Gearing Up For NaNoRenO 2006!

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#106 Post by musical74 »

(Looking at eclipse and papillon laughing maniacally)

Hmmmmm......

Unless things improve (doubtful) I'm going to have to pull out for this year...I'm still a newby when it comes to programming and with losing a job (planned because it was seasonal) I need to focus on finding a new one...so for at least a month things are going to be very crazy...can I still cheer everyone else on?
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

Quin
Regular

#107 Post by Quin »

That'll be me as the end of March approaches... ^_^;

I'm having serious concerns about whether I'll be able to finish my first (non-NaNo) game before March begins... but nevertheless, I'm going to be bold and stay on board with NaNoRenO. A little Death Clock won't scare me away. Eclipse and Papillon's infernal laughter won't even scare me away. The possibility that I might end up finishing two games in March — well, that scares me... but it still doesn't scare me away. I'm still young and foolish. Well, not that young... but foolish enough to make up for it. ^_^ So bring on the Death Clock!

clubanimon
Regular

#108 Post by clubanimon »

why..did you tie some on to it o.o

Quin
Regular

#109 Post by Quin »

Oh, he's not tied to the clock. He's just hanging from it. (The actor is Harold Lloyd, a silent film star largely forgotten in the shadow of Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton. The still is from the film "Safety Last" in 1923.) I imagine I'll be precariously hanging from the hand of the Death Clock at the end of March... (Coincidentally, Lloyd did not die from this or any stunt; he died in 1971. He did, however, have two fingers blown off his hand by a prop bomb in 1919, four years before he did the stunt pictured.)

Dre
Regular

#110 Post by Dre »

Hi all!

Phew, it has been a while. A lot of things has been happening behind the scenes for me, so I haven't had a lot of time to create anything but artwork. But now I'm free! (yay!) And I'm going to make up the lost time by joining this year's NaNoRenO. Last year I had fun putting together Reconstruction, this year I plan to use the month to try something new for me.(something out of the sifi realms lol)

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#111 Post by rioka »

Glad to have you again Dre! So, will it be contemporary this time? You've done sci-fi and fantasy already... ;)

Akimaru
Regular

#112 Post by Akimaru »

this sounds like fun..
I like to sign up for this :)

I'm new to ren'ai,
are ren'ai games H free? or is there some kind of limit?

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#113 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

Welcome to the forums ^_^ . I'm not sure you fully understand how much work is involved in making a ren'ai game... but I wish you luck!

As to your question, ren'ai games can contain H, but all the ones created by this community thus far have not included any- I'm not sure how long this will stay true...

If you need any help, or have any questions about how to get started on your game, feel free to ask.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#114 Post by PyTom »

I would claim that ren'ai and H are basically orthagonal. One can have a ren'ai (romantic) game with or without H, and one can have an H game with or without romance in it.

In general, If you make a VN or other story based game, I doubt any of us will complain. I know I won't.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Akimaru
Regular

#115 Post by Akimaru »

^thanks for answering my questions.
Shouldnt be much of a problem...
I already started programming one yesterday..but not for this competition of course :)

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#116 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

Programming? Do you mean In Ren'Py? If not, I highly recommend trying Ren'Py- it's a great engine that will save you a ton of time

Dre
Regular

#117 Post by Dre »

eclipse wrote:Glad to have you again Dre! So, will it be contemporary this time? You've done sci-fi and fantasy already... ;)
Yeap, that's what I have in mind, but I have this month and the next to fully think it over. I also need to re-familiar myself with Ren'py. Maybe try some new tricks.

Counter Arts
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Fading Hearts, Infinite Game Works
Projects: Don't Save the World
Organization: Sakura River

#118 Post by Counter Arts »

Yeah, new particle effects and you can make stuff like snow and sakura petals fall. It makes me want to switch engines.

By the way, I am the new guy. I am currently working on something for IntRenAiMo.

I've so far created the outline of the plot, the characters, and the setting. Now I need to actually write out the script. That should take awhile.

clubanimon
Regular

#119 Post by clubanimon »

You know, I wonder how long till we get a game that does have H in it. Blues kindda did not that I could ever get that scene *twiches*

I wonder if we havn't had H because our writers don't feel comfatable with in, either in there story line or writing it
or
The artist dun wanna or feel they can not properly draw it.

for me its the art part, I think I can write a H scene and having it fit to a story really depends on the story, but making one where its understandable isn't all that hard I'd think.

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#120 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

I think it's mostly because we aren't trying to sell it. We don't need to sell it. So we don't put things in, like H, just so people will want to play it.

IMO, there are two types of H games. Ones where H is the reason why the game was made, and ones where H was included to appeal to a more adult and mature audience.

I think it will be a long time before we see an H game of the first type made here. That's because I think people don't get much satisfaction from completing a project like that, unless it makes them lots of money ^_^ . In fact, I think those kind of games may be restricted from the archives. *checks rules* Yeah, the games must contain "romantic love" . So actually, I guess you couldn't really even consider this type of H game ren'ai ^_^;;;

As for the other type, I can't say when the first game of that type will come out, but I feel pretty confident to say that they will always be in the vast minority. Game makers don't have the pressure to put adult elements in their games so the game will appeal to others. And on the other end, their games benefit from not having adult material, because those who find that kind of thing offensive are still able to play their games