Wow, another one? ('Our September' interest thread)

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
maru

Wow, another one? ('Our September' interest thread)

#1 Post by maru »

O_o;; Is BL becoming a ren'ai fad?

It matters not. I'm here to announce a game!
Expected release < August 2006. Yes, '<.'
At this point, I am about 40% through creating 'Our September,' (working title). All that remains to be done is to finish the code and draw the artwork. (Meaning that the story is complete and about 1/3* of the code has been...well, coded.)

For those interested, this game will be in first person with a male protagonist, set in a prestigious private school with four male 'gettable' characters and plot arcs based on a combination of variables and choices.

(assertion of heterosexuality and shameless blaming of plot flaws on affiliate)

I've tried very hard to make the game realistic in terms of interactions, such as having certain menu choices or reactions to menu choices based on variables set by previous menu choices. (i.e, if you've been a complete jerk to %(character)s all game and your character score is painfully negative, he will not only refuse to let you share his dorm but will probably reciprocate your rudeness as well.)

Rating-wise, I'd probably give it a 13+ just to be safe, since it is BL and there are a few paths that lead to mildly suggestive (and I mean VERY mild) scenes.

What do you think? :D

*by 1/3, I mean 'I truly hope it's 1/3 but I can't be sure since the plot web looks more like a blueprint for some sort of alien technology.'

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#2 Post by monele »

Sounds good, even though it's not my favorite setting :). I like the idea of different reactions depending on previous behaviours ^^.
How long have you been working on it so far ?

maru

#3 Post by maru »

Meh. I know the 'private-school' setting is so hackneyed...normally I'd try to blame that on the writer, but it's really my fault.

As a whole, the project has been in existance for almost three months, but I've only been working since Christmas. >>;
(I won't count poking my writer as 'work')

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by monele »

"Setting" wasn't the right word, sorry ^^. I meant the "BL" part :). School is something you just learn to deal with when it comes to VNs XD. Mah it would be a good occasion to try out a BL VN :)

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

Re: Wow, another one? ('Our September' interest thread)

#5 Post by mikey »

maru wrote:I've tried very hard to make the game realistic in terms of interactions, such as having certain menu choices or reactions to menu choices based on variables set by previous menu choices. (i.e, if you've been a complete jerk to %(character)s all game and your character score is painfully negative, he will not only refuse to let you share his dorm but will probably reciprocate your rudeness as well.)
That actually a very ambitious design feature, looking forward.

BL... why not, bring on the guys... Although in all the BL stories I went through in games, manga etc, there was rarely anything "guy-ish" about them. Most of all they looked very feminine, long hair etc... talking about literature and honor. Which is fine with me, I for one love figure skating for instance. But why shouldn't two guys enjoy a good game of hockey, talk about car specs and so on? That would be a nice twist. Hmmm... is it because BL stories are written by girls who don't know what an offside or an alternator is? jk ^_^ Have fun making it, that's what counts.

maru

#6 Post by maru »

I think it's more that the intended audience is girls who don't know what an offside or an alternator is. XD

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

BL is written for girls? ... there are still many things in this world I do not understand...

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#8 Post by papillon »

A lot of guys think two girls together is exciting... so why shouldn't a lot of girls think two guys together is exciting? :)

(I do read m/m fanfic, but traditional yaoi art is less my thing.)

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

papillion wrote:A lot of guys think two girls together is exciting... so why shouldn't a lot of girls think two guys together is exciting?
I'm a little scared at how much sense that makes to me O_o;;;

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#10 Post by musical74 »

papillion wrote:A lot of guys think two girls together is exciting... so why shouldn't a lot of girls think two guys together is exciting?
OK that made sense...but, like Shirai, I'm a bit scared on how much sense that made to me...
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

Ren

#11 Post by Ren »

>_> Aaaaah!I can already picture myself drawing fanarts of the pretty bishounens;^;
The school setting can be interesting, if you give it your own twist^_-
*thinks of Ohtori school*

bookie
Veteran

#12 Post by bookie »

ShiraiJunichi wrote:BL is written for girls? ... there are still many things in this world I do not understand...
roffle.

BL is almost exclusively intended for girls. But there are guys into it too.

The romance in BL is so absurdly stylized most of the time that it does not resemble anything like gay romance at all. But I guess the same can be said for most het ren'ai.

Maru, good luck! We can race, haha.

clubanimon
Regular

#13 Post by clubanimon »

Ah another BL writer~

Maybe one of th epurposed BL games will actully get down for once ^^;

I'm rooting for you!
I quite enjoy BL and i think my first ever renai game to buy will be Enzai...though....its so gory >>;

Quin
Regular

#14 Post by Quin »

clubanimon wrote:I quite enjoy BL and i think my first ever renai game to buy will be Enzai...though....its so gory >>;
Yeah, that was my thought pattern when I discovered Enzai. First, I was pleasantly surprised to see that someone had actually made an English-language BL game, and I thought, "Wow, that's great!" Then I started reading Enzai's setting and character descriptions, and I'm seeing "murder", "prison", "violence", "pain", "suffering"... and I realized, "Hmm... that really doesn't appeal to me at all."

Maru, I wish you the best on your project... perhaps it will turn out to be a BL game that will interest me instead of scaring me off. ^_^

clubanimon
Regular

#15 Post by clubanimon »

Um Enzai geos like this from the screen caps i've seen.
murder murder rape rape, murder/rape, beating, rape, death, insantiy, rape, happy ending, rape *nods*

it shugly popular thougth, its even got a OVA >>;
Id rather sushikisho, so cute e.e