Killing a heroine or a character...

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
curry nochi rice
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Delicatessen, Whom to Notice, Start of Something, Love Sorcery
Organization: Circle Cosine
IRC Nick: Curry
itch: project-rothera

#1 Post by curry nochi rice »

how would you do it?
how will the player react to it???
Personal (R-13) | Now at IndieDB | Circle Cosine's itch.io
I wanna be done.

IceD
Veteran

Re: Killing a heroine or a character...

#2 Post by IceD »

This is a question for a loooong explanation... Killing main hero/heroine propably will depend on the overall story, but killing characters - it's a different thing. I'm assuming you're looking for some clever ideas, eh? :)

I'll try to help when I'll get home :)

nagirinara
Regular
Projects: World Academy, Galaxy Angel: A New Dawn

#3 Post by nagirinara »

Like Ice said, it would probably depend on the story. It would be more acceptable in a story with a darker theme than something cute and perky. Then again, that was probably obvious. What type of ideas exactly are you looking for? Cause of death or what?
It's Nagi Rinara: Nagi-san or Rinara-chan, not Nagirinara-san. <--- Seriously, don't do it.

Currently making:
World Academy - Version Gilbo
Currently helping:
Galaxy Angel: A New Dawn
Finished:
None =T.T=

curry nochi rice
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by curry nochi rice »

Cause of death and the "method" of death
why did she die and how did she die... why did she have to die is out of the question...

All i can think now is... The heroine killing the other heroine with a Sniper Rifle when she does not get selected, also, she attempts to kill the player but the player gets save by a secondary character...who also gets killed...

the story is like any ordinary school-life story, though it involves Gods and Devils plus magicians a and espers... though all the characters have a dark past when a war was going on during a period in their past....
Are people with Bipolar Personality Disorder prone to killing someone???
I wanna be done.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#5 Post by papillon »

ah, so, you're a School Days fan and want a pile of yandere nice boats? :)

The vast majority of people with bipolar disorder do not go on murderous sprees. Also, it's a common enough disorder that if your game gets at all popular, people with it will probably play it. So it's not a good idea to suggest that your girl goes yandere because of that - actual sufferers are likely to be annoyed.

If you want the classic jealousy-fueled yandere snap it's probably best not to mention any particular disorder, because I don't think there are any that work exactly like that.

If you want a more original way of making one of your heroines lose her mind and start murdering everyone, I would suggest doing some research into post-traumatic stress disorder. Not just a quick overview, but dig into some cases. War veterans who faced horrors in the past can have serious problems with normal life if untreated.

IceD
Veteran

#6 Post by IceD »

curry nochi rice wrote:Cause of death and the "method" of death
why did she die and how did she die... why did she have to die is out of the question...
There was a time when I had some good ideas. Ok...

At first, you should have a clear reason for killing someone in the story. It can't be done with lulz, because this would turn into a black comedy and it can't be done "becue of" cause people will not take it seriously. Killing someone is a horrible thing most straight people even wouldn't like to think of. Generally, such thing leaves serious remarks for the rest of murderers life (either way it's justified or not - we can have a soldier who kills because he has to and a hitman who does so because of money, or a purely normal person). So you have to ask yourself this question - what story is it? If characters fight, then death might be a most normal outcome when someone loses.

I can't agree that killing will be more accepted in a dark tale. If done really good, it will be accepted with no regards to the story type, and as said earlier - some types are prone to foretell you what might happen later in the story. For good examples take at least Higurashi. It's a story when it "happens", despise the looks of characters and reality. Frequently, in horrible manners and mostly with more horrible consequences that later befall on the heroes. Death foretold in such a manner is much more memorable.

For the rest (because it is alot), I can only guide here, and here. :)
curry nochi rice wrote:the story is like any ordinary school-life story, though it involves Gods and Devils plus magicians and espers... though all the characters have a dark past when a war was going on during a period in their past....
Angel Beats? :D
curry nochi rice wrote:Are people with Bipolar Personality Disorder prone to killing someone???
As far as I know, yes - they might be prone to kill someone. It goes on similiar themes to ones that are prone to kill someone during sleepwalking (horrible thing, IMO), but latter mostly occurs on the ground of unconsciousness.

Alfabusa
Projects: Golden Blood

#7 Post by Alfabusa »

I'd do it as sad, sudden and painful as possible.

