How DEEP do you research for your VN's?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Headache
Regular

Re: How DEEP do you research for your VN's?

#16 Post by Headache »

LOL. XDD In my opinion, Wikipedia can help a lot when it comes to research.

IceD
Veteran

#17 Post by IceD »

Wikipedia is a good thing to start. It helps with issues on the run. Other than that, read more books.

Most of my ideas are set in different realities/enviroment/universes so I took my time to develop them before I even started creating/writing anything. I used to do a lot of research, mostly on technical/social/enviromental stuff. If you want to make something semi-real, you have to base it on existing things. Making something of a thin-air is out of the question there - it will make people rise their eyebrows and sigh "oh, really?", instead of getting them immersed; they propably won't even like it.

It's important to do some good research, but also - don't overdo it to much. Stuff that is based to much on reality tends to be boring, especially if it's fiction.

cloudyssky
Veteran
Completed: Alone
Projects: Many failed ones

#18 Post by cloudyssky »

Google becomes my best friend when researching.
My current VN that's a work in progress takes place in Romania, and I've never been, so I have to look up some Romanian phrases, the geography, history, etc. I'll do a good enough amount until I think I understand what I was looking for.
Projects:
Alone- (Horror/Sci-Fi) Complete! Link
Demokratiya- (Adventure/Action) I'm kind of winging it with this one. Goal is 100,000 words. Yeah, it's gonna take a while.
{Last worked on Sept/28 : Word count (coding and all) ~4500}

linkdragon0
Veteran
Projects: ILoMG, Nomads

#19 Post by linkdragon0 »

For the story I'm working on now TVTropes will be my god.
My handle is Shoe, please use it if you prefer.

International League of Magical Girls
Story: 60%
Script: 15%
Art: 33.33%
Music: 0.002%
Comedy: <9000%

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#20 Post by rioka »

You have to be careful when doing online research though and make sure that the source is actually a valid place to get your information.

So far, I haven't had to research anything much... except for some obscure clothing for Foxtaile (thanks Taleweaver).

Aoyama Ryuu
Regular
Completed: Forty minutes to eternity

#21 Post by Aoyama Ryuu »

cloudyssky wrote:My current VN that's a work in progress takes place in Romania, and I've never been, so I have to look up some Romanian phrases, the geography, history, etc.
I NEED to play that when it's done. Make sure you include gypsies stealing anything that isn't nailed down. That would be a good representation. You can also make reference to a law that existed when the gypsies started coming around here, which stated that "The moment they set foot on Romanian soil, they instantly become slaves in the property of the current ruler."

...Anyway. Regarding research, I only do it when necessary, but not very much. I introduce some psychoanalysis concepts, but I know those from class. Apart from that, there's only supernatural stuff, which don't need to be researched, but rather explained. I usually just make sure things add up.
Forever

Twisted-Eva
Regular
Projects: Our Crossing Paths

#22 Post by Twisted-Eva »

For my project which takes place in a historical period, I'm lucky enough that I go to a university so I can spend my free time in the library looking for things that can be plausible in my alternate-history visual novel. Therefore, I'm pretty much submerged in research for things I can change within boundaries.

winternight119
Regular
Projects: Under the Cherry Blossoms: Memories of a Dream 「桜の下で:夢の記憶」

#23 Post by winternight119 »

Twisted-Eva wrote:For my project which takes place in a historical period, I'm lucky enough that I go to a university so I can spend my free time in the library looking for things that can be plausible in my alternate-history visual novel. Therefore, I'm pretty much submerged in research for things I can change within boundaries.
I second this. My VN takes place in historical periods as well as modern, but in a culture that I'm not native to. Some aspects of culture will need to be researched, and the historical "believability" as well (think historical fiction). So long as it's believable though I don't see the need for too much realism/authenticity. XD
Current Project(s): 桜の下で:夢の記憶 「Under the Cherry Blossoms: Memories of a Dream」 - WIP - click here for more!

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

#24 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

I use encyclopedias and the internet. ^^
Usually, if what you want is mythology, go to your local library. It helps.

Verity
Regular
Projects: Wanderer

#25 Post by Verity »

I do a lot of research—mainly because my works tend to have elements that require it. Thankfully, I have the internet, a university library, and a lot of friends with specialized areas of knowledge.