Battle Engine?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Jake
Support Hero

Re: Battle Engine?

#16 Post by Jake »

unknown5 wrote: questions:
1) when attacker engages opponent is it possible to display close up reaction shots on top using show bandit hurt1, show bandit hurt2, show bandit death, show nobleman ouch1, etc? and option to turn it on/off?
This kind of thing will certainly be possible as an add-in extra; I've been thinking about cut-in shots over the top of the battle since MorningStar (where they didn't make it in due to time constraints), and there's certainly nothing about the framework I've got at the moment which rules it out.
unknown5 wrote: 2) mebbe add labels to stat bars - HP/AP (action points) etc? i always skip ahead and never know what's going on, so wasn't sure what the blue bar the bottom was at first, lol.
All the UI elements are built into a single class which can be swapped out fairly easily, so yes - even if you don't like the options I provide with the engine, it should be possible to add your own. One of the options I intend to include in the code package once I've got it all sorted out will be an older-FF-style stat bar at the bottom of the screen with the initiative bars and health readouts for the player characters on.
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#17 Post by DaFool »

Just came across your battle engine; I really like it. Having an open-source version of the Abraxas engine would be much appreciated.

I've been currently out-of-action for a while since I've been playing current-gen RPGs, but I am really intent on ceasing my streak of total unproductivity. Curiously enough, I am starting to enjoy the SRPG or tactical types more these days. Plus, each SRPG battle runs far longer than a conventional [JRPG] battle, making it more suited for visual novel hybrids.

Are you familiar with Valkyria Chronicles? If a battle can capture that style but in 2D then that would be perfect for me. There's nothing wrong with the ATB system like you have, but I've just been playing FFXIII (which supposedly has the ATB system perfected) and it has been less engaging than a more SRPG approach such as Resonance of Fate that like VC uses Command Points and Action Points (the Move Distance Bar is what replaces the Active Time Bar). There is a separate Player Phase and Enemy Phase so you can move all your characters in one turn. Each attack/defend/item consumes just one Action Point each, while special moves or heavy vehicles consume more Command Points instead.

Is the grid in hexes or squares? I'm thinking of making a basic mecha game like Front Mission. It looks like the Abraxas battle engine can be suited to it. The only other feature I would need is a 'Garage Room' where I have a grid view of each mech's exchangeable armor and weaponry. Combined with the particular pilot chosen (a stereotypical moe anime girl, I presume), the stats would be tallied up.

Combined with VN cutscenes narrated in book fashion like VC, I think that sums up my perfect SPRG right there.

Lunethex
Regular

#18 Post by Lunethex »

DaFool wrote:Just came across your battle engine; I really like it. Having an open-source version of the Abraxas engine would be much appreciated.

I've been currently out-of-action for a while since I've been playing current-gen RPGs, but I am really intent on ceasing my streak of total unproductivity. Curiously enough, I am starting to enjoy the SRPG or tactical types more these days. Plus, each SRPG battle runs far longer than a conventional [JRPG] battle, making it more suited for visual novel hybrids.

Are you familiar with Valkyria Chronicles? If a battle can capture that style but in 2D then that would be perfect for me. There's nothing wrong with the ATB system like you have, but I've just been playing FFXIII (which supposedly has the ATB system perfected) and it has been less engaging than a more SRPG approach such as Resonance of Fate that like VC uses Command Points and Action Points (the Move Distance Bar is what replaces the Active Time Bar). There is a separate Player Phase and Enemy Phase so you can move all your characters in one turn. Each attack/defend/item consumes just one Action Point each, while special moves or heavy vehicles consume more Command Points instead.

Is the grid in hexes or squares? I'm thinking of making a basic mecha game like Front Mission. It looks like the Abraxas battle engine can be suited to it. The only other feature I would need is a 'Garage Room' where I have a grid view of each mech's exchangeable armor and weaponry. Combined with the particular pilot chosen (a stereotypical moe anime girl, I presume), the stats would be tallied up.

Combined with VN cutscenes narrated in book fashion like VC, I think that sums up my perfect SPRG right there.
Revolutionary titles such as those can't possibly be contained by a VN system. I still think Sengoku Rance did strategy perfectly when it came to VNs.

