Question concerning game engines.

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
YuMMz
Regular

Question concerning game engines.

#1 Post by YuMMz »

So I was wondering if anyone here has used RPG Maker XP, or Verge. Also on the same note can RenPy do more than visual novels? I am looking for a RPG engine along the lines of a Final Fantasy base. With a similar battle and inventory system. Key features would be saving/loading, customisable stats, equipped inventory items that modify appearence in and out of battle. I am currently researching and trying different options, but it never hurts to ask around. Any suggestions?

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#2 Post by Watercolorheart »

Renpy = no real battle system. Look elsewhere.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by monele »

If you're planning on a RPG, do try RPGMaker (2000, 2003, XP...) instead. If you want more freedom, you'll have to go with something like Game Factory or another kind of dedicated engine... or make your own ^^;

Dre
Regular

#4 Post by Dre »

If your looking to do an ff6 and down style rpg, try rpgmaker 2k/2k3/Xp. They can do this easily plus more. If your looking for ff7 and up, try game factory, 3d game maker, etc. I'm not even sure on this one. They used a bunch of pre-render backgrounds for their look. If your looking for ren'py/date sim/ or what you want to call it. I say, use Ren' Py. I've been looking around for some time for a maker like this. Tried a few game makers, japanese date sim makers, and even got a programmer to create one for me. None of them are even close to how great and well structured Ren'Py is. Well, this is just my opinion. 8)
Renpy = no real battle system. Look elsewhere.
Yet......muahahahhaaaa! :wink:

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#5 Post by PyTom »

My opinion of this is that it would be possible to create a game similar to Heikou with Ren'Py as it is now, and a sufficent amount of programming. I would be willing to do that programming iff someone could convince me that a game was going to be completed, but I'm not going to spend the effort until someone else spends more.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#6 Post by Watercolorheart »

Well, no one can complete a Ren'pY game with a battle engine until Ren'Py is programmed with one. XP.

How are you supposed to advance the plot if there is a battle player has to win or lose, and you can't even program the battle?

Here's your sign.

Kikered
Regular
Completed: Quine, The Secret Ingredient
Projects: Metropolitan Blues, Mirai Imouto, Temple Glen, Fuyu no Tabi, MIA
Organization: Team BG

#7 Post by Kikered »

Not to sound like a broken record, but it seems that PyTom would be willing to program up the battle engine if, say, 90% of the rest of the game (script, artwork, etc.) was finished.

It would seem like a wasted effort if it was created and no one used it, although it would be neat to have the functionality there for the future.
Verbosity leads to unclear, inarticulate things.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#8 Post by PyTom »

Kikered has basically got it... If there is a game that's depending on it, I will program it. I just don't want to spend alot of my somewhat limited time on writing a battle engine, and then have nobody use it to create a game. (See the DSE.)

There's also the issue that it's fairly hard to write a generic battle engine, in the same way that Ren'Py and DSE are generic. Things like stats and abilities will differ between games. So my current (fairly uninformed) opinion is that a battle system will need to be specific to a game. We're still probably in a world where something like 50% of announced projects fail to materialize (and I'm as much to blame as anyone for that), so I don't want to spend much specific effort on a game that may not finish.

Now, to answer BCS's question:
How are you supposed to advance the plot if there is a battle player has to win or lose, and you can't even program the battle?
I would suggest using a menu to prompt the user/player/tester for the battle results. Something like:

Code: Select all

menu:
    "Attack by 2xGrue and 1xGhost of Tenzing Norgay*"

"Player survives....":
        # Code that runs if the player survives.
    "Player dies...":
        # Code that runs if the player dies.
* This was originally supposed to be the Ghost of Edmund Hillary, but I checked and found out that he was still alive, at least according to Wikipedia.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

YuMMz
Regular

#9 Post by YuMMz »

I can give Ren'Py a try then and see what comes of it. I will start with something a little less to begin then and see if Ren'Py and work. Maybe just a short battle sequence. I will let you know when I have something you can look at. Probably 2-3 weeks.

Thanks for all the suggestions. The problem I have with RPG maker is that I can't seem to find a way to modify the battle pictures. I really hate it in games when I equip new cool armor, etc. but my character looks the same! I don't want that in my game, while it will require more artwork I am fine with that. I will have to check Game factory.

Dre
Regular

#10 Post by Dre »

BCS wrote:Well, no one can complete a Ren'pY game with a battle engine until Ren'Py is programmed with one. XP.

Here's your sign.
Well actually with some of the stuff Ren'py can do now I can put together a very basic battle system. I was going to do this on Sango just to test it out but the idea was cut out. A lot of the game was cut out. But the next game I have in mind will most likely have a battle system. Not a lot of info on how I want it but I'll get in touch as the ideas unfold.

Admiral Styles

#11 Post by Admiral Styles »

YuMMz wrote:The problem I have with RPG maker is that I can't seem to find a way to modify the battle pictures. I really hate it in games when I equip new cool armor, etc. but my character looks the same!
Actually, if I'm not mistaken, that sort of thing is possible in RM2K/RM2K3 (and presumably RMXP, though I can't be sure). You could use a Common Event that would check whether the hero has x weapon, or y armor equipped. If he does, then it would change him into the correct character set. Mind, you would have to make all those new character sets for each weapon/armor combination, so it might be too much trouble.
"When men are pure, laws are useless;
When men are corrupt, laws are broken."
-Benjamin Disraeli