Gearing Up For NaNoRenO 2006!

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#61 Post by Blue Lemma »

But as I understand it, eclipse only needs to do the hunting if I'm not done on time. Aww, I think my schedule is slipping! Noooo, I'll never make it! :D

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#62 Post by musical74 »

Hmmmmm.....have to think on weather to switch to NaNoReNo+ or not. For the time being, I'll stay with NaNoReNo.

So if I request you to come after me with the mallet that squeaks if I fail to get the game up and running in the 31 days allowed, does that mean you will, eclipse?
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#63 Post by rioka »

Blue Lemma wrote:Maybe I should join in next year - then I can get eclipse to hunt me down! <3 :Wink: :Laughing:
PyTom wrote:Hm... 2006 _is_ next year. Quick, add Lemma to the list, before he can object.*
Hai! Blue Lemma added to list! :D
musical74 wrote:So if I request you to come after me with the mallet that squeaks if I fail to get the game up and running in the 31 days allowed, does that mean you will, eclipse?
Like the phoenix in "One Grew Over the Kuno's Nest"*. :twisted:

*Ranma 1/2 OAV episode reference.

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#64 Post by musical74 »

eclipse wrote:Like the phoenix in "One Grew Over the Kuno's Nest"*.
You mean the one that hatches on Kuno's head and then at first just goes after Ranma for the entire day nonstop then goes after Akane, and after they feed it who knows how many feeding pills it goes after absolutely everyone it can, all the while having the curator saying "not that I belive the story, mind you"? THAT pheonix?

hmmmmmm......

Quin
Regular

#65 Post by Quin »

In a move certain to signal that I'm utterly nuts, I'm signing up for NaNoRenO... even though I've never made a ren'ai game before. I told this to Rio, who somehow still convinced me that I could learn Ren'Py in a couple of months and I'd have a group of fellow creators to turn to for morale and support.

And, yes, I'm going with NaNoRenO instead of the more generous plans. I've done NaNoWriMo twice and Album-a-Day (create an entire album, minimum 20 minutes or 30 songs, in a 24-hour period) twice, so I'm no stranger to the concept.

Pleased to meet you all!

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: NaNoRenO 2016, Ren'Py tutorial series

#66 Post by Megaman Z »

if you want my fiftieth of a dollar, go ahead and get used to ren'py. there isn't anything against practicing whatever programming\scripting language you plan on using (be it visual basic [which I DON'T reccommend, as both PyTom and darkknight can probably explain], game maker, or [the local favorite] Ren'py) in the rules [unless I'm seriously missing something, in that case, eclipse will probably correct me, which will be followed by the words "last edited on [such and such date at such and such time]" appearing at the bottom of this post.
~Kitsune Zeta

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#67 Post by Blue Lemma »

eclipse wrote:Hai! Blue Lemma added to list! :D
Uh oh, I think I'm committed now :shock:

Quin
Regular

#68 Post by Quin »

Megaman Z wrote:if you want my fiftieth of a dollar, go ahead and get used to ren'py. there isn't anything against practicing whatever programming\scripting language you plan on using (...) in the rules (...)
No, there's no rule about practicing the language, thank goodness. If I had to learn Ren'Py and write a good-sized game in a month, that would be pretty much un-doable. Just as long as I'm not writing anything for my NaNoRenO game, it should be fine.

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#69 Post by musical74 »

OK couple of questions...

Is it OK to start working out the ideas now, or do I need to wait until March 1 to hash out an idea of what the general game is going to be? (newbieish question)

Is it possible for me to combine my efforts with others in the forums? (i.e. say I call on Iaman to do background work..is that OK?) Just need to know how much is on my own and how much I can call on others...want it to be a good game....=)

Kikered
Regular
Completed: Quine, The Secret Ingredient
Projects: Metropolitan Blues, Mirai Imouto, Temple Glen, Fuyu no Tabi, MIA
Organization: Team BG

#70 Post by Kikered »

NaNoRenO rules wrote: ****What is ALLOWED Before the Month****
~ brief script outline or ideas such as synopsis
It also seems like it is fair to combine efforts with other people, provided that they don't do any work for the game prior to March 1 either. After all, development teams can participate, so there isn't much of a reason why collaborations aren't allowed.
Verbosity leads to unclear, inarticulate things.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#71 Post by PyTom »

Anything you want to do is okay. Worse comes to worse, we'll just make up a *Mo for you after the fact. :-)

One suggestion I have for aspiring game-makers is to try to write a short story (say, 250 screens or so) as a way of warming up. This will help you to learn the basics without the time-pressure of NaNoRenO, and without needing a huge commitment of time.

I think a project that short could be fairly decent, provided one doesn't try to be overly ambitious and instead focuses on a single scene.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#72 Post by rioka »

re musical>> Yup! That phoenix. ^^

re Blue Lemma>> lol Can't dig out of this one, BL. Everyone heard you: "Maybe I should join in next year". A lovely Black Pencil slip if I do say so myself. ;)

re Quin>> Hi Quin! Welcome aboard the NaNoRenO boat! Speaking of music... know anywhere good we (okay, more like I) can get music from? (Preferably someone who'd be cool to let us use their tracks for freeware games)

re PyTom>> Another -Mo? I think we're running out of names! (Btw, there's the unofficial NaNoRenO Last Minute Challenge for those who want to create a ren'ai game in 15 days. ^^)

Quin
Regular

#73 Post by Quin »

eclipse wrote:Speaking of music... know anywhere good we (okay, more like I) can get music from? (Preferably someone who'd be cool to let us use their tracks for freeware games)
I really don't. I assume you're specifically not looking for a site like VGMusic.com, where all the music has been used in someone else's game before and where you still have to hunt down the composer and get permission.

Every time I've needed music for something, I've just made it myself. (Uh-oh... if I say something like that, I'll have a line of game-makers beating down my door and wanting me to make music for their games, won't I? o_o;)

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#74 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

*beating down Quin's door*
Quin?! *pound pound* I know you're in there Quin!! *pound pound pound* ... I'm not leaving until I get my music, I hope you know... *pound* ... Quin?! ...

Glasskitten
Regular
Completed: I confess to nothing! \(>o<)/

#75 Post by Glasskitten »

Hmm, what kind of music do you like to compose? *carefully conceals a collapsible battering ram behind her back*
Grand list of things not officially canceled:
Salt -- the heartwarming story of brain-eating space worms
Tangent -- an epic poem and/or novel about a borderline-autistic Martian imp and her relationship with God
Kittens of the Darned -- a grimdark soap opera about sexy catgirls (Indefinitely postponed until I learn to draw and color realistically)
The Other Mary -- the most perfect fic about the most perfect Mary Sue EVER
Rockheart -- a short story about a monster who kills everyone
Corrupted -- a completely different short story about a monster who kills everyone (late Worst Visual Novel Ever)
Checkpoint 36a -- the transcription of a short multi-ending dream about time travel and undead schoolgirls
In Which the Princess is Kidnapped -- an entry in the "ordinary girl ends up in an alien universe and tries to save it" genre
Pictogram Scramble: Magical Friendship Bunny Ivy -- a Flash game about a magical girl making friends (Indefinitely postponed until I learn how friendship works)