an ATPP Memorial Collection, hmmm... When I do, slap me, because I'll be just living in the past.

Well, maybe it's not that dramatic. There's no real point in playing when it's just a few minor tweaks (if we were in the commercial sector, we'd be pulling money from players' wallets). But the point is of course something else - there are (and there will be) many first-time players and a re-edition would primarily be for them.

Plus, the idea of either completely blank games or free for re-editing would be just that - an option for artists. Still, maybe the benefits of a safe investment would be enough.