Embarrassing question... regarding plots

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Lucifiel
Regular

Embarrassing question... regarding plots

#1 Post by Lucifiel »

So, I wanted to try writing a VN. (No, I'll get to the "learning how to write a game" part later on.)

See, this is where things get confusing... I'd wanted to write a short story but then, the plot outline morphed into 2 distinct versions: 1 is not so fleshed out, the other 1 is more so. Neither is complete 'cos I need to like... decide the characters' personalities first.

So, how would you choose a certain version? Would you use selection criteria like "possible emotional weight", "impact", "quality of the plotline", etc., to make a choice?

Or would you keep both but then rewrite 1 such that it became another story?

Hmmm... runs off to work on the characters.

J. Datie
Veteran

Re: Embarrassing question... regarding plots

#2 Post by J. Datie »

Well, how similar are the plots to each other? You could always make a branching story that incorporates both plot lines.

Aoyama Ryuu
Regular
Completed: Forty minutes to eternity

#3 Post by Aoyama Ryuu »

Well, if they are similar you can make something like Tsukihime's Near/Far side of the moon thing. Still, if you need to choose between, I'd say impact. Still, I don't think you should waste anything in a story, even if the other one has less of an impact it can still be very good...
Forever

Lucifiel
Regular

#4 Post by Lucifiel »

@J. Datie: Apart from "nearly-blind boy meets girl, things happen"... everything is kinda different. Circumstances, story world(in 1 version: there is war, in the other version, there is peace), etc. , etc. Ah well... if it all gets too complicated, I'll simply strip away everything and put the plot into place. With a whip or two. :p

@Aoyama: Mind elaborating? I've not played Tsuki yet. Hmmm yeah... I could present it as another story. That is... IF I can even finish a story first. :p

Thanks, both of you. :)

Aoyama Ryuu
Regular
Completed: Forty minutes to eternity

#5 Post by Aoyama Ryuu »

Well, the overall story was the same, but depending on a key event the story unfolded in a different way. The antagonist was different, the main character's problems were different, but it was set in the same world. Kind of an alternate possibility, I guess... I don't think it would work if the stories are placed in different contexts.
Forever