Is it possible to create a VN game with high re-play value?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
okonomiyaki
Regular

Re: Is it possible to create a VN game with high re-play val

#16 Post by okonomiyaki »

Before you draw anything, I would have detailed list of each one of your 20 endings so you can see far in advance just how much art you are going to need.

Liminality
Regular
Projects: Sorayume no Kaze BxG VN

#17 Post by Liminality »

Like everyone else is saying, 13 is way too high of a number. It will be nearly impossible for you, and too overwhelming for the character to be confronted with so many choices. The branching menus would definitely frustrate me, but the concept is interesting. However, because you're putting so much effort into the size, I would expect your characters to be immensely underdeveloped. Because of that, your plot wouldn't be solid, and I'd play it maybe two or three times (skipping most of the dialogue) before dismissing your game as an overblown disaster of a project.

Love the idea, its just not a plausible/executable thing.

However, for adding replay value, CG menus and ending menus really add to it. If there's an ending list, I'll want to play again and again until I get every ending. A lot of VN players end up being "collectors," and can't stand leaving an ending unfinished.
Zuzu of Liminality Project
Game in Progress
Sorayume no Kaze: B x G
See Here: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =16&t=8627

Marcelo_Orlando
Veteran
Completed: Case of the missing bracelet, Case of the mysterious stalker
Projects: Horror/fantasy
Organization: Kaboyashi Square

#18 Post by Marcelo_Orlando »

Nothing beats an amazing story, I've found myself replaying games in the past with only one ending because I enjoyed the story. Having more than one ending is a plus for most players and if the game is about dating all of the characters then you may have struck gold. Of course there are those here who decide on what games to play by how pretty the menus are so that could help.

IceD
Veteran

#19 Post by IceD »

Ok then, let's get straight to the point. You asked, if there is a possibility to create a visual novel with a high replayability value. Yes, there is, but it has nothing to do with the game itself being varied in terms of art departament.

Multi-routing is one of the ways to increase the value, but in truth, it doesn't give that much of it; not everyone replays the game multiply times just to see difderent endings and most of players treat visual novels like interactive stories (provided it's not a kinetic vn), hence they read most of them only once. What you basically need is a good story and a 'game idea'. You will need solid gameplay elements included. Not only for just playing - you will need them to have the possibility to determine further story outcome a bit. That's what hooks people the most. I reccomend checking some great examples, such as Girlish Grimoire, Born Freaks or even Sekien no Inganock (well, no exactly, but thought guessing minigame was fun anyways), not to mention many cleverly made sim games.

Generally, visual novels don't have a high replay value, it's just not possible for them to normally to have it.

Hollow Gourd
Regular
Projects: Gatemaster!

#20 Post by Hollow Gourd »

Generally, visual novels don't have a high replay value, it's just not possible for them to normally to have it.
I completely disagree with this statement. As a matter of fact, visual novels are made to be replayed; hence the CG galleries and multiple routes. Of course, if the story isn't intriguing, there won't be much incentive to replay it (aside from collecting event CGs, but in that case, the player would just be skipping through all of the dialogue).

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#21 Post by LVUER »

Visual Novels replay value lies in different place compared with "normal" games (or real video games). Video games have real game play (while VN is only reading, though there are hybrid VN). So video games could use game play as their replay value (like random enemies placement in SWAT 4, unscripted battle event in FPS games, loads of different classes/jobs in RPG, etc). Not to mention they also could have multiple endings, branching storyline, and New game + to boost their replay values.

VN, since it doesn't any game play (again, if we're talking non-hybrid VN), it relies on multiple get-able characters, multiple endings, branching story lines, and completing that CG galleries. VN DO have replay values. KN doesn't, since it offers linear single ending storyline.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#22 Post by Sapphi »

LVUER wrote:VN DO have replay values. KN doesn't, since it offers linear single ending storyline.
Allllllllthough, if a story is good enough, it can have replay value too! I'm not a person that likes to get rid of my books after I read them because I know eventually I'll forget most of the details of the story and want to experience it again. Even TV shows and movies, if I enjoy them enough, I'll watch again and again (just not very soon after initial viewing!). Heck, I first saw G Gundam on CN's Toonami block way back when I was like... 11 or 12 years old, and now I'm 20 and I've lost count on how many times I've rewatched the series through just for kicks.

