layout of art within the game

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
saskuto
Regular

layout of art within the game

#1 Post by saskuto »

Ok so i've played a few visual novels/dating sims and am wondering how to layout my game.
It's a BL adventure romance visual novel and most of the art work is finished. But I'm wondering which is the best way to lay it out...

Should I go for :

a) still sprite images on the screen with the background and changing expressions of the character talking by the textbox

b) sprite expressions/pose change on the screen with the background and no side image by the textbox for any characters(except possibly the protagonist).

c) sprite expressions/pose change on the screen with the background and the side image by the textbox of the speaker.

Also is it usual for the protagonist to have his own sprite which shows up on screen or is it better for him to have just a side image by the textbox?

Any help much appreciated :)

luminarious
Veteran
Projects: Winter, winter

Re: layout of art within the game

#2 Post by luminarious »

Personally, I don't think much of side images. Less faces on screen is less distracting. The protagonist should be visible only if you're talking in third person. It makes no sense to see yourself on screen if story is in first person, unless it's also in past tense! :D

saskuto
Regular

#3 Post by saskuto »

luminarious wrote:Personally, I don't think much of side images. Less faces on screen is less distracting. The protagonist should be visible only if you're talking in third person. It makes no sense to see yourself on screen if story is in first person, unless it's also in past tense! :D
Well the story is in first person. So do you think that a side image only for him when he is talking would be appropriate?

Meems
Regular

#4 Post by Meems »

I would like to see either changing sprite expressions and side images, or changing sprite expressions and no side images. And the protagonist shouldn't be on screen, except maybe in CGs, but I don't mind him having a side image portrait.

Also, as a fan of BL I must say I'm looking forward to your game!

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#5 Post by Aleema »

I read side-images' expressions better than looking up at a sprite and then back down at the text all the time, just to see if it changed. But you should have the sprites there, anyway, to convey who is in the room. It can be easy to forget who's in the conversation with just a background and side-images. Also, I like seeing what the protagonist looks like (it gives them character). Just my personal preference.

You should do whatever YOU find satisfying. People really aren't going to complain about it when you release your game, anyway. And if they do, they're nitpicking -- so you did a good job! ;)