:]
-Insert funny and creative Signature text HERE!-

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#8 Post by papillon »

As far as I know, yes - they might be prone to kill someone.
Really, seriously, no. You probably know people with bipolar-type disorders, although you may not know it, and they haven't murdered you yet. :) A small number of people with such disorders are murderous. A small number of people without such disorders are murderous.

People with bipolar-type disorders are much more likely to kill themselves than others. They have a highly increased suicide risk. They do not have a highly increased murder risk.

People who have untreated manic episodes can have rage outburts and become physically violent to people near them; that's not really the same thing as becoming murderous, though. And still not even all people with bipolar disorders HAVE those episodes.

.... Now, if you wanted to heap on the tragedy points, a girl suffering from such problems could have a violent outburst, scream, punch another character, and in the process of punching completely accidentally knock them off a building or something. Then you get the depressing death AND the angst of not having at all intended to do so.

IonicMomo
Regular
Completed: Mail Order Bride
Projects: Untitled GxB game

#9 Post by IonicMomo »

Bipolar disorder is associated with rates of attempted suicide about 10-20 times higher than the general population (even higher than those that suffer from Major Depression)...however, I don't believe there is any clear link between bipolar disorder and homicide. The disorder is marked by manic and depressive moods. In some cases, particularly during manic episodes, the individual can experience rage and hostility. But there are a LOT of inaccurate misconceptions out there about Bipolar disorder, so be very careful about what you take to be true. ;) For example, one that always seems to be floating around is that mood swings occur on a daily basis. This is false; bipolar individuals typically experience the same extreme mood for weeks, even months at a time.

Homicide is more commonly linked to psychological conditions such as antisocial personality disorder, certain forms of psychosis, or really anything that causes delusions, paranoia, or megalomania, and even then, only in extreme cases. These disorders are more likely to put those individuals in a frame of mind, in certain situations, to commit murder. (Obviously, this is only true for a small percentage of individuals and should not be used generally to discriminate against an entire group.) Of course, there have been cases where bipolar people have committed murder. How closely that can be linked to the condition itself is unclear; mood disorders do not consistently relate to homicide rates in a statistically significant way.
Current Project: Untitled GxB Game, Untitled NaNoRenO 2011
Completed Projects: Mail Order Bride

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#10 Post by LVUER »

As long as it's not a cheap way to advance the plot, or bend tears from readers, I don't see a problem.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

iAsobu
Regular
Projects: [TBA]

#11 Post by iAsobu »

It makes things more... Realistic? Because a perfect happy ending where everyone lives and is OK is a bit... Um, It can be alright, but I don't know.
And in some cases, a character can be resurrected, or it could be that they never actually died. So the player can be like "GASP!".

curry nochi rice
Miko-Class Veteran

#12 Post by curry nochi rice »

I'm not going to use.. bi-polar/ex-hikikomori girl to kill that heroine....

post traumatic depression would likely be the cause..why this heroine is going to kill....you know, killing your own mother because she got infected by a biological weapon during the duration of that war... <<<---- Spoiler.... trigger would be...

@Iced...
I wrote this story April of 2009..,(now at 33 chapters...) It's coincidence... never watched Angel beats though...
and that site actually had that content? never though of searching there....
I wanna be done.

iAsobu
Regular

#13 Post by iAsobu »

curry nochi rice wrote:infected by a biological weapon during the duration of that war
*And looks at banner in signature*
Huh? Your VN is about communistic-like situations and all that? I thought it would be about magical girls and stuff! @_@ >_>

iAsobu
Regular

#14 Post by iAsobu »

curry nochi rice wrote:...infected by a biological weapon during the duration of that war...
Huh? Your VN is about communistic-like situations and all that? I thought it would be about magical girls and stuff! @_@ >_>

curry nochi rice
Miko-Class Veteran

#15 Post by curry nochi rice »

iAsobu wrote:
curry nochi rice wrote:...infected by a biological weapon during the duration of that war...
yeah...we do have magic girls....and nazi chicks.... banner's a reference to one past event.... I mean World War IV.... it's just reference....making a VN during that time-frame would be hard....
though there would be a ghost of the past situation where what they just escaped 6 years ago would return to them when soviet Australia invades Japan for a second time....
I wanna be done.