Jake
Support Hero

#19 Post by Jake »

DaFool wrote: Are you familiar with Valkyria Chronicles? If a battle can capture that style but in 2D then that would be perfect for me.
Not incredibly so, but from the Wikipedia article I gather it's a two-tier blend between a fairly standard turn-based strategy game and an action-mode where you aim shots a la FPS? Without playing it myself it's hard to say, but any kind of action sequence would need some pretty hefty custom coding, probably directly in pygame. Personally, I'm not particularly interested in implementing anything action-y, though.
DaFool wrote: which supposedly has the ATB system perfected
(As it goes, I've heard mixed reviews as to whether this claim holds any water, soo... ;-)
DaFool wrote: more SRPG approach such as Resonance of Fate that like VC uses Command Points and Action Points (the Move Distance Bar is what replaces the Active Time Bar). There is a separate Player Phase and Enemy Phase so you can move all your characters in one turn. Each attack/defend/item consumes just one Action Point each, while special moves or heavy vehicles consume more Command Points instead.
Well, this sounds like a fairly standard turn-based tactical sytem, a la UFO... which is something I'd like to be able to support, but it's a lower priority than ATB-style or the style in the demo that I'm using for Abraxas.
DaFool wrote: Is the grid in hexes or squares?
Presently, there's no grid support at all, actually - what you see in the demo is battlefields composed of arbitrary positions, where each position has a list of other positions it's valid to move to. I do plan to support grids as well, and if it goes the way I'm planning then it should be equally easy to support both hexes and squares... but I've not written that bit yet. ;-)
Lunethex wrote: Revolutionary titles such as those can't possibly be contained by a VN system. I still think Sengoku Rance did strategy perfectly when it came to VNs.
I'm curious which titles you're referring to which are so revolutionary that they couldn't possibly be contained in a VN system... the Valkyria Chronicles one sounds hardest, but it's still eminently possible, it would just require some fairly hefty coding in PyGame. Ren'Py is a fairly open framework for building VNs once you escape Ren'Py-script and start writing in Python, In technical terms, I wouldn't like to claim anything is utterly impossible with it... just varying degrees of difficult.

In gameplay terms, I might agree more - there would come a point where the game would stop being a VN and start being an SRPG or whatever which happened to be running in a VN engine... but that's hardly a problem either, really, it's just a different type of game. A lot of SRPGs are basically VNs with battles in between each bit of plot.

(And none of the titles DaFool mentioned sound particularly revolutionary, either; I may be missing something, but his description of Resonance of Fate doesn't differ greatly from a huge number of SRPG/turn-based-tactics games, and Valkyria Chronicles sounds suspiciously like Ring of Red.)

So how did Sengoku Rance do it?

Lunethex
Regular

#20 Post by Lunethex »

Jake, man, you make me think you lack the ability to understand sarcasm.

Also he didn't give you a fully detailed explanation of Resonance of Fate, and you aren't a gamer, right? You probably wouldn't be able to appreciate the true value of these things.

Valkyria Chronicles, which I've beaten two times, uses a combat system that sadly did not get the attention it deserved. Japanese developers have to stop putting the word "Chronicles" in their game titles. Anyway it'd be so much easier to get you to watch a video then to explain it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-0RY4TTNwE

-Basically what you see, everything has different little move bars at the bottom. When a type of unit reaches level 11, it gets bigger.
-You can perform 1 action per time you select a soldier. Selecting a soldier requires a "CP" point, which is shown at the top of the "Map" mode.
-Every unit has "Potentials", which can refill their movement bar, or give them another action.
-You move around dynamically. Strategy is constantly changing, you have to plan "everything", it's tailored very well.
-You can only move one unit at a time. Also, enemies will automatically fire at the person you control, but they can't attack other units on standby, and your standby units can't fight back either. If an enemy moves, your guys will lay into them automatically.

And, well, I doubt a simple video can get a single point of tri-Ace's next greatest RPG out, so if you can, try reading this guy's review about it.

It's a bit long winded.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/rpg/endofet ... %3Breview3

The style these games use can't be used for VNs, it'd just be a tragedy if you watered all that down. Sengoku Rance, on the other hand, I think does it just fine.

