RenPy source code need :D

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
thirteen03

RenPy source code need :D

#1 Post by thirteen03 »

Hi, I am new member here...

If I may ask, can I find Renai game source code with RenPy? I wonder if it's possible or not. Or maybe do you know best tutorial for starting use RenPy and some example?

Thanks in advance :)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#2 Post by PyTom »

It's best to ask Ren'Py questions on the dedicated Ren'Py forum.

A number of scripts come with the Ren'Py demo game. There's the script for the demo game in game/script.rpy. There's also the script for the DSE in extras/dse/.

Most importantly, the script for Moonlight Walks lives in scripts/moonlight.rpy. This is what you may be looking for.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#3 Post by rioka »

For tutorials, check out these: Ren'Py 101 & DSE Tutorial

For other development articles in general, click on the "development corner" link on the right-hand side.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#4 Post by PyTom »

When did the DSE tutorial come out? I don't remember that one.

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#5 Post by rioka »

It was either during the summer or early fall. There wasn't any announcements here, I don't think... :?

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

It was during the summer. I wasn't in school at the time. I feel like it may be outdated by now... With Ren'Py updating at such a blistering pace, it's been impossible for me to stay up to date. I feel like I'm going to have to relearn the whole thing before I can start coding ^_^;;;

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#7 Post by PyTom »

Actually, the thing is... not much actually changed. Maybe the music system, but even there it's probably about 90% compatible with what you actually want to do with it.

Alot of the changes are adding new features or bug-fixing old ones. I went through the changelog and flagged changes that actually are backwards-incompatible. There's are 11 since last year's NaNoRenO, and I believe most of them are in edge cases that people didn't actually use.

The new stuff tends to be new features. Things like auto-forward mode and the new joystick support are (more or less) transparent to the game designer.

I'd say even if you haven't touched Ren'Py in 10 months or so, 95% of what you know will still be useful. The basics of making a game, things like saying text, displaying menus, showing images, transitions, and the basic branching hasn't changed in a really long time, like since Moonlight Walks has come out.

I've been updating MW to the latest engine, and the tweaks I had to make were minor, and confined to the styles for the preferences.

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

PyTom wrote:When did the DSE tutorial come out? I don't remember that one
Hehehe- check it out:
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... c&start=15
I thought we had talked about it a little...

Well, it's good to know that my tutorial should be pretty much up to date then. Looks like most of what I'll have to learn is how to customize Ren'Py- which I didn't fully learn how before anyway, so no worries ^_^

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#9 Post by PyTom »

While I haven't changed anything in the DSE, I did add two new features:

event.only() stops event processing with this event.

event.choose_one(group, count=1) has the DSE choose exactly one event from a group. It could be used to ensure that if the user is eligable for one encounter, he always has one... while preventing him from having multiple encounters in the same period.

thirteen03

#10 Post by thirteen03 »

Well, sorry for the wrong board... :D

Thanks for all help. But I wonder what DSE is...
I am sooo beginner and interested in making easy renai game.

Is there any other tool that can help me create renai game except Ren'Py? And may I ask (again - about Ren'Py) what kind of game that Ren'Py can make? Can it make game like Tokimeki Memorial?

Thanks in advance :)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#11 Post by PyTom »

DSE is the dating sim engine, something that works with Ren'Py. It handles arc-based stories, and also things like a day planner. So it definitely can make a game like tokimeki memorial.

(The only limitation on something like that is that making a big game like Tokimeki Memorial is the amount of time you're willing to put into. We tend to recommend that people start making a smaller game, as it's easier to finish a smaller game.)

When you ask for a tool to make Ren'Ai games, that may be a slightly inaccurate thing to ask. Ren'Ai games can be of any format. There have been several romantic RPGs released, and I can even think of a series of romantic flight sims (the Galaxy Angel games).

If you're looking for a game where the user clicks to advance the story one screen at a time, occasionally stoping to make choices along the way, we call those visual novels. A game can be a ren'ai visual novel... most of the games we make are of that kind. I believe Tokimeki Memorial is a visual novel, although I haven't played any of the games in that series.

Ren'Py is a tool that lets you make visual novels. If you type in a script, it will show that script to the user for you. It's free to use and redistribute, and runs on multiple platforms.

Another, similar tool is ONscripter, which you can get from http://nscripter.insani.org/. This is an open-source port of a tool, nscripter, that has been used to make a number of professional games.

Both Ren'Py and ONscripter are similar in that they require you to write the game script as text, and then they take care of showing it to the user. Ren'Py is a bit higher level than onscripter when it comes to the language and runtime, so there's that.

(I wrote Ren'Py, BTW.)

thirteen03

#12 Post by thirteen03 »

Hmmm...

How can I run DSE script from Ren'Py?
I found in tutorial that there's executable named run_dse.exe, but where can I found it?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#13 Post by PyTom »

It's in the tools directory.

zen

#14 Post by zen »

I think what he is asking is "how" do you use the DSE code, not where it is. I had the same question, wondering how did I include the DSE function inside an otherwise typical game. Do you call it from script.rpy? Cut and paste in into the script.rpy? Or perhaps just copy and paste some of the script.rpy stuff into the DSE main.rpy file, and use that script as the primary script?. I used this last approach, so I no longer have a script.rpy file anymore, but rather use main.rpy modified with parts of the script.rpy file. Works, but may not be the recommended approach.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#15 Post by PyTom »

Well, he did ask where. I'm not psychic, except in limited circumstances. (Me and my father had my sisted floored by the magic-10-card trick.)

Yes, it's best to eliminate script.rpy when creating a DSE game. (Insofar as there are best practices, which there aren't.)