Indie game pricing rambles

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

Re: Indie game pricing rambles

#76 Post by jack_norton »

Another problem of VNs is that even length is relative. From my modest survey, some people like to play all the endings. Others, just play the game once. When hanako and I released Summer Session back in 2008, probably one of the first western dating sim to be popular (was on lots of mac sites, gamasutra, etc) I got LOT of emails complaining because the game was too short.
This because most people didn't know about the dating sim mechanics at all, the replayability of the various endings, and so on. Now seems like "they got it", since for games made next like flower shop, I never got that complaint anymore.
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

Topagae

"Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit a

#77 Post by Topagae »

"Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit..."
Last edited by Topagae on Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kinougames
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Working on ミツマタ [Mitsumata (c)].

#78 Post by kinougames »

Topagae wrote:Not sure what "Higurashi" is. links?
GOOGLE. Really, it's so discouraging that you have the time to be here, but not the time to research massively popular versions of the VERY GAMES you want to sell!
Check out the new interactive media project, Mitsumata(c). Follow 8 colorful characters in a story full of drama, horror, all sexualities and exciting gameplay~!

Development blog's up! Visit!

Showsni
Miko-Class Veteran

#79 Post by Showsni »

It's a series of so called "Sound Novels" (like VNs, but with the focus more on using music and sounds to create atmosphere). There's something ike four question ones, and four answer ones, with the answers providing an alternate view of the events in the question arc that can solve some of the mysteries, or give a different interpretation. The four are basically retellings of the same event but with differences in how it plays out and so on.

I sound quite knowledgeable for someone who's never played them or seen the anime, don't I? (As such, I might be wrong...) But, yeah, google, wikipedia, it's quite easy to find out about them.

Topagae

#80 Post by Topagae »

"Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit..."
Last edited by Topagae on Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Strum
Veteran

#81 Post by Strum »

If you ask a doctor about cancer you'll get the same information as all those websites about cancer unless you're specific about your question. Simply asking what Higurashi is will make people say just google it, since your not asking anything in particualr about it.

I'm no "domain expert" on it but here's my answer for what its worth. Higurashi (English Title: When They Cry) is a series of 8 murder mystery sound novels each sold seperatly for about $25 each. The 8 games are split between 4 question arcs and 4 answer arcs. Although you can play the game in any order its recommended to play the question arc followed by its related answer arc for the story to make sense.

The question arc sets the plot and the murders, the related answer arc focuses on how to prevent the murders from happening for that arc. When one villian has been dealt with another takes their place leading to the next question arc, with the master mind revealed at the very end. Not that you have to concern yourself with how the games are linked since your job is to port whatever you've been given.

The game was a huge hit in Japan spawning 2 animated series based of the games as well as several OVA episodes. The series has been licenced for the English market by MangaGamer.

Jake
Support Hero

#82 Post by Jake »

Topagae wrote:@Kinou
I'd much rather hear opinions about these things from my the domain experts on the forum. I was hoping the person who mentioned it would elaborate.
Rubbish. When you get opinions from domain experts, you get combative and defensive. What you seem to want is to be spoon-fed.
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

Ren

#83 Post by Ren »

kinougames wrote:
Topagae wrote:Not sure what "Higurashi" is. links?
GOOGLE. Really, it's so discouraging that you have the time to be here, but not the time to research massively popular versions of the VERY GAMES you want to sell!

I just can't resist.

Here you go.

I always wanted to use this. :3

Strum
Veteran

#84 Post by Strum »

:lol: That's funny, wish I'd thought of that. The info I dug up is mostly from that page. Come to think of it he did ask for links, that's what google is there for.

Why on earth does he need to carry out this research anyway? Its his clients that sets the price, if they tell him to charge $1000 for their games then $1000 is what it'll be.

kinougames
Miko-Class Veteran

#85 Post by kinougames »

I'd much rather hear opinions about these things from my the domain experts on the forum. I was hoping the person who mentioned it would elaborate.

@Showsni
It is not hard to find the info, but I'm specifically here to hear from domain experts. Like the person who mentioned it in the first place. If I want to find out about cancer, there's millions of pages online, but smart money says to go ask a doctor >_>, a domain expert. In this case I want to find out about VN's, so I'm here on this forum asking domain experts. Are you guys implying this is not a good place to find domain experts and thus I should just google it? Cause I think it's about as good as it gets in terms of English speaking VN domain experts.
The other parts were addressed, so I will address the other thing I found horrific about this comment:

Are you really saying that the hobbyists who go around lemma are "domain experts"?

Do you realize how disparaging it looks to use you for a service when you're not even aware of one of the best selling, most popular games in your field?
Check out the new interactive media project, Mitsumata(c). Follow 8 colorful characters in a story full of drama, horror, all sexualities and exciting gameplay~!

kinougames
Miko-Class Veteran

#86 Post by kinougames »

Strum wrote: I'm no "domain expert" on it but here's my answer for what its worth. Higurashi (English Title: When They Cry) is a series of 8 murder mystery sound novels each sold seperatly for about $25 each. The 8 games are split between 4 question arcs and 4 answer arcs. Although you can play the game in any order its recommended to play the question arc followed by its related answer arc for the story to make sense.
xD I will eternally be messed up hearing that the English name for "Higurashi" is "When they cry", since it's the "naku koro ni" part that actually refers crying.

/annoying Japantard

Mirage
Veteran

#87 Post by Mirage »

I am definitely not domain expert, but since you asked, I'll try my best to explain using what I know. I can't think of a better title to represent episodic VN that's successful other than Higurashi.

Higurashi is unique in that it told the story over and over again with same setting, same characters, but different outcome or point of view. Every time it gets retold, you will learn more things, but it also leave you with more questions.

The first 4 games are known as question arc, where the author challenged the players to solve the mystery. The author also left TIPS in each games to help the players. The other 4 is the answer arc which correspond to the question arc, in which it answers what actually happened within the story.

Higurashi is popular not just because it was filled with moe and violence, but the mystery presented sparked many discussion and debates. Through word of mouth, the game has became a very huge success.

Topagae

#88 Post by Topagae »

Last edited by Topagae on Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Strum
Veteran

#89 Post by Strum »

kinougames wrote: xD I will eternally be messed up hearing that the English name for "Higurashi" is "When they cry", since it's the "naku koro ni" part that actually refers crying.

/annoying Japantard
:lol: Fine, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni - When the Cicadas Cry

@Topagae Point taken, I was under the impression your sole business revolves around you porting stuff to your engine, never knew you sold your own works to. Also we are aware of your free games.

kinougames
Miko-Class Veteran

#90 Post by kinougames »

Topagae wrote:@Domain experts
Yes Kinou, the hobbyists and enthusiasts and this forum would qualify as domain experts on VN's. By definition they've a lot of experience playing and making VN's, so they would qualify as domain experts pretty easily. I find it strange that so many here would preach so loudly about the subject(VN's) as if domain experts. Yet, then turn around and claim that they and their colleagues are NOT domain experts. Although it makes a sick kind of sense.
No, they qualify as hobbyists and enthusiasts. All the information you get here could be found on google if you took the ten seconds to look it up. No one here is in a special VN club. We talk about VNs because we like them. We've played them.

If I like cancer and research cancer, does this make me more of an expert than your doctor? If I tell you your doctor is wrong, are you going to ignore him and follow me because "I looked online a lot about cancer and knew a lot of people with cancer"?

And again, why are you selling something you know so little about?