In Sengoku Rance, you start off with one territory, you've got plenty of enemy states, and it's an EXTREMELY dynamic game, and it's VERY long with an unlimited amount of paths to take.

You are always at the big map that shows the land, all divided into territories owned by people. The VN elements take place if you use an "Action Fan" to watch an event happening in your kingdom, and you can seduce your female soldiers or learn more information. You can also take your commanders into dungeons for rewards, all done through a menu on the map screen. After you run out of "Action Fans", your turn ends and the AI takes it's own turns. I think there is a time limit to the game too, if you use just too much "Phases" and not get anything done you're screwed.

Also, there is a "Points" system that you have to keep up by doing things in the game, and if it hits 0, it's an instant game over.

Each territory has a "City" to take over, and it requires multiple invasions to fully take one whole spot, and they have different styles, so you could fight in a castle or an outlying town. There are items to increase your troop's effectiveness in each place too.

Battle is, well, how do I describe it...You get six commanders and they have an HP bar in the form of the troops they are commanding. They each have a specific amount of actions they can perform, and it's all in this turn based style. You just attack if it's your turn and the enemy does it as well. It does require strategy even at that point, because you only get so many actions and you need to beat the enemy in that "time" limit.

I don't think you need to be any more special than that, it works out fine.

Jake
Support Hero

#21 Post by Jake »

Lunethex wrote:Jake, man, you make me think you lack the ability to understand sarcasm.
This statement I don't understand. You seem to be implying that your statement about the systems you mentioned being 'revolutionary' was sarcasm - a notion I'd discounted 'cause I've heard nothing but good things about Valkyria Chronicles' battle system - but then you go on and imply each system is pretty great.
Lunethex wrote: Also he didn't give you a fully detailed explanation of Resonance of Fate, and you aren't a gamer, right? You probably wouldn't be able to appreciate the true value of these things.
This, on the other hand, is just insulting.

(And for your information - yes, I am a gamer. But I don't own a PS3 so I haven't even looked into Valkyria Chronicles, and I've got other games I'm in the middle of still so I've not even looked at Resonance of Fate. Not to mention that it looks like a JRPG and I've been kind of going off the genre recently. But seriously, you think there are non-gamers who still remember Ring of Red?!)
Lunethex wrote: The style these games use can't be used for VNs, it'd just be a tragedy if you watered all that down.
This statement I just don't understand, however. What is your point? Are you trying to say it's technically impossible using Ren'Py (I know you're not a programmer, you've said so yourself, so it's not a subject you're really qualified to speak with authority on), or are you trying to say that the gameplay style doesn't suit a VN plot delivery?

I've not watched the videos yet, I'm at work, so I can't speak for those two particular examples, but I'm leery of any 'technically impossible' argument or talk of 'watering down'. Action stuff would be technically possible, but too difficult to be worthwhile, so I for one wouldn't bother to attempt it, but honestly, most battle systems I've seen have eminently implementable fundamental mechanics, and it's only graphical flourish that sits on top of that. There's no technical reason that the mechanics of any turn-based battle system I've seen would have to be watered down to fit them into something like Ren'Py.

Lunethex
Regular

#22 Post by Lunethex »

What I said makes perfect sense, and, no offense, but you're really derailing me with huge walls of text. I'm skimming over your posts and I'm most likely not following this properly.

I over stepped though, because I was assuming that those participating in this thread knew about games in general and have played what is being talked about, or at least seen some footage of them, so I thought I'd join in.

I'm just complaining because I am a gamer, and since I've played both games to death, my opinion of their styles being used is low unless it's followed up similar to the original.

And what I meant by "Sarcasm" was, my opinion of the game's combat styles that are in question, they're just too good and Ren'py couldn't possibly emulate the awesome of it. I was being sarcastic.

