When to announce?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Topagae

"Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit a

#61 Post by Topagae »

"Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit..."
Last edited by Topagae on Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lekhaka
Regular

Re: When to announce?

#62 Post by Lekhaka »

^ Says the guy who's making a "social network VN maker"? :lol:

Edit: Oh...wait the post is gone now... (I was referring to Charuru) :?:

Charuru
Regular

#63 Post by Charuru »

@Lekhaka
"Social network VN maker" is a mis-characterization. The social part only seriously comes into play for publishers to promote their works.

kinougames
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Working on ミツマタ [Mitsumata (c)].

#64 Post by kinougames »

Jake wrote:
Aleema wrote: In this environment, it is easy to tell when someone is lying about progress on their game because you are releasing your updates among other developers who know realistic completion times. We're all making the same type of game, we know how it goes.
I'd say this is pretty unrealistic, really.
This this this this this!

Different people work at different rates, especially if they have more/less free time. A college student with 12 credits at a CC would have much more time than the 50 hour a week housekeeper. Some artists I know take a flat hour to put out a great piece. Others have to sit and rework and rework and rework a million times to put out the same work. One of the factors of being a commercial artist with a full-time company backing is the speed at which you can do a piece, and there's a reason. The more skilled you are, the faster you can do things of a better quality.
Which is to say that sure, if someone pops up one day and says "I'm just starting to make a game" and then the following day says "it's finished" and it's a fifty-hour epic with all kinds of customisation and flash graphics, you can probably bet they were lying the day previous... but it would be pretty damn easy to lie about your project progress in such a way that a community of developers couldn't really reasonably have a clue whether you were being truthful or not.
This was basically the argument I was making. It's easy to be realistic. You can't quantify what other people do as easily as you think. Some people take years to put out a basic, one-hour long VN. Squeenix takes that same amount of time to make a game like Kingdom Hearts. Is one of them lying? If they were, how would you even go about proving that? Do people call them a liar and screech "YOU TOTALLY FINISHED THAT SEVERAL MONTHS BEFORE YOU SAID YOU DID! I REFUSE TO BUY"? Of COURSE not.
(As to 'defending lying', I don't think anybody did any such thing before that accusation flew; that I saw, the people who could be said to be defending anything like DaFool's suggestion qualified what they were talking about... whereas Topagae's accusation and moral high-horsing seemed totally uncalled for, to me.)
Moral high horsing seems to be a hobby.
Check out the new interactive media project, Mitsumata(c). Follow 8 colorful characters in a story full of drama, horror, all sexualities and exciting gameplay~!

Development blog's up! Visit!