Would this work as an Art Style?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
ForgottenVision
Regular
Projects: The Student Council

Would this work as an Art Style?

#1 Post by ForgottenVision »

I can't draw for my life, but over the years I've learned to make sort of Powerpuff like characters. I started back when the Potterpuffs were getting famous in the fandom and I wanted to be able to make them too. While the style isn't exactly the same, it's been rather adapted, it's still character art.

What I don't know, however, is how well this art style would work for a Visual Novel. Here are a few examples of character designs I've drawn. If you could tell me how well you think it would work in a Visual Novel, any sort of VN, I'd be grateful.

Image Image Image
Racheya @ Forgotten Vision Presents...
When Sapphires Cry - Episode 1 [Completed] (Not Publicly Released)
One Afternoon [Completed] - More Info/Download here
The School Council [WIP] - BxG
When Sapphires Cry - Episode 2 [Postponed]

Topagae

Re: Would this work as an Art Style?

#2 Post by Topagae »

Sure, it'd work. It worked for an entire run of a fantastic cartoon series after all. It probably couldn't be too serious though ;3

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#3 Post by Samu-kun »

Sure, whatever art style works, actually.

Momorin

#4 Post by Momorin »

i think your art is cute and it is fine! It would probably fit for comedy genre VN? but it is actually depends on you. Have confidence in your art and that will show in your work. ^_^
Visit my blog
DevArt
[WIP] Autumn Tears

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#5 Post by LVUER »

It's PowerPuff style, right? Why not? They are cute... though you have to make cute/children story too.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

alberte
Veteran
Tumblr: klaruga
Deviantart: Klaruga

#6 Post by alberte »

Lol sure, but your genre is limited..

unless you can pull off a horror with those cute designs,
L0L

Fluffycrow
Regular
Projects: Akita Files (WIP, mystery/otome)

#7 Post by Fluffycrow »

Cute! I'd play a VN with graphics like this. Like Alberte said, though, it pretty much limits your genre to something light and humorous... Well, I could see the graphics drifting into "so-cute-it's-terrifying" quality if you decided to go horror (For instance, the sprites in Higurashi no Naku Ni are pretty cutesy too, but the VN itself is very creepy) but the accompanying writing would have to be pretty creepy to make up for all the cute.

ForgottenVision
Regular
Projects: The Student Council

#8 Post by ForgottenVision »

Well I was hoping that I'd be able to work it as more than just a comedy VN, since I can't particularly write comedy :P Umineko and Higurashi are my inspiration and I like to think that you can use any art style in a Visual Novel as long as the writing is solid enough...

I guess more of a drama/action/horror VN is what I was hoping to consider.
Racheya @ Forgotten Vision Presents...
When Sapphires Cry - Episode 1 [Completed] (Not Publicly Released)
One Afternoon [Completed] - More Info/Download here
The School Council [WIP] - BxG
When Sapphires Cry - Episode 2 [Postponed]

Topagae

Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit am

#9 Post by Topagae »

Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit..."
Last edited by Topagae on Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fluffycrow
Regular
Projects: Akita Files (WIP, mystery/otome)

#10 Post by Fluffycrow »

ForgottenVision wrote:Well I was hoping that I'd be able to work it as more than just a comedy VN, since I can't particularly write comedy :P Umineko and Higurashi are my inspiration and I like to think that you can use any art style in a Visual Novel as long as the writing is solid enough...

I guess more of a drama/action/horror VN is what I was hoping to consider.
I'm not sure about a VN that is purely drama, but as I said before, this could work well for a horror VN. For instance, I once read a VN whose name I don't remember, but all of the characters were these uber-cutesy anthropomorphic animals. You could play through the VN once and it would continue to seem completely innocent, but on a different path the story grew more sinister and the characters distorted into more "evil"-looking versions of themselves. It was pretty disconcerting.

cloudyssky
Veteran
Completed: Alone
Projects: Many failed ones

#11 Post by cloudyssky »

Fluffycrow wrote:I'm not sure about a VN that is purely drama, but as I said before, this could work well for a horror VN.
I sorta disagree. Not in the fact that cute things can work for a horror themed game, just like the cute animal reference there you made, but for this particular style I don't think it would fit the horror genre well. It's simply too cartoon-ish to be in a horror genre game. I know if I tried playing a game with these characters in a horror setting I couldn't take them seriously because I'd just giggling at all the dark and sinister lines they'd be saying. Could you seriously keep a straight face with one of these characters saying "I'm going to kill you with a bloody axe!"? I know I couldn't.
Projects:
Alone- (Horror/Sci-Fi) Complete! Link
Demokratiya- (Adventure/Action) I'm kind of winging it with this one. Goal is 100,000 words. Yeah, it's gonna take a while.
{Last worked on Sept/28 : Word count (coding and all) ~4500}

J. Datie
Veteran

#12 Post by J. Datie »

It probably wouldn't work for slasher type horror stuff, but what about something more psychological? Like, everything looks all cute and nice, but in reality everyone's a horrible person, or something. I don't know, I'm no good at horror, but I think something like that may work.

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#13 Post by Samu-kun »

I'm not sure. It looks a bit silly, but I guess this worked pretty darned well, so with a little bit of stretching and good writing, you might be able to get your art style to work too.
Attachments
814.jpg

LunaVampirePrincess
Regular
Projects: Hearts! LOVEly academy

#14 Post by LunaVampirePrincess »

Uwaaaaa it's such a cute style like the powerpuff girls they're sooo cute!!
Never underestimate anyone....... who knows what they're capable of.....

HumbertTheHorse
Regular
Projects: ... ...

#15 Post by HumbertTheHorse »

ForgottenVision wrote: I guess more of a drama/action/horror VN is what I was hoping to consider.
I would love to see that style tried in a horror VN. Make it with confidence and polish and you could pull off almost any style you like.