Jake
Support Hero

#23 Post by Jake »

Lunethex wrote:and, no offense, but you're really derailing me with huge walls of text. I'm skimming over your posts and I'm most likely not following this properly.
- Bullet point version.
Lunethex wrote:What I said makes perfect sense
- You said "can't"; I asked if you really meant "literally can't" or were using the wrong word and meant "shouldn't".
Lunethex wrote: I over stepped though, because I was assuming that those participating in this thread knew about games in general and have played what is being talked about
- Those participating in this thread do know about games in general.
- Knowing about games in general does not impart complete knowledge of two specific titles.
- Since the thread in general isn't actually about any specific other title, it would probably be useful if people who ask about features - potential or actual - could give concrete descriptions rather than referring to specific titles.
Lunethex wrote: my opinion of their styles being used is low unless it's followed up similar to the original.
- This you haven't fully explained.
- Do you mean that you wouldn't want to see something which misses/simplifies game mechanics, or:
- Do you mean that you wouldn't want to see something which doens't have spiffy 3D graphics?
Lunethex wrote: And what I meant by "Sarcasm" was, my opinion of the game's combat styles that are in question, they're just too good and Ren'py couldn't possibly emulate the awesome of it. I was being sarcastic.
- Sorry, I assumed you were being remotely constructive and not just belligerent.

unknown5
Veteran
Completed: (see sig)
Projects: slit-mouth girl, purifier, etc.

#24 Post by unknown5 »

[just wanted to jump in and say VC is a beautiful game, but i have no time to finish playing it. QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ. RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!! also the idea of using the Abraxas engine to display a tactical/strategic battle map like VC is a pretty cool idea (essentially, just substitute a terrain map for the forest bg and military markers for the avatars, then use cut-in shots when they perform an action / engage the enemy, i suppose ...)]
information wants to be free, yo.

usul
Veteran
Projects: Teachings of the Buddha, System-Addict, Generation XxX

#25 Post by usul »

This is a cool battle system for Ren'Py. Did I read correctly you are making the source available? I'd love to check out the code and play with it.
"The universe is non-simultaneously apprehended"
— Buckminster Fuller

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#26 Post by DaFool »

I do admit that part of the 'revolution' was the combination of action elements with turn-based mechanics in both Valkyria Chronicles and Resonance of Fate. If you remove those action elements, they would pretty standard tactical strategy games... in fact whether Japanese or not it doesn't matter, since many Western tactical turn-based strategy games work the same way (It seems to me though that Western SRPGs are more likely to use hexes than squares, while Japanese SRPGs tend to use squares.) I also played Westnoth on linux a long time ago back when I didn't have a modern console and was desparately looking for games.

I think part of the cause of the declining influence of the JRPG/ Japanese SRPG genre is because of modern high definition graphics, people see the cultural differences more so it's only the more Japanophilic people who stick to JRPGs. Like if a regular gamer has a choice of SRPG with catgirls and one without... if he's not a Japanophile (surprisingly the majority of gamers), he's more apt to choose the one without the catgirls. Back during the 8 bit and 16 bit era, there weren't enough pixels to identify the catgirls, so the immediate cultural influences weren't so offputting.

Whether a game is JRPG or Japanese-influence or Western doesn't matter, it all is the same when it comes down to the basics. The only styles I can think of are ATB and tactical, so maybe all Jake needs to do is create two basic versions of his battle engine: The Abraxas version and a standard tactical system where the gauge is based on movement distance instead of time would work perfectly.

The VN engine component will be purely for the "cutscenes" which can be extensively long. I haven't played Sengoku Rance, but the doujin game Piece of Wonder released by the now defunct Hirameki was a good example. Others may disagree with me, but I think it was a great game which balanced out the VN and strategy gameplay perfectly. It was mostly a VN... I think there were only 13 battles or so, yet it took me a good 25+ hours to finish.

So in summary, we just need:
* mostly VN engine
* about a dozen or so battle sequences, either ATB or tactical
* a Garage / Inventory screen where you can prepare your characters / tanks / mecha equipments. A 16-square grid would suffice, and you fill it up with various stat-boosting equipment that are either 1x1, 1x2, or 2x1 blocks large. Let's just assume for now you just obtain these items during the course of the story through VN-style choices. (Not complicated like treasure chests on the battle map, although that could work later).

As for moves:

-move
-attack
-defend
-item (that replenishes or boosts stats momentarily)
-a special move that temporarily transitions to VN mode to display a custom Ren'Py animation sequence which is different for each character. Something along the lines of "Henshin! Gattai!" If there's one thing good the Japanese style has it's the ridiculous posing that's so entertaining and time-wasting.
That's it.

