DreamGate

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
ciera800
Regular

DreamGate

#1 Post by ciera800 »

I'm sure everyone here has heard of the movie Dream Scape. Well I've been thinking about making a game called DreamGate. It is probably going to end up being a mystery/Dating sim. The main character, a young girl wakes up finding herself trapped in her own nightmare. (very recycled...but hey it's good!) She wanders her way into a mysterious old palace where a young boy lives. Together these to have to figure out how to survive and escape their waking nightmare.....or perhaps create the dream fantasy they always wanted.... Let me know what you think please, you'll get a cookie if you do 8D!

cloudyssky
Veteran
Completed: Alone
Projects: Many failed ones

Re: DreamGate

#2 Post by cloudyssky »

ciera800 wrote:I'm sure everyone here has heard of the movie Dream Scape. Well I've been thinking about making a game called DreamGate. It is probably going to end up being a mystery/Dating sim. The main character, a young girl wakes up finding herself trapped in her own nightmare. (very recycled...but hey it's good!) She wanders her way into a mysterious old palace where a young boy lives. Together these to have to figure out how to survive and escape their waking nightmare.....or perhaps create the dream fantasy they always wanted.... Let me know what you think please, you'll get a cookie if you do 8D!
Good luck on this. But quick question: You said they both have to learn how to escape or whatever. So does that mean the boy is also dreaming?
Projects:
Alone- (Horror/Sci-Fi) Complete! Link
Demokratiya- (Adventure/Action) I'm kind of winging it with this one. Goal is 100,000 words. Yeah, it's gonna take a while.
{Last worked on Sept/28 : Word count (coding and all) ~4500}

ciera800
Regular

#3 Post by ciera800 »

Hmmmm well i'm still figuring it all out using the character tips i found on this site, but the boy's been there all his life, i guess you could say he was the very first victim to be taken, so yes they are both technically asleep.

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#4 Post by azureXtwilight »

I think this is a great idea for a first game! But you really should make more characters inside, maybe more boys? :D

ciera800
Regular

#5 Post by ciera800 »

hmmm would you like to help me? I'm open to suggestions, maybe a brother, and an outsider possibly?

Aoyama Ryuu
Regular
Completed: Forty minutes to eternity

#6 Post by Aoyama Ryuu »

How about an antagonist? Dream master? You need at least SOME conflict. But don't listen to me, you're supposed to figure it out on your own... or at least that's how I am.
Forever

ciera800
Regular

#7 Post by ciera800 »

Dream master would be his dad and trust me i have things figured out mostly but help would be apreciated this once lol.

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#8 Post by azureXtwilight »

Hmm, a brother of the boy, or the girl. Maybe the boy's best friend that his dad hates, or maybe an unexpected childhood friend?

And if your characters aren't that many, and involve none to few cgs, I'll be happy to help drawing them.

ciera800
Regular

#9 Post by ciera800 »

ummm sorry if this is a stupid qyestion but.....what's a CG i think i heard of it before but i can't.

cloudyssky
Veteran

#10 Post by cloudyssky »

ciera800 wrote:ummm sorry if this is a stupid qyestion but.....what's a CG i think i heard of it before but i can't.
I forgot what it actually stands for, but basically character scenes. ie; If a character falls down in the grass, you show that picture.
Projects:
Demokratiya- (Adventure/Action) I'm kind of winging it with this one. Goal is 100,000 words. Yeah, it's gonna take a while.

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#11 Post by Deji »

ciera800 wrote:ummm sorry if this is a stupid qyestion but.....what's a CG i think i heard of it before but i can't.
"CG" is pretty much any colored illustration done digitally. I think it stands for "Computer Generated". Some artists sometimes refer to the act of Coloring or Painting a digital image as "CGing"
In games, it is a (normally) fullscreen image illustrating an event of certain importance on the story.
Think of them as images on an illustrated book; they usually have illustrations every few pages highlighting parts of the story.
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

yummy
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Suna to Majo

#12 Post by yummy »

Actually the term CG was used to designate Computer Graphics. That's the term japanese people designate graphics generated by computers (2D & 3D). I think we use the term because it's also how you designate them in Visual Novels.

ciera800
Regular

#13 Post by ciera800 »

thanks for all the definitions lol! anyway yeah, i'm starting to figure out how to make the script with the tutorial and all! *does dance and jig*

ciera800
Regular

#14 Post by ciera800 »

can somehow tell me how to put up a demo here?

cloudyssky
Veteran

#15 Post by cloudyssky »

ciera800 wrote:can somehow tell me how to put up a demo here?
Sure can. Once you've built your distributions, scroll down below where you normally make a post (don't do a quick reply, rather click Full Editor) After that scroll down below where you type your reply and you'll see the option to choose a file name. Click browse, find your demo file, click Add the file, wait a few minutes, and then once your file is uploaded just submit your post.
Projects: