Memory loss - Too big a cliche?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

Re: Memory loss - Too big a cliche?

#16 Post by papillon »

Traumatic memory loss is a kind of controversial topic, because of all the messes created by therapists who were trying to "help" and ended up implanting memories in people rather than recovering them. There's currently zero evidence, as I understand it, that it's possible to forcibly recover specific 'repressed' memories at all.

Look up 'disassociation' for a good starting point on things the brain can do under stress.

Chansel
Veteran
Projects: School's Out! -- A GxB or GxG VN/Dating Sim

#17 Post by Chansel »

Hmmm.. It's not a too big cliché, as long as it's well written.
But since it's an idea that's been used a lot before, people are probably going to try and compare it to other stories witch use memory loss.
Not that that's a bad thing, just a small warning ^^
Image ~ A GxB or GxG Visual Novel/Dating Sim

Miyoshi

#18 Post by Miyoshi »

The only Visual Novel where I encountered a memory loss was in "ef -a fairy tale of the two-":
Here I explain the memory loss, how it happend and who has it, but nothing more.
The girl Chihiro was hit by a car which cause a memory defect and she lost her right eye.
Her memory defect is that it works ony for 13 hours, in other words with every second that passes she looses one second of her momory. But she can still remember everything before the accident happend, which means her mind is now just like frozen.

linkdragon0
Veteran
Projects: ILoMG, Nomads

#19 Post by linkdragon0 »

I know nanatsuiro drops, at the end of Fuuko's arc in CLANNAD, AIR.

I'm sure there are a few more but that's all I remember.
My handle is Shoe, please use it if you prefer.

International League of Magical Girls
Story: 60%
Script: 15%
Art: 33.33%
Music: 0.002%
Comedy: <9000%

Wintermoon
Miko-Class Veteran

#20 Post by Wintermoon »

Visual novels where something causes loss of memory: Clannad, Lyrical Lyric, To Heart 2: Another Days, Shuffle.
Visual novels where a main character has forgotten something important before the story begins: Clannad (again), Lyrical Lyric (again), Kanon, Triptych, Shuffle (again), Katahane, Ever17.

It seems that most of the commercial visual novels I've played fit into either category A or category B, if not both.

DonSketch

#21 Post by DonSketch »

My story is about a guy who lost his memory before the actual game starts.Also it is not a fantasy story "something" happened that made him
loose his memory.He seeks for his memory and never gives up (I think...haven't planned that far ahead).So with these facts do I think my story is cliché?Hmm if I say it this way then yes it might sound cliché...However every story is different in fact I never thought my story was cliché until I read these posts.I'm still going on ahead with this project because it's a story I want to share with people.What I mean to say is who cares if it's cliché as long as it's a good story.

Glasskitten
Regular
Completed: I confess to nothing! \(>o<)/

#22 Post by Glasskitten »

linkdragon0 wrote:Trauma can definitely lead to memory loss. Repressed memories and all that.
Like so? http://www.brown.edu/Departments/Taubma ... /Recovmem/
Grand list of things not officially canceled:
Salt -- the heartwarming story of brain-eating space worms
Tangent -- an epic poem and/or novel about a borderline-autistic Martian imp and her relationship with God
Kittens of the Darned -- a grimdark soap opera about sexy catgirls (Indefinitely postponed until I learn to draw and color realistically)
The Other Mary -- the most perfect fic about the most perfect Mary Sue EVER
Rockheart -- a short story about a monster who kills everyone
Corrupted -- a completely different short story about a monster who kills everyone (late Worst Visual Novel Ever)
Checkpoint 36a -- the transcription of a short multi-ending dream about time travel and undead schoolgirls
In Which the Princess is Kidnapped -- an entry in the "ordinary girl ends up in an alien universe and tries to save it" genre
Pictogram Scramble: Magical Friendship Bunny Ivy -- a Flash game about a magical girl making friends (Indefinitely postponed until I learn how friendship works)