For experience points, it could be Disgaea style and reward the characters that actually defeat the enemy with more points. We can either have the levelling up be done automatically mid-battle, or just tally the exp gained after the battle and use a separate Experience Points Allocation screen where the player can allocate the points however he wants to.

As for the grid, maybe a waypoint mesh or node system would be ideal? I plan to have mountains and terrain obstacles in my game so it's better to have a very flexible grid system.

I'm excited about this project because it's not like an RPGXP game where characters are stationary. It's the fact that you can position them during battle that makes this system potentially more attractive for tactical type games.

linkdragon0
Veteran
Projects: ILoMG, Nomads

#27 Post by linkdragon0 »

I agree with DaFool with about everything he has to say, I would like to see the "Garage"-esque part if you do make one because that would fit into my VN perfectly. (It's a group of Para/Supernormal investigators/hunters that have a huge base filled with awesome weapons.)

Also @ DaFool...
he's more apt to choose the one without the catgirls.
Why would anyone pass up a catgirl? Now if you had said "Samurai" or something more related to Japan I'd get it. I sorta get what you're saying now... But why would anyone pass up a catgirl?

Anyway I'm done here and can't wait to see this battle engine.
My handle is Shoe, please use it if you prefer.

International League of Magical Girls
Story: 60%
Script: 15%
Art: 33.33%
Music: 0.002%
Comedy: <9000%

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#28 Post by DaFool »

I can't reinforce enough the notion that today's "innovative RPGs" are really just either RPG elements stacked upon Action gameplay (Fallout 3; Mass Effect), or what's already mentioned in games such as Valkyria Chronicles -- Action elements stacked upon a conventional RPG mechanic. Remove all the 'Action' part and you won't need 3D... nor even pygame for that matter.
linkdragon0 wrote:Why would anyone pass up a catgirl?
It's a Star Ocean: The Last Hope inside joke :lol: (one of the major criticisms was the character that went 'nyan! nyan!' the whole fuckin time)

Jake
Support Hero

#29 Post by Jake »

DaFool wrote: (It seems to me though that Western SRPGs are more likely to use hexes than squares, while Japanese SRPGs tend to use squares.)
To be honest, I'd say most SRPGs are more likely to use squares. I get the impression that games which use hexes are more likely to be more wargame-oriented than RPG-oriented, if that makes sense; RPG-related stuff - even down to stuff like the UFO/X-COM games - seem to me to stick with squares for the most part.
DaFool wrote: The only styles I can think of are ATB and tactical, so maybe all Jake needs to do is create two basic versions of his battle engine: The Abraxas version and a standard tactical system where the gauge is based on movement distance instead of time would work perfectly.
Well, I can think of a couple more styles, but I'm also trying to allow for mix-n-match gameplay, in that regard. The plan so far is for there to be three main types of 'battlefield' which determine where fighters are placed and how they can target other fighters, and two main 'mechanics', which determine how the game decides which fighters to allow to act and in which order. These are fairly loosely-coupled, so if anyone can think of any extra options I'm happy to consider them, and it shouldn't even be too hard for people to write their own, with a bit of Python knowledge.

So there's a simple battlefield, which is just the straight FF-style line-up-against-each-other, anyone-can-target-anyone approach; there's a battlefield similar to the Abraxas style in the demo, where fighters move around on arbitrary paths and can target nearby enemies; and there's a grid-based battlefield where fighters move around on a grid and can target enemies in adjacent squares (targetting actually has a range component, but still).
And then there's an ATB-style mechanic, where fighters' initiative goes up over time and when it's full, they get a turn, and a turn-based mechanic, where each faction runs through all their fighters once before handing off to the enemy, who runs through all their fighters once. So the game author could choose to have an active mechanic on a simple battlefield to emulate FF games, or a turn-based mechanic on a grid to emulate most SRPGs, or an active mechanic on a grid to do something different. (I can think of games which have done ATB-style prioritising on a free field, stuff like Grandia up to Eternal Sonata, but nothing on a grid comes to mind offhand.)

