A question on play time.....

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Aileo
Regular
Projects: Unnamed short project
Organization: [ctrl] + minds

A question on play time.....

#1 Post by Aileo »

Hello, I have a question for you all: what is a good length for a VN? I have a pretty ambitious idea for a novel, but I am worried that the project might end taking players many hours to finish. It's an RPG/VN so it should take a few hours, but how much time would you guys be willing to invest in playing?

Agent-J
Projects: Kiss from Cupid

Re: A question on play time.....

#2 Post by Agent-J »

In general, provided the game stays engaging, people are willing to invest pretty much any amount of time. Think all the professional rpgs that play out at over forty hours.

That said, for you first project, you're better off starting with a shorter game and expanding it after you have a working version than writing out a ten hour game, testing it and discovering that it would have been better at half the play time. One step at a time means you'll be able to tell if you've crossed the point where people are no longer willing to invest in playing.

Mikan
Veteran

#3 Post by Mikan »

As long as it takes to get your idea across. ;)

cloudyssky
Veteran
Completed: Alone
Projects: Many failed ones

#4 Post by cloudyssky »

I started off this month trying to work on a "small project". The idea was to have a half hour of gameplay, but I saw that in order to truly tell the story to it's full extent, I would need to expand that length of time.

I suggest starting off with a small project first, get some reviews, and see how you did. My first project was just about 5 minutes in gameplay length yet it got it's point across just as I needed it to, and people seemd to enjoy that. If you're stuck between making it longer or shorter, the safer bet is too make it shorter. After all you don't want your players to lose interest mid-game and stop playing.
Projects:
Alone- (Horror/Sci-Fi) Complete! Link
Demokratiya- (Adventure/Action) I'm kind of winging it with this one. Goal is 100,000 words. Yeah, it's gonna take a while.
{Last worked on Sept/28 : Word count (coding and all) ~4500}