So, even if you write a kinetic novel, I think it can have replay value if it's a good story!
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#23 Post by LVUER »

Actually, me too. I'm a collector type of guy. I prefer to buy DVDs (manga, games, or anime) rather than renting or watching it at cinema. The reason is I often play it again and again. But I think this type of person is not that common (I think I'm quite unique in my family and community). Most of my friends prefer to rent or go to cinema. Watch/read only once and never touch it again, or just don't want to bother having those discs/manga in their room. One of my friends even delete all manga/video files after he read/watch it once.

KN (or anything that linear) have low replay value (and that value getting lower and lower each time you replay it). You could higher it up with something REALLY good (like good storyline or amazingly good art). But it's not easy to pull that off.

Aaaand, if that good story line is used for VN or real video games, then the replay value is upped even further.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#24 Post by papillon »

So, even if you write a kinetic novel, I think it can have replay value if it's a good story!
Also, stories with certain kinds of mystery elements have re-read value for you to go back and find all the clues and hints you missed the first time around, or to see everything from a totally different perspective now that you know what's REALLY going on. :)

Sakura02
Regular
Projects: Ecchie Sketchy

#25 Post by Sakura02 »

Hmm those are all good points. :D Guess it mainly comes down to having a good story. Because even if I did all the other things mentioned, it wouldn't matter if the story is crappy and the player wouldn't want to finish let alone play it again. So I'm going to have to think about creating a really good story/ stories and dialogue. Well easier said than done because wouldn't we all like to create the perfect story . Well, I'm the new kid on block who is claiming to achieve the impossible. Well let's see in the next 6 months if I can prove myself to the nay-sayers, that I am serious and I can make it work. I'm still keeping 13 characters though. :mrgreen:

Blue Sky
Regular
Projects: The Perfect World, Mahou Shoujo Daisuki!

#26 Post by Blue Sky »

You aren't the first to walk this path... *Norway music plays* Anyway, I too am working on a visual novel with a ton of characters - 11 routes in fact. It is not easy, especially when you have to rewrite a scene more than five times... gets old. Fast.

But don't lose heart. There's no time limit. As long as you stay dedicated, you can do it.

curry nochi rice
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Delicatessen, Whom to Notice, Start of Something, Love Sorcery
Organization: Circle Cosine
IRC Nick: Curry
itch: project-rothera

#27 Post by curry nochi rice »

Really, honestly, you should start with a smaller project if this is your first....

from my point of view...
13 characters is too much...

besides, does a VN with high replay value really needs a lot of characters and a lot of paths?
you could always conceptualize something new for your game... something that could miraculously make people play it over and over again.

I'm not saying this game is impossible... if you got time by your side (and also if your staff has time) you could do this within 1-5 years.

P.S.

I almost have the same problem as you. Though I'm not really after the replay value itself, it's just that, there are potentially too many characters to deal with.
Personal (R-13) | Now at IndieDB | Circle Cosine's itch.io
I wanna be done.

netravelr
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Culina: Hands in the Kitchen, Culina: The Spirit of Cooking, Saving Zoey
Projects: Love at the Laundromat
Organization: Lakeview Interactive
Deviantart: netravelr

#28 Post by netravelr »

If I were in your shoes, I would take a part of what you plan on getting into the full game and getting that accomplished first. In my experience whenever I make a huge project I will spend a lot of time getting lost in the little details of things. Taking a part and polishing it... polish and well created games are what makes something replayable to me, but each person has their own take. Love the art by the way, and keep at it, even if you're focused on making the big project. I'd love nothing more than to be proven wrong. :-)
Technical Designer/Programmer
Game Design Portfolio - Project updates on my Twitter
Experienced in: C/C++/C#, Python, Unreal, Unity, and Flash