DaFool wrote: So in summary, we just need:
* mostly VN engine
* about a dozen or so battle sequences, either ATB or tactical
* a Garage / Inventory screen
(Personally, I'm not planning to implement stuff like the garage/inventory screens - or anything else outside of the battles themselves. The battle system should support arbitrary (and customisable/extensible) items, equipment and skills, but how those get given to fighters is up to the game-maker, really. It should be possible to extend the classes to give fighters experience and change their stats accordingly, but I'm not planning on including something like that in the initial release at least. It's too game-specific, to my mind, not to mention that it's extra work that's easy to separate out from the battle system itself and isn't always necessary.)
DaFool wrote: -move
-attack
-defend
-item (that replenishes or boosts stats momentarily)
-a special move that temporarily transitions to VN mode to display a custom Ren'Py animation sequence which is different for each character. Something along the lines of "Henshin! Gattai!" If there's one thing good the Japanese style has it's the ridiculous posing that's so entertaining and time-wasting.
That's it.
What I've done is created a Fighter class which by default doesn't know how to do anything at all, and has no stats. The game-maker can set up arbitrary stats as and how they want, and can also assign 'Skills' to fighters - classes which describe in-battle behaviour like "Move", "Attack" or "Cast Lvl3 Fireball" and can also demand that fighter has certain stats (and should default them if necessary). So while I plan on providing a decent number of 'normal' Skill types - including move, attack, defend and use-item - it should be possible for anyone with a reasonable Python ability to create new ones relatively easily.

(Cut-in animations I'm personally more inclined to do through Sprite classes, but still, I don't want to shut-out any possibilities I don't have to.)

DaFool wrote: As for the grid, maybe a waypoint mesh or node system would be ideal? I plan to have mountains and terrain obstacles in my game so it's better to have a very flexible grid system.
Well, the way the Abraxas demo works is just that all the nodes are arbitrarily placed and linked. Which is very flexible, and allows for movement flowing more-naturally around obstacles, but it's a pain in the arse to actually place all the nodes. To do the ones in the demo, I opened the BG in Photoshop, drew the nodes I wanted over the top on a new layer, then noted down the pixel positions for each of them on a bit of paper, and had to write a line of code for each node and another line of code for each connection between nodes... which becomes a bit of a pain after the first ten or so nodes.

So if anyone has any ideas about how node placement could be made easier without also getting more confusing for the user, I'm all ears. My best idea so far is to write a separate stand-alone Windows app which you can draw out your nodes on and it'll export to a bit of Python code so you don't have to actually type it all out and measure stuff, but that's still pretty cumbersome.

(The main reason I'm planning to do strict grids as well as the node-maps is just that grids make it easier for people to lay out large numbers of nodes at the same time!)

electric
Regular

#30 Post by electric »

Very nice engine ! I must say the icons are pretty cool, I like the sound effects when you hit and also the way the sprites dissapear. The choices between move and attack and defend are interesting, because somehow you then have an interface that flows quite well, so in the case of a rpg-VN I think it works well. Nonetheless, the engine seems quite advanced. The movement with the nodes is cool, it has a board game kinda feel, so , especially in the third battle, I did get a sense of strategy ( I lost the first time :mrgreen: ).

Something that wasn't clear to me was that blue bar under the life point bar. Is it supposed to be the Defend bar ? I think it is but I'm not sure, because it seamed to me it depleted or filled itself randomly. Also, why does it deplete and then replenish itself after each move ?

I have the impression that my character had two turns ( like he can choose to move, or hit and then defend for example ) while all the others just had one, is that right ?

I think the icons could be smaller and more centered around the character sprite, because at times it felt a bit cluttered and confusing as to whom belonged the turn, off course, that is not really an engine issue, but I thought I'd mention it.

I read all the above posts, and I don't get what an s-rpg is ? Simulation rpg ?

I know that the japanese use the simulation word to describe what we call a Tactical rpg. So maybe that's what everybody was talking about.

That's totally selfish :mrgreen: , but I would love to see a T-RPG battle engine, this being my favorite.

I'd love to have also an example of how to to mix during the battle a standard VN-style sprite with a message box overlaying the battle, like if a character at some point decides to speak because he's too injured.

Also, I'd like to have an example of how, if it is possible in the engine off course, to animate a sprite if it walks, and also when it attacks